Curious for T1s who have lost a substantial amount of weight (say 20+ pounds), how long has did it take?

I'm trying to lose weight and it's going painfully slowly. I've been eating healthy and exercising daily for seven weeks now and have only lost a few pounds.

A few years ago I lost about 20 pounds and I remember that taking a very long time, too (about six months). But that was still faster than what I'm experiencing now.

It's very discouraging when I see people without diabetes putting in the same (or less!) effort than me and losing literally 1-2 pounds a week! For me it seems to be more like 1-2 pounds a month.

Views: 1953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nicole,

Are you a distributor?
I'm skeptical of expensive diet shakes sold through MLM distributors. There are a ton of them out there. None that I've seen are worth the cost or are anything someone couldn't make themselves at a fraction of the expense. I checked out the site of the company you metioned & couldn't find the ingredients listed.
One of my friends is a huge P90X guy, is super-ripped. I tried one of his "Shakeology" things and it was tasty and pretty easy on the BG but is like 120 bucks/ month or about 4x what a month's supply of eggs, toast and veggies to toss into the eggs cost. Even if I toss in some pricier stuff (chia seeds, bacon bits...) it's still pricier.
It's not as if tossing quality protein powder with liquid, flavoring, etc. in a blender is a time consuming thing either. Protein shakes I make are fewer carbs, healthier, filling & better than anything I've seen available commercially. It's all marketing.
If your sugars are dipping because of exercise, can't you adjust your insulin to compensate?
Well, you actually need to make sure that you properly fuel your exercise as well as adjusting your insulin. If you are carb adapted and exercise fasted, then fiddling with your insulin alone is just really difficult. You will tend to either go high or dip low no matter what you try to do. For those who are carb adapted, the advice in Sheri Colberg's "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" is quite good. Eat before workout and appropriately bolus. For those on low carb, the whole feeding of carbs for exercise is less of a problem. I tend to have a protein shake before workouts and do fine.
This is why I don't exercise; it makes blood sugar management more complicated.....kidding.....sort of.
I had a eureka moment yesterday. Junior went to the mall so we hung out, we kibbitzed about getting (largely...) junk food at some restaurant or making the effort to go somewhere "nice" for dinner (and having fancy junk food?) but blew it off and just stayed in and had eggs w/ spinach, broccoli and bacon and a piece of toast and I woke up this AM 4 lbs lighter than I was the day before! I ran too, 10 miles, but that's actually a lot less than I've been running on Saturdays since late June w/ the training so I don't think that burnt off too much? I am wondering if dinner could be a huge opportunity area for me? I had my usual litany of junk food (Mike's Lite Hard Cranberry Lemonade, taco chips, guacamole...) later in the evening after recovering junior but dinner was probably about 30 -45 G of carbs less than usual. Hmmmm....
I check my weight every day. It can go up and down for no reason, as much as 5 lbs. But when you low carb, another thing happens, your body releases water. Many people that start Atkins experience an immediate weight loss of 10 lbs or so in the first week. It is very encouraging, and even has a name (the "whoosh"), but it really means nothing. And your 4 lbs probably is the same thing. Sorry.
I check my weight every day too and it varies by a few pounds some mornings. I know some people say not to check it often, but for me it's way more motivating to check it every day than only once a week. If I only do it once a week I tend to "forget" that I'm trying to lose weight during the week and then probably eat more and/or exercise less, whereas if I do it every day I get a reminder about it and get set in that mindset each morning.
Hi Jen. Zumba is a dance class...sort of aerobics to music. It was made famous by Shakira with her "Out of Africa" video which she created for the 2010 Soccer game. My instructor doesn't care if you get the steps right as long as you get exercise and have fun. She always follows the 1 hour dance with a half hour abs workout. (as a T2 I really need that). Not only does it help with weight and blood sugar but anxiety too. If you want to see it you can just google Shakira and look for the "Out of Africa" video. Haven't figured out how to add links yet.

I'm so sorry its going so slowly. Have you talked to a dietician about this? It should be coming off more quickly than that. I'm also trying to lose about 35 lbs. and just made a daily walking commitment for at least the summer while school is out (I work at a school). I'd really go talk to a dietician/diabetic educator about it. Good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service