Hey there all! I'm just curious to find out how much others are taking in each dosage of Symlin at the meals... I am using the pen and injecting 60 mcg.

So how much are you taking and what is your method of delivery?

Views: 679

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kaayle,

I use 45 mcg at some meals, depending on my pre-meal blood sugar, amount of carbs and type of carbs. I use the pen. I do find that it really helps me from spiking for the most part.

Kelly
That is interesting... I am going to discuss that option with my endo... Symlin seems to prolong the spike after a meal to 2 or 3 hours rather than having it within 30 min to an hour... Thanks!
I'm taking 120 mcg with the pen. (I actually think they discontinued the vials). I believe the spike from Symlin can be as late as 3 1/2 or 4 hours as it slows digestion. I test my blood sugar and bolus my insulin at the one hour mark but test at the 4 hour mark now, rather than the 2 hour when I spiked before. My numbers are in target range about the same percentage as they were before Symlin, but I am only taking 1/2 the insulin for breakfast and lunch and 60% at dinner.
I take my symlin right before eating, and sometimes up to 15 minutes or so before eating (if I am higher when testing.) I usually bolus right after eating and square wave my bolus for 2 hours. This usually keeps me in a good target range...usually.
Kelly, I do the same thing... But what do you mean by square wave your bolus? Is that like on the animas pump a combo bolus where it is dispersed over "x" amount of time? I think that would work.
I have the minimed pump, and always have, so I don't know the exact capabilities or terminology for the animas pump, but a square wave bolus is a bolus that is spread out over a user-set amount of time to be dispersed so that is not given all at once. I used to square wave my bolus starting an hour after eating, but it seems to work this way now, starting the bolus just after eating and spreading it out for two hours. If I end up not taking my symlin for whatever reason, I do a normal bolus. And sometimes with pizza, I square wave my bolus for three hours. I cannot comment the exact results for that because I have not had pizza often enough to see a pattern, but I usually do not spike after eating pizza!
Wow! That's very cool... I had Mexican today for lunch and did a combo bolus (same as your square wave), for three hours and still spiked... Are you bolusing for half the carbs doing it that way too? My diabetes educator said that she waits 30 minutes after she eats then bolus' and gives herself about 20 carbs as a freebee while she is on the Symlin. I tried 120 mcg for the first time today... I felt a bit naseated but it subsided quickly. My endo told me not to push it and to stick with 60 if 120 was too difficult on me.
Kelly, you will be pleased to know I have discovered the method that works for me... I didn't spike at all yesterday! Basically, I waited 30 to 60 minutes after eating and then bolused for 20 carbs less and BINGO! It worked! No spike! Now I am truly hooked... Just need to remember to shoot up now... LOL
That's great, Kaayle! I am doing pretty good without spiking. It seems lately I go too low, and when I spike, is when I over-correct. Sometimes my correction works, and sometimes I spike. I am so looking forward to my CDE appointment on Monday. I am meeting with Gary Scheiner, the author of Think Like A Pancreas. I am hoping to learn lots more and to work out the kinks. Another thing that is helping me with my sugars is Weight Watchers. For some odd reason I have not lost weight, but my blood sugars are so much better.
That's spectacular! Let us all know how that goes with Gary! Well, now you have one less thing to stress out about! LOL.. Are you on an exercise regimen?
Kelly, do you know what level they are going to move you to? I am not sure if my doctor will be moving mine up to 120 mcg or keep me at 60 mcg. But I also have been on this for a few months now and am just now able to get my schedule lined up with my endo to follow up on the Symlin. Do you have a follow up after a few weeks at 60 mcg?
Kaayle,

I have been on 45 mcg for about 2 months now. My endo didn't want me to go up to 60 yet till I was able to give her more detailed reports. I am going to see my cde on Monday; I am sure that he will be able to answer my questions and give me much more guidance regarding the symlin and dosing, timing, food types, and all that! I will let you know what he has to say!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service