What is more effective to raise up your glucose when you have it LOW? And How much?

I normally have at lease 1 or 2 glucose low per day. If I am at home during the day, I drink 8 oz of normal cramberry juice. During the night at 4 am when are mostly my lows, I reduce my basal 80% for 2 hours or drink a juice pouch that I always have next to my pillow. Las night I have to drink 2 of them because my glocose was 54 by my dexcom but when I checked with the glucometer, it said 38.
I always carry in my purse one juice pouch and 2 bars. In my car I always have 2 juice pouch. Sometimes one is enough because they have at least 25 carbs but now they are hard to find since they are reducing the sugar on it. I have tried the glucose tables and I don't see they work.

Tell me about your experience!

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I'm just low-ish and dropping (e.g. 70 and starting to feel shaky) I will eat fruit or drink 1% milk and then follow-up with a handful of almonds.

If I'm low-low (e.g. 30's to 50's) I eat glucose tabs or gel and then fight the urge to dump the entire refrigerator into my mouth. Going hypo makes me SO hungry. Yow. Something with protein/fat will settle me down after the glucose tabs, but it's hard to not eat too much.

Bella,
Your basals are set too high. Maybe it's your boluses that are too high.
If you can drink 1 cup cranberry juice and not go sky high, your basals are WAY HIGH!
I'm trying to be funny and serious at the same time!
Fixing a low with 42 grams of carbohydrate is FAR too much.
I think that maybe your need for insulin has decreased while you're pumping. Could be? Try smaller amounts of food while you set your boluses. Try testing your basal round the clock. Skip one meal one day, the next meal the next day, and skip the evening meal the third day. Look at your dexcom and write down what it says for each hour during the fasting time. (I know you don't have to write it down, that it will print it out for you, but sometimes you need time for thinking about it, and writing it down gives you that time to think.) If your blood glucose over the periods during the 3 days does not fall or rise more than 15 each direction, your basals are set right. If they are falling more, please ask a CDE or someone to help you set them close so they don't create lows for you. Take them your write up or print out. And know my best wishes and hugs are with you. This is a continuing problem in life!

Thank you Leo2, I will try to do that.

I try to have something with fat in it. I've used fruit juice in the past to combat lows, but for me it seems much better to have something longer acting in there too, fat is easiest. So recently I've been eating biscuits that have carbs and are pretty fast acting, but still some fat.

I've also moved from a target of 80mg/dl to 100mg/dl, which, obviously reduces the number of BS's below 60. (I don't get much concerned about anything down to 60, after all, I'm a diabetic ;-)

I use juice boxes of OJ. I have a hard time w/ the tablets as they take forever to raise me.Someone on here talked about Skittles candy and i try to have those at work or in the car in the winter. Testing your basal sounds like a good idea.At home OJ works alone unless I have active insulin the I need nuts but only after I take the OJ. I used to suspend but then 12 hours later i would be high.Jelly beans have worked. The dextrose stuff also works and isnt sensitive to temperature. I love your dog.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service