Ok I've been a Type1 for almost 25 years now and pumping over a year with a Paradigm722. I have gained weight since starting the pump and I was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully lose weight while pumping and if so, how?

Tags: 1, insulin, pump, type, weight-loss

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you use the exchange system still? If so, it translates pretty easily to carb counting. 1 starch or fruit exchange = 15g of carb, 1 milk exchange = approx. 12g, etc.

The reason why carb counting is so crucial to many of us is that if you can determine your insulin to carb ratio, you can manage a fairly precise dosage to cover your meals. It's much more accurate than exchanges.

How do you cover your meals now? Is there a set amount of a fast-acting insulin you bolus at meals? Do you always eat the same amounts? Do you count total calories? Blindly estimate? How do you figure your meal boluses? That will help give us an idea as to what your first step should be.
Well I carry the updated Calorie King book like a eating out bible for one..it's not always accurate but it gives you a starting place to figure up carbs. Another way is I weighed and measured my food religiously to start with until I got better at recognizing portion size my eye. Now don't get me wrong, I still have problems sometimes figuring all of this up, especially combined meal such as pizza and spaghetti BUT using these tips gives you a good starting point.
I've managed to lose almost 100lbs on the pump, but then gained about 30 of it back. I would just eat a really low carb diet and if I was going low, I'd decrease my insulin using the temp rate. Of course, ok it with your endo first ;)

oh and I did an hour of cardio 6 days a week and 20 minutes weight training 3 times a week
I have, after a healthy weight gain (60 LBS), i started Weight Watchers and I got it all back. I do recommend WW it has been really good for me, and if you see that 60Lbs walking aorund, kick it in the butt,,, i do not want it back.

Rick
Hey I know where half of it went LOL to my bum.
It's all about burning more calories than you eat. I wear a pump and have lost 10 lbs in the past 5 weeks by cutting back on my calories and continuing to bolus for the carbs as needed. As the weight comes off, I'm finding I have to dial back my basals a bit so I don't go low.
I understand turning back the calories but one of my big problems right now is I am trying to quit smoking (yeah I know yuck yuck) and I always seem to be HUNGRY. I try to snack on veggies etc but I still seem to crave my soy crackers and anything soothing (which usually means carbs. Add that to I have severe joint problems and going through P.T. for my rotater cuff exercising is kind of hard. What exercises would you recommend?
I've lost about 10 lbs since I've started the pump 6 or 7 weeks ago. I have to admit, I've no idea how. I dont think I'm doing anything differently.... I'm not complaining though. Since I got married almost 2 years ago, I've managed to gain about 21lbs so I'm delighted its going the other way now.
That's awesome. My hubby actually has lost about 60 lbs since we've been together because he eats the same meals I do so I'm trying to find out what my prob is lol.
I can totally relate. Since I was diagnosed I gained twenty lbs. and then when I started pumping I gained fifteen more, as a teenage girl I am very concerned. the initial twenty was over a two and half year span, but I only started on the pump three weeks ago!
I too would like to know how to lose weight on the pump - I have been working out and watching carbs but still haven't seen much results
I've been T1 for about the same time..over 25 yrs. I am on the Paradigm 722 as well and have been pumping for about 3 yrs now. I was actually hoping the pump would help me lose weight however I have gained which is disappointing for sure! I heard after I got on the pump that you often gain weight the first couple yrs after starting on pump therapy because of your body adjusting to it and then you start to lose. But everyone is different. I lost some weight when I went to the DR recently but still have a lot more I want to lose myself! I've been trying to really cut back on my carbs and get more exercise!! But I do think being on an insulin pump you tend to bolus for things maybe you wouldn't have eaten previously on just shots..at least I have. I guess that's from feeling so deprived your entire life of anything really bad for you like sweets!! ;0) It makes it easy to splurge here and there more easily when you can press a button to cover it which can certainly add on the pounds too!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service