I have only been diabetic since Jan'09. I have had trouble with two toe infections and fungus under one nail on different feet(I will not put a pic here for the sake of all). For the fungus the doctor wanted to remove the toenail. For the infection the first time my doctor gave me antibiotics and it helped. Now the same toe started hurting yesterday and I got into the doc today. He says the toenail is the problem and "What do you want to do about that toenail?" I said I wanted it to stay on my toe and he gave me more antibiotics. Am I expected to lose all my toenails to D? Has anyone else went through this and is there another form of treatment? Is my doctor a wierdo who collects toenails and make necklaces out of them? Or is this the way it goes?

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your post caught my attention because when I was diagnosed last year, the ER docs said "no more high heels, open toe shoes, going barefoot or pedicures". I was very upset about this because I do all of these things. :( Later, my Endo told me I still can as long as I stay in "good control". I know your concern is more medical than cosmetic of course. I think like others mentioned, if your D is not in "good control" you will heal more slowly in the lower extremities, so while this isn't exclusively a D problem, it is more of a concern for us.

ALWAYS get a second (and maybe third) opinion when a doctor suggests REMOVING a part of you! ;) Maybe you could try some anti-fungals? The mainstream meds are extremely harsh on the liver, but tea tree oil (which is natural) takes a lot longer to work from what I've read. Also, possibly consult a Naturopath doctor for some other anti-fungal ideas. I've also read that HyperBaric Oxygen Therapy has been successful in treating wounds in diabetics, among other things.
My mother who was also a diabetic had some issues with her toe's having a fungus infiltration and not being able to take the oral medications because of fear from her liver acting up which was also in ill health at the time would spread Vicks vapor rub over her infected nails which was also a old household remedy of sorts actually made the fungus diminish greatly almost to the point of it being non existent but did take some time for this to help.
Oh I just thought of something else - when you clip your nails, do not clip an infected one and then go and clip a healthy one - the doc said that's a very easy way for it to spread to all the toes. Dip the clippers in alcohol between each toe. It's extra effort, but might be worth it.
And yes, I agree with Jenn that the oral antifungals are very hard on the liver.
Thanks for sparing us photos!

I had yellow toenails, not too disgusting, but a fungal thing. Teatree oil helped a lot. As Jenn said, it does take a while to work. I also soaked my feet in water with apple cider vinegar. Don't know if that helped.

My endo said that I probably had dangerously high BG for about 5 years until I collapsed DKA, so "just diagnosed" can be a misleading label.
Yes, you have to take really good care of your feet. I'm sure you know that a s a diabetic it usually takes you longer to recover from infections and you want to take precautions to avoid them. You should try to avoid going barefoot. I wear water shoes when I swim. I've also had several ingrown toenails and I know it hurts like high heaven when your toe is in the process of being numbed up before the problem is taken care of.
Know the posts here about what people would do if they cured? After burning my meter & all supplies, I'd run around barefoot. Miss that sooo much.
I used to do a lot of Martial Arts and barefoot was my mode of transportation.
I have done a daily tai chi practice for over 20 years. Yes, it was irksome to have to start wearing shoes and when I went to classes I felt I stood out like sore thumb. But I got over it. You do what you have to do, and life remains good.
Hello Kathy:

Ancient thread, wanted to follow up, if you were around. Which flavor of Tai Chi do/did you practice prey tell? I will assume it is for health and not for martial arts practice?

Stuart
Thanks everyone very good comments that have made me think. I definitely need to be assertive with my doctor and not settle for what the doctor wants to do for a quick fix. If he's got a problem with it, I will call the insurance company and if I have to change pcps. He already seems to not want to give any more referrals for a podiatrist and for surgery for my carpel tunnel (which has been tested in June '09 and is severe in the right hand-the nuerologist is recommending surgery). I will try the tea tree oil, make sure I use alcohol between clipping my toenails, ask about a culture and ankle brachail test and try to get an appropriate antibotic and/or Lamisil. I know the toenails serve some purpose and I like how they look, of course I don't want to lose more than a toenail just for asthetic purposes.
Then you'll be able to paint your toe nails like mine once you've gotten things sorted out (kidding on the blue varnish of course). My feet were cold when I took this 5 minutes ago - it's so unsummerish right now - rain is on it's way ... again ...

I've been diabetic for over 10 years and haven't had any problems with my feet. BUT then I go for footcare every other month.
The doc / tech checks my feet for callous', cuts, blisters, toe infections, etc. Then he/she clips and files my toenails. So that I am very intune to what is going on with my feet. I understand that footcare is VERY important for diabetics, and have seen first hand what happens when you don't care for your feet, or have the doc check them. Are you doomed....I don't think so, but your toe nail will grow back if they remove it.and you take care of them tootsies. I for one wouldn't be the one doing the foot care for someone else, ick! what a job. But it's important Peter to have them checked often. I still haven't talked my doc into polish yet, but you probably wouldn't have that problem.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service