Some fun questions:

1. What's your treatment-of-choice for lows?

2. Do you have a favourite lancing device? (Picker)

3. What's your favourite glucometer?

4. Where do you keep your 'stash'?

5. What's your favourite sugar-free food? (A food that would normally be made with sugar).

6. What finger do you test on most often?

7. What is/was your favourite spot to take an injection?

8. What about your LEAST favourite?

9. If you could change your monitor or supplies case at all, how would you change it?

10. What's the first thing you would do if you were cured from diabetes?

Views: 1649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do you figure doses for cake frosting when you're low?? (and can you keep from over-doing it?

I get those tubes of cake gel/frosting from the markets. They have the carb count on the back but I usually just use that for super lows when I don't have any other sugary things to treat a low with. In that case, I just wing it and suck down as much as I can. But, I guess it would be the same for most things. Like with juice, it kind of just depends on how low I am.

If you suck down as much as you can, don't you then go high? You might want to try glucose tabs. You can figure out exactly how many you need (I use 2 if I'm in the 50s and 3 if I'm lower and then I just come up to normal without going high) Probably doesn't taste as good, but keeps you from going on a roller coaster

I think that we can state that glucose tabs don't taste as good with a high degree of scientifc certitude...

Yeah they definately don't taste as good haha! The cake frosting works for me, it might not for you. I don't usually go high after. It tastes good and it works for me! I especially like the tubes with swirly colors. :)

As long as you don't go high after....hey, whatever works!

Agreed!

Wait, what? You DON'T like biting into a bland, chalky tablet?

I don't expect them to taste good, Valerie, and for some people that's a good thing, because they can measure the exact dose needed and not be tempted to overdo as they wood with sweets.

For me, I hadn't eaten sugar for 13 years when I got diagnosed with diabetes and didn't want to do so. Even though I know they're pure glucose, I think of the tablets as "medicine" and that works well. Many people try having treats when they're low and for some they may be able to control the amounts and not eat too much. But for many, the low also stimulates severe hunger and when you combine that with the psychological "permission" to eat something they normally can't....well, they end up going from 50 to 250 really quickly which is not good for us!

Why not expect oral medicine to taste good? I think a low is a perfect opportunity for a sweet pick-me-up :)

1. Milk, very fast and the bit of fat and protein help to sustain it. Also, skittles are great if you're trending very slowly or not at all and only need to correct a little (a 70 for example) because each skittle is a little less than a gram and it's easy to customize/titrate a correction.

2. Accu-Chek Multiclix!

3. OneTouch Ultra Mini

4. I use a trunk like the kind in Harry Potter :)

5. I make this low fat sugar free cheesecake that is soooo good, I can't even believe it. Also, sugar free jello because it truly is free (most sugar free things use sugar alcohols that WILL raise your sugar just much later which is annoying...) and if you count sodas - DIET DR. PEPPER/SUNKIST

6. Left ring finger.

7. About four to five inches from my navel to either side.

8. Upper back arm.

9. Make them neon, HEYYYY

10. Do a marathon, WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT LOWS!

1. skittles
2. n/a
3. mini ultra
4. under the bed, in the glove compartment
5. Murry's sugar free cookies
6. left hand
7. side of stomach
8. anywhere that hurts
9. i would like not to need it
10. have a meal of cheesecake, oreos, cheetos, french fries and orange juice, yes i may get sick anyway but it will be worth it...lol

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service