I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic that reacts more like a type 1 diabetic. I am going to try the pump but I get concerned when I read about peoples problems. I am a 56 year old Canadian male with a active construction job that has a various activity level day to day. I am not overweight and do not have any weight control problems.
I would like to hear you recommendations on pumps and reliabilities.

Dan

Views: 1014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really like my Omnipod. A little transparent medical tape you can pick up at any pharmacy is a big help in keeping them on--the tape I use looks like, and is about the same size as, a Scotch tape dispenser. No tubing and waterproof are the things I especially like about it and the company that makes it is good to work with.

Just FYI - I had the same thing happen to me when I wore the demo unit. I ripped the pod right off of the adhesive in my sleep! I'm closing in on year 3 of being on the pod and I have never, ever torn an active pod off of the adhesive.

I'm not sure if they make the demo units differently, or what, but I wouldn't worry about your demo experience happening often. However, smacking the pod that is on the back of your arm on a doorjamb can cause it to go into the death whine, so you will have to learn to be a smidge more careful.

You say you "react more like a type 1" - have you been tested to make sure you are, in fact a Type 2, and not a type 1? Antibody testing and c-peptide are the way to know. You will have an easier time getting approved for a pump if you are, in fact, a Type 1. Many of us are misdiagnosed due to age.

In the summer of 2010, I went the Animas Ping. The main reason I went with that pump was because it was waterproof and my insurance wouldn’t cover the Pod. The pump lasted about 8 months before Animas replaced it. The replacement pump lasted two months before it died. When the 2nd one died, I went round with Animas because I didn’t realize that their replacement policy was that they could send a refurbished pump, which they did. I did not want a refurbished pump and just wanted a label to send it back to them. They ended up giving me a new pump. That pump sat in a drawer for a year and in Jan I decided to try pumping again. Pump #3 lasted not quite 48 hours before it died.

The Ping has a very high failure rate – I am not the only person that has experienced that. I know a couple people using the Ping’s predecessor and are worried about having to get the Ping when their pump dies.

I have a bunch of friends using MM pumps and the majority of my friends have not had to have their pumps replaced. If I ever decide to get a pump again, I would definitely go with MM.

The trouble with the Animas pump ( which I had for 5 years ) is that the housing gets cracked with use. The water proofness of it is lost. I could never use mine to swim and shower. It would leak every time and I had to replace it many times. Finally I gave up and leaned to take it off for swimming and showering. The cracking still was not fixed and I had to replace it again twice when the cracks would not allow me to lock the cartridge in place anymore.

Finally after 5 years they would not service it anymore and suggested I but new one.
I asked for a loaner to try it our because mine was having intermittent problems and they said yes but never sent one.

I switched to MM. I really like it so far, except I have an allergy to the adhesive. The screen and the look of the Ping are the only things it has that is better.

One thing to be aware about the 2 pumps is that the Mm boluses VERY SLOWLY. It takes around 30 sec to bolus 4 units. The Amimas Boluses immediately. I actually prefer the Amimas way of bolusing. I could hear it and I knew it went in.

I have no idea how the others wors, but It cant hurt to get a pod and a few trials of the others.

I just switched to the MM 523 from the 722 and it seems as if the new one boluses faster, although maybe it's the smaller diameter of the reservoir?

You should definitely talk to your endo too. Sometimes the doctors have preferences based on their experiences with other patients and can provide you with good information. My doctor showed me each one, discussed the pros and cons, and then recommended the one he felt was most reliable and durable. I didn't have to choose it, but did.

You should really consider Accu-Chek Spirit Combo- pump, too. It is available in Canada and Europe, but not yet in the US, so it does not get much reviews on Tudiabetes.

It has capacity of 315 units and a very smart full remote/bs meter. Animas Ping has capacity of 200 units. (The new Spirit Combo- pump is different from Spirit insulin pump)

http://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps-ca.com/ipca/products/insulinpumps/...

I am planning to get one later this year, I chose it over Minimed ones.

I currently have Medtronic but warranty is up and I am in the process of switching to the Ping. Should have my Ping next week. I decided to change because I spend a lot of time in the pool during the summer and the Ping is waterproof. With a 3 year old who loves to swim that was what influenced my decision.

It is not really waterproof though. I had one and it leaked almost every time.
you need to change the O rings every month, but the trouble lies in the microcracks that the housing gets. I found it easier to disconnect when I swim. I replaced my Animas pump 7 times for leaks before I gave up on swimming with it.

You are the first person I have heard that has had trouble with that. I will have to watch it closely then if I do decide to swim with it.

To be fair I had the 2020 pump, the one that came out just before the Ping.
The housing looks the same to me though.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service