Baby Lauren is here after quite a marathon to get her here.
Started having regular contractions last week wednesday. Thursday afternoon went to the hospital with still regular and painful contractions. They confirmed I was in labor and was admitted. Thursday night they started oxytoxin as I was not dilating. 4 hours later dilated to 6 cm and stuck there they then stopped the oxytocin to allow me and baby to rest, which we did all Friday after biophysical showed baby was ok. We stayed at 6 cm, wth regular contractions but no progress. Saturday morning they repeated biophysical. Baby not moving much, amniotic fluid down. So no choice - cesarian required.

Saturday 24th March at 2pm Margaret Lauren was born by Cesarian Section. They found she was tightly wrapped in the umbilical cord over her shoulder and under her armpit, like a seatbelt tieing her to the placenta and not allowing her to drop down.

I heard dr say "we're in", then "oh, no wonder". She told me there appeared to be no way she could get out by herself, and there really wasn't anything that could have been done different to change the outcome.

I really didn't want a CS and am so glad we tried everything - with careful monitoring - to have a natural birth. However am so glad it was available and we are both fine.

Lauren came out screaming heartily in protest. She weighed 7lb and 6 oz, just under 40 weeks gestation. When she finally stopped screaming, she latched like a pro, and has been pretty much attached for the past 24 hours.

I managed my own blood sugar up until NPO prior to the surgery. They tried to give me oxytocin in dextrose until I caught it and asked them to check with my endo. Then it was changed to saline. They put me on iv insulin and alternated saline with dextrose as my blood sugar was swinging up and down (totally expected with such a regime). In the recover room they were monitoring every hour. Anyway, started feeling shakey and checked with my own meter. low! Told them and they checked. Low! Told me they had to wait for instruction from the endo. 10 minutes later I called them and told them they better do something NOW or I would faint - my vision was changing. They then did something and gave IV sugar.... I am sure all the IV insulin took time to catch up. I was then on dextrose all night and not runnign high at all... to my surprise...

Since then am monitoring blood sugars (not much food yet). A bit high, but not terribly. I guess it will take a few days to shake out and settle down.

The endo assistant did change the frequency of their monitoring from before every meal only to fasting and 2 hours after every meal upon my request. She also told me it is ok now to go up to 140 2 hours after eating. I politely told her that my target 2 horus after eating is still optimally less than 100. She asked how I could be 100 after meals and not go low. I told her the only way to do that is to eat low carb and to use minimal amounts of insulin.

Told her a bit about Bernstein's approach. And that it can be applicable to motivated patients and that it gives excellent control.

She then went and gave instructions to dietary to give me a 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein computed diet. not perfect but a big improvement over their typical 60% carb.

She told me my endo (who is now out of town) told her I was a very knowledgable patient.

Hope she could learn a little / at least see there are alternative ways of management.

I aslo found out that my blood sugar meter is reading at least 10 - 15 points lower (consistently) than the hospital's inhouse (calibrated meter), particularly at higher readings... It agreed more closely at lower readings.. That explains why my A1C was not as good as I would have expected from my apparent numbers.... My 120 could really have been close to 140.

My meter is 2+ years old! So I guess it really should have been replaced a while ago. Big lesson there. We are only as accurate as the tools we use.

They told me the meter company will replace my meter for me for free... and will give me a phone number to call for that tomorrow.

Just started walking this evening... still much pain... but will be much better by tomorrow, I'm sure.

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations! Glad the endo assistant listened to you. Wish hospitals would listen to their diabetic patients more closely.

Yea, Sally! I am so happy for you and your family :) I'm glad that Lauren arrived safe and sound. Best of luck with your recovery!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service