What are your specific symtoms of high sugar and at what glucose level do they start happening?

As most of you know from my posts my biggest problem by far with the diabetes is my sensitivity with the sugar levels. I had a tiny snack last night that couldn't have been more then a gram or two of carbs. Within a few seconds I felt my usual spike which in short is very disturbing. Basically I feel like my body wants to explode. Pressure throughout/irritability. I toss and turn and its nearly impossible to fall asleep. Fortunately I finally did and woke up about a half hour ago. Right now I feel like I have radiation around my entire body and very buzzy and irritable. I checked my blood sugar a few minutes ago and it was dead on 100. Based on what I felt last night and what I am feeling right now you'd think my level was 300 or something. Here's the kicker a few minutes ago I took a unit of humalog which will lower me about 25 points and I am already starting to feel relief. I want an explanation how in gods name a 100 fasting blood sugar can be so disturbing. This problem in itself is actually worse then diabetes to me. I know most people are gonna say it can't be the sugar level but 99% of the time I'm over 90 on a fasting I get these symptoms. Seriously, If this was your situation what would you do? Is it even remotely possible it has nothing to do with my glucose level?

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I had really no physical or mental symptoms and to my surprise my sugar was 165. Now within seconds after seeing it I started to feel well not so great anymore"

Hmmmmmm......

Please read this article:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect...

Our minds and our beliefs are VERY powerful players in our day-to-day health.

Look we all know its fact when we don't have enough glucose circulating in our blood our brains are struggling to function. Some people can go lower then others and still maintain function but eventually your gonna be in trouble. I've gotten to the point where I am just more comfortable at least physically when my sugar level is closer to hypoglycemia. Usually I feel best around 80. However based on non-diabetic blood sugar levels I should really have no symptoms physically or mentally at fasting sugars of 100, 110, 120..etc. I've noticed a lot of really weird sensations that don't make any sense and like Jen noted it takes much longer then a few seconds for carbs to break down to glucose so technically if I eat anything that will raise my sugar I should not feel any kind of change for at least 15 min or so but that's not the case. Maybe my metabolism is converting to sugar that quick??? All I know is what I experience is very disturbing to me and I believe it would be the same disturbing to anyone. I know I sound like a broken record but my nerves are shot from going through this. I feel like my sugars are bouncing from 50 to 400 regularly when most of the time I am between 60 and 160. Still no one really answered my question.

They have, Gary, some multiple times, you're just not listening.

But just to tell you what you already know, I don't start to feel symptoms of highs until well into the 200s (more like 250), and even then the symptoms are quite subtle, mainly lethargy and the mild feelings of depression than often accompany fatigue.

Did you read the article I linked, Gary?

People can be given a placebo (harmless powdered milk-sugar in a capsule) and REVERSE CANCER just because they believe that they're getting a powerful new chemotherapy. There is a famous case of a man with huge, orange-sized tumors who was deathly ill going into remission, his tumors shrinking down to nothing, all symptoms of cancer disappearing, simply because he believed that he was taking a powerful medication and this belief triggered spontaneous, natural healing in his body.

It works the other way, too.

Just by believing that you are so sensitive to blood glucose and insulin that the slightest fluctuation sets off mysterious symptoms, you can generate those mysterious symptoms in yourself. I'm not saying that the symptoms aren't there. I'm saying that you can give them to yourself through your expectations and beliefs. Doctors and researchers are hard at work trying to understand the mechanism of this, how it works. If you'd read the article I linked, it explains it in exquisite, irrefutable detail.

Do you want to feel well most of the time? Or do you want to be asking us this exact same question again in two months, six months, fourteen months? It really is up to you. Whatever is going on with you is no-doubt treatable, either through cognitive therapy and/or anti-anxiety medication and/or progressive desensitization and/or diagnosis and treatment of any secondary endocrine problems.

You can get better, or you can stay stuck.

Your call.

Have you ever considered that you are feeling a stress response? Sometimes I feel low but I am actually high and also the other way around and I can also have low/high symptoms when I am completely normal, at times at can be paralyzing because you don't know what to do, one time I felt low but I was 125-130, I wasn't sure if I was going up or down. When you have had diabetes for such a long time, it can be harder to pinpoint those symptoms.

I'm more curious about the mystery snack that "couldn't have been more than a gram or two of carbs"? I've been hitting pork rinds quite a bit lately to try to see if they melt my kidneys and, while they are 0 carbs, there's protein in them that I account for by estimating about 50% of the protein gets converted. Probably at a weirdly slow rate, because of all the fat and salt, but there's still some protein converting to carbs. I bolus for it because I don't want to run high.

I sort of suspect that the other culprit that you've proclaimed previously might be your fondness for cereal? I have cereal occasionally too but usually only if I'm going to run >7 miles and most of the time, I save cereal for "double digit days" as it takes running for 2 hours to get rid of it. Either way, when I eat cereal and "miss" on the bolus estimate (sometimes I'll overbolus for cereal by about 10 units/ serving. That's a serving measured with a scale. I used to eat "a bowl" but I don't do that any more either, too much of a waste of time for me to fix...) I see spikes several hours later if I don't fix it.

The mystery snack was 3 peanut M&M's. When I'm 60 or lower I can literally eat anything without any of those horrible symptoms. Once I start pushing 90 and no insulin it doesn't matter what it is, it all causes the same thing. I honestly will be amazed if it turns out to be anything besides my sugar level. I just tested as I was feeling fine and was right at 83. I took a small sliver of cake just to safe before bed and sure enough I feel like total crap now.

Hmmm, I don't have any Peanut M&M's around to try to weigh to figure out the nutrition info on 3 of them, I'd agree it's not a lot but probably > 2G of carbs? I also have to wonder about the snack choices at your house, Peanut M&Ms and cake, when 2/3 of you have diabetes and control issues? I have all kinds of crap at my house too but I have avoided most of it, aiming at meat, nuts, vegetables and eggs. The 83 is not in a vacuum. If you're 83 w/ insulin on board, cake may be appropriate but it's hard to say what might be going on. It's a wild ride but food is like medicine to me. Part of what I've done foodwise is moving in directions because of working out and finding stuff that reduces post-exercised old guy disorder and veggies and fat and protein all seem to help with that but I think they are pretty good for diabetes too. If I want to beat the s*** out of diabetes, I'm going to use the stuff that works.

Gary as I said before I have all the same reactions to blood sugar fluctuations and I get really upset when I am told it could be due to anxiety/depression, but.............I also believe it is part of the deal which causes us to be so sensitive to food and blood sugar changes. What is your bloodsugar now, when you feel like total crap? I am starting to realize that some of our issues are anxiety as for the whole two hours after I eat/bolus I feel awful waiting to test. I think it is a combination of factors, but I also still believe our body/mind, can only handle steady bloodsugars.

You ask, "Is it even remotely possible [that what I feel] has nothing to do with my glucose level?" Yes. Absolutely. It's much more than likely!

Your meter can't tell you exactly what your BG is: it's likely off by up to 20%. If it tells you that your BG is 100, it could really be anywhere between 80 and 120. If it says that your BG is 90, it might be between 72 and 108. If it says your BG is 110, it could be anywhere between 88 and 132. Since the ranges for the readings overlap, there's no way to know for certain what your exact BG reading is. You already know that.

This is going to sound harsh, but from what I've read of your posts, I don't think you want help with anything. You don't seem confused about your meter readings or your diet or how you might manage your diabetes better, feel better or find a better perspective. You've decided that having diabetes is the worst thing that can happen to you, that your life is ruined and that it's impossible to live well. The only remedy you can imagine is to be the recipient of a new, miraculous invention, procedure or operation that will completely cure you. I don't think you'll settle for anything else. You seem to be locked into the belief that you are uniquely sensitive; no one's experience can ever be comparable to yours and so you can't benefit from things that may have helped other people.

Time and time again, kind, compassionate people in these forums suggest you find help for your depression, whether from a psychiatrist or a cognitive-behavioural therapist or someone with experience in helping folks who struggle with chronic illness. You ignore their suggestions. My intuition is that you don't want any treatment or therapy that has worked for other people because of your conviction that you are profoundly different from everyone else.

I'm very sorry that you're so unhappy. I suspect that you've been so depressed for so long that the idea of feeling well and healthy may terrify you. If you could feel better, the time you've spent mired in your own personal Slough of Despond was time wasted. It also saddens me to see you try to encourage newly-diagnosed people to feel hopeless and despairing.

Most people with depression don't want others to feel as bad as they do, but I haven't seen you offer comfort or hope to anyone. I pity what seems to me to be your lack of compassion for others. I believe that the willingness to be compassionate can lead us to become our very best selves because compassion takes us out of our own, narrow, dim little worlds and opens us to myriad opportunities for life and joy. In many ways, our individual uniqueness is not as important as the things we have in common with others for they are our reality checks and help us recognize that we are not alone. Everyone is fighting a great battle. We’re all in this together.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service