For me, the soft, hot, sticky, white steamed rice....it makes my bs level to go up to almost 400....yikes!

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pecan pie / never again!!!!
Carbs in the morning! I stick to a low carb protein drink for breakfast.
Right now it is a frappucino from Starbucks. I am mad that I can't have.

Since being diagnosed I haven't gone back to eating any of my stable high carb foods that I know would probably send me skyrocketing. I will probably experiment with them again one day in small portion but right now I am not ready to do it again until I know I have pushed my A1C down.

My favorite meal is biscuits are gravy (vegan). I used to eat a big plate for breakfast/brunch all the time. I made my own biscuits - big poufy ones usually three and lots of gravy topped by some sour cream. I tried to calculate the carbs in that meal after I was diagnosed - It was pretty close to 100 I think. :( I am pretty sure these are out for me - at least the way I used to eat them.
My daughter reacts very high to all foods in the morning. She is not on the pump and due to her only being 2 we treat her with 1 injection after she eats breakfast. B/c of her reaction in the morning her ratio is 1/2u per 15 carbs. Whereas her dinner ratio is 1/2U per 25 carbs. Starting to see that it isn't really the food but the time of the day. Gave her Captain Crunch cereal for dinner one night and she didn't shoot up like she would have in the morning. (Yes I know Captain Crunch is not the healthiest choice, but she is 2 and her brother had some. It was a treat not an everyday thing.)
Her worst food is Pop Tarts. It will drive her up and up all day long. They are banned from our house.
Pizza is my love and all my experiments so far show I can tolerate it (no more than 2 slices) so I am happy , but recently grapes, white steamed rice , and hot dog buns or the hot dog and fixins itself from Fab Hot Dogs...just got crossed off my list.... I really try and eat all the other "dangerous" foods in such minimal quantities (2-3 fries, small bite of white bread sandwiches, 3-4 pretzels or crackers at a time) but I am still very much in the discovery stages of what I can handle and what I cant.
Ice cream and yogurt really kill me. And of course pizza and french fries, and anything fried. :)

Oddly enough, I can handle rice and pasta just fine.
I have a new one....french baquettes. Being on the pump, I am finding that bolusing extra and extending the delivery for protein and fat helps me eat some harder to deal with things like pizza or ice cream. Baquettes are different....low fat.....any protein? But man, they raise my #'s way further than the carbs should do by themselves. I suspect that dipping in olive oil would slow down and extend the spike so I quess I'll just have to try that in the name of science!
Me too. Baguettes seem to send my BS sky high. When I mentioned this to my doctor she said "Of course, it's made from white flour!"

I did find a whole wheat baguette at Whole Foods that was a bit better. But it's still a sometimes treat and I make sure to weigh the serving so I know how much I'm eating.

Cheers,
Corinna
Pancakes and Pretzels make me go sky high!
Bread.
I can't eat any more then about 25 g of carbs at a meal, less if I don't include some protein and fat. That includes all the good carbs. I can't eat squash, or brown rice or barley, I can't eat most fruits. I bought some high fiber sprouted flax seed bread, when I got home I read the label more carefully, and it runs about 20 g of carbs per slice. Can't eat it.

I roam my health food store and there is about as much there I can eat as in a regular grocery, which is to say not much.

I saw this wonderful "healthy" candy bar, at about 10g of carbs per serving. Then I read carefully, and its 4 servings per bar!! I am not going to wase 10g on a single bite of candy.

White bread and pasta

Bananas

Dried fruit

Pizza

Sugary treats such as cakes/pies and very high fat icecream like Cold Cremery.  Insulin seems to handle sweets with some fat, but if there is an extraordinary amount of fat, she has a problem. If she carb loaded junk food (had more than a serving, as has rarely happened) there are problems.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service