I was talking to a few peeps about this some say it's an awful smell some think it is pleasant.

Just about everyone has something else they think it smells like.
Like " a hospital" or "burning plastic" "bad cologne"

I have always referred to it as concentrated BAND-AID extract. Fresh from the box of course.

It seems to me that all insulins smell the same, although perhaps a "pepsi challenge" type blind smell test is in order.

What does your nose tell you?

Tags: Band-aids, insulin, smell

Views: 2757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a long time I thought it just smelled "mediciny" or like Band-aids. But after reading the book Breakthrough, I've changed my way of thinking. Now it just smells like LIFE. Life in a bottle.

I was actually looking at my Apidra vial the other day AMAZED that such a small amount of liquid keeps me alive for weeks. It's really mind-boggling.

I do think insulin smells like a hospital, though (or Band-Aids, too). It would be interesting to ask someone who isn't around it daily and see what they think.

Wood smoke probably from the phenol and cresol preservatives.

I think it smells like paste, the kind some of us ate in elementary school

I agree.. hospital and band aids.

Insulin

ok acidrock, you can't say something smells like itself. If you had never smelled it before, how would you know that?

That may not be the answer you are looking for, but I agree with acidrock on this one. It smells like insulin. I never thought it smelled like anything else. Just insulin. It's not an awful smell or a pleasant smell...just an important smell.

Like you, I smell concentrated Band-Aid extract as well. Occasionally I still sniff the rubber stopper just to get a whiff and be transported back to a another time and place. It's a comfortable smell, one I'm familiar with.

Actually it smells like phone poles..... because they are treated with creosote, which is closely related to the cresol antiseptic that is added to ALL insulins for our safety. Cresol kills more germs than anything else with no danger to us.

I agree with Theodore. I don't think insulin itself necessarily has a smell, but the preservatives do.

Now, what I want to know is what is that "taste" I sometimes get after I inject?

The next time I see a phone pole, I'm totally running up to it and taking a big whiff. I'll let you know what I think!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service