Baby Lauren is here after quite a marathon to get her here.
Started having regular contractions last week wednesday. Thursday afternoon went to the hospital with still regular and painful contractions. They confirmed I was in labor and was admitted. Thursday night they started oxytoxin as I was not dilating. 4 hours later dilated to 6 cm and stuck there they then stopped the oxytocin to allow me and baby to rest, which we did all Friday after biophysical showed baby was ok. We stayed at 6 cm, wth regular contractions but no progress. Saturday morning they repeated biophysical. Baby not moving much, amniotic fluid down. So no choice - cesarian required.

Saturday 24th March at 2pm Margaret Lauren was born by Cesarian Section. They found she was tightly wrapped in the umbilical cord over her shoulder and under her armpit, like a seatbelt tieing her to the placenta and not allowing her to drop down.

I heard dr say "we're in", then "oh, no wonder". She told me there appeared to be no way she could get out by herself, and there really wasn't anything that could have been done different to change the outcome.

I really didn't want a CS and am so glad we tried everything - with careful monitoring - to have a natural birth. However am so glad it was available and we are both fine.

Lauren came out screaming heartily in protest. She weighed 7lb and 6 oz, just under 40 weeks gestation. When she finally stopped screaming, she latched like a pro, and has been pretty much attached for the past 24 hours.

I managed my own blood sugar up until NPO prior to the surgery. They tried to give me oxytocin in dextrose until I caught it and asked them to check with my endo. Then it was changed to saline. They put me on iv insulin and alternated saline with dextrose as my blood sugar was swinging up and down (totally expected with such a regime). In the recover room they were monitoring every hour. Anyway, started feeling shakey and checked with my own meter. low! Told them and they checked. Low! Told me they had to wait for instruction from the endo. 10 minutes later I called them and told them they better do something NOW or I would faint - my vision was changing. They then did something and gave IV sugar.... I am sure all the IV insulin took time to catch up. I was then on dextrose all night and not runnign high at all... to my surprise...

Since then am monitoring blood sugars (not much food yet). A bit high, but not terribly. I guess it will take a few days to shake out and settle down.

The endo assistant did change the frequency of their monitoring from before every meal only to fasting and 2 hours after every meal upon my request. She also told me it is ok now to go up to 140 2 hours after eating. I politely told her that my target 2 horus after eating is still optimally less than 100. She asked how I could be 100 after meals and not go low. I told her the only way to do that is to eat low carb and to use minimal amounts of insulin.

Told her a bit about Bernstein's approach. And that it can be applicable to motivated patients and that it gives excellent control.

She then went and gave instructions to dietary to give me a 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein computed diet. not perfect but a big improvement over their typical 60% carb.

She told me my endo (who is now out of town) told her I was a very knowledgable patient.

Hope she could learn a little / at least see there are alternative ways of management.

I aslo found out that my blood sugar meter is reading at least 10 - 15 points lower (consistently) than the hospital's inhouse (calibrated meter), particularly at higher readings... It agreed more closely at lower readings.. That explains why my A1C was not as good as I would have expected from my apparent numbers.... My 120 could really have been close to 140.

My meter is 2+ years old! So I guess it really should have been replaced a while ago. Big lesson there. We are only as accurate as the tools we use.

They told me the meter company will replace my meter for me for free... and will give me a phone number to call for that tomorrow.

Just started walking this evening... still much pain... but will be much better by tomorrow, I'm sure.

Views: 342

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter. Thanks for sharing your birth story and the photos of the little ones.

Congratulations! Glad the endo assistant listened to you. Wish hospitals would listen to their diabetic patients more closely.

Thanks everyone so much for your support.

Am home from the hospital this afternoon. Totally exhausted now from first 1/2 day home and guess recovery is going to take some time.

Saw my endo at the hospital yesterday. He told me now that I'm not pregnant I don't need to be so strict. He recommended testing fasting and before eating and told me if these numbers were under 120 I would not need to take insulin. However, he told me he did think I needed to still be on insulin, and advised me to start low and go slow in adjusting insulin dose. At least that last part I agree with.

Why on earth do they set such lax standards for people with diabetes. If I could have excellent control during pregnancy why on earth would I not want to maintain that control during the rest of the time.

My baby is a skinny little thing... probably natural for her (as her birthweight is in average range)... endo saw her and said "She's skinny becuase you are diabetic". I was so Pd off at that comment. So I work my ar@# off to have good sugars and avoid her being too big and then I was told she's too skinny.. Can't win and blame everything on D - even though all the literature says that well controlled diabetes in pregnancy is equivalent to not having diabetes at all.

I told him (fully intending to ignore his comments on testing and advice to keep fasting and before eatign to lower than 120), that I would retitrate my insulin doses to keep me at MY target levels... He was happy with that. At least his professional fee was low!!! Compared to all the other hospital expenses.... And he did tell his assistant that I knew more about managing my blood sugars than anyone else. At least he respects my approach - even if I don't reciprocate with his!

Insulin requirements have been generally low these past 4 days since delivery.... though I have had some highs as well... I understand it will take a few weeks for hormones to settle and breastfeeding to stabilise and I can coast a bit for now (will adjust as necessary, and have just restarted a very low basal rate today which I will adjust from, and for now until I get the basal sorted I will only bolus for corrections and will stick with the low carb...)...

Nice for me: 4 days after delivery I am only 2 kg above my prepregnancy weight... so I would guess in a few weeks (if I stick with lower carb) I'm going to be the best I have in years! VERY HAPPY with this!

Yea, Sally! I am so happy for you and your family :) I'm glad that Lauren arrived safe and sound. Best of luck with your recovery!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service