Share with others what you are making for dinner, so we can all get ideas of what to try! :) 

I am making a low carb pizza, with an egg crust, instead.  How about you? :) 

(This is not a low carb only thread.  Anyone can post in here... as we can all get ideas from each other, or adapt an idea to our specific needs.)  

Thanks for sharing! :) 

Tags: diabetes, dinner, food

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah.... the zucchini crust should blend well with pizza. I can see it. Will give it a try. What does the cauliflower end up tasting like?
ohh Geri - I haven't had pizza in so long - I must try this!!!!! Thanks!!!

Lizmari - thanks for starting the thread!
Uh oh, I baked the cheese topping with the cauliflower crust - on a silicon sheet. Well, if not done, I will do the boriler. I did the recipe in parts - will let you know how it turns out - it should be done in 15 minutes or parts of it anyway. All failure would point back to me - but I lvoe the concept of flour free pizza!!!! Thanks for the recipe gerri!!
I make it with
6 eggs
1 cup of sharp cheddar shredded cheese
1/4 cup of whole milk
1/3 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of garlic, and parsley... or you can use Italian spices. I have this Badia Complete Seasoning Blend which works really well, and already has salt, so I don't have to add as much. If you use an Italian blend with some salt in it, already, use like 1/4 tsp of salt instead. The crust comes to about 6 servings, and about 6 grams of carbohydrate per serving. Hunt's has a marinara sauce with no sugar which is nice, or I like to use the Hunt's one with tons of veggies for extra fiber... I generally have 2 servings, and I never spike. :) There are lower carb versions online, such as this one: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pizza/r/deepdishpizza.htm. Of course, like Gerri mentions, your total carbs will vary depending on toppings you use. This is my husband's favorite recipe that I make, right now.
Oh, yeah... I forgot. lol Mix all the egg mixture together, until frothy... and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes... then top with whatever you want, and bake for another 15 minutes.
this sounds like a new Hagler family experiment for me!
I should also mention that I use one of those silicone baking things... which nothing sticks, or makes a mess... so... I dunno if would need to use Pam, or something to spray a regular pan. (9 x 13 pan or silicone baking mold)
Angie,

The cauliflower crust won't get crispy like a wheat flour crust because of the moisture in the cauliflower & the eggs. I've spread it as thin as possible & baked it on a preheated pizza stone.
Jan,

It doesn't taste like cauliflower. To sub zucchini for cauliflower, the zukes have to be very dry. Grate zuchinni, put in a colander, sprinkle with salt & let stand for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can. If too much water remains, it will be soggy & yucky Cauliflower works better.
What is "marinara"?
It seems an Italian word but here in Italy we don't have a food with this name.
(I'm trying to translate the ingredients in this discussion... I'm getting hungry :D )
Generally, marinara is just any type of red, tomato sauce, used for pizza or pasta, etc. :) (These people have a different story, though... http://www.italianchef.com/marinara.html) lol
So, it's tomato sauce! :D
Here we call it simply "tomato sauce" (salsa di pomodoro or sugo di pomodoro).
We have "pizza marinara": tomato (pomodoro), garlic (aglio), oregano (origano) and olive oil (olio di oliva), better extra virgin, but here we don't call a simple tomato sauce "marinara".

Thanks for the clarification :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service