I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.

I'm just wondering what is a normal or what is a good number I had not heard of this until I downloaded my cgm and saw my SD number so I went on to google it to see what I could find, but I figured I get better answers here, so I wonder if anyone keeps track of that and if there is a number we should try to aim for and keep it at?

Views: 2089

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

27 when I checked earlier in the week.

wow that's a great SD # so your BS must be less than 120 most of the time?

well, 27 would just mean it doesn't go too far from the average very much but yeah, I try to keep my average pretty tightly controlled?

Only during the last year have I begun to appreciate the value of monitoring standard deviation. I think it's more important than A1c as an indication of good BG control. Standard deviation reflects BG variability, something the A1c doesn't reflect at all.

Any standard deviation number should also include the period covered. My standard deviation for the last seven days is 35. Last week it was 42. During the last month it was 41 and the last 90 days it was 49. My goal is a standard deviation for all periods at 30 or under.

A standard deviation of 30 means that 68% of BG numbers fall within +/- 30 of the average. If the average is 110, then 68% of the BG numbers fall within 80-140.

I'm working on a better standard deviation and it is improving.

You're line of questioning is worthwhile. Good luck!

so how do I go about knowing my SD# without my dex, if I want a SD# for one week do I add up all my numbers and then figure out the mean or do I have to do something else?

This wikipedia page explains well how standard deviation is calculated. It's not too complicated.

You could take the numbers from your finger-stick meter (from whatever period of time you choose) and calculate the standard deviation. Alternately, spreadsheet programs like Excel contain the formulas for calculating SD.

Your curiosity hints at good success with the evil D!

awesome thanks so much for all the info!! and you have no idea how hard I'm trying to bring my numbers down I have gone from no exercise to exercising 6x's a week eating out 3 to 4x's a week to limiting it down to twice a week if that. My fasting glucose use to be 200-240 now its 100-160, after meals it used to go way over 250 now its rare if it goes over 220 still have a lot of work to do but I'm getting there :)

Congrats, you're doing all the right stuff. Now the hard part -- sustain!

I apologize if I answered with more than you asked but I thought that other readers would appreciate some context.

awesome info thanks for sharing! :)

well I had a High Deviation, but Low A1'c..what does that tell you?
Alot of hypo's -2-3x a day..and some Highs too
Finally Raised the Bar from striving for 80's to 100's and Deviation dropped Considerably to the 30 range..

It's a real Balancing act.. You want a Lower Deviation , but you also want a Lower <6% A1c as well.. And then, when you get a 250, do you be Aggressive and get it down ASAP and over correct and risk going hypo? Or do you take the usual 4-6 hrs to get it down? For every hour at or above 140 is doing damage too. Reason Most Endo's don't pay attention to Deviation? They know it's Important, but they also know it takes many Sessions and Many Phone calls to try to Get things leveled out and They and Their Staff just don't have the Time , nor does your Insurance Company approve of the Billing for it.. Might get some help getting a CDE that knows and will help you.. They cost less and your Ins. Might cover it..

I would risk having to eat some jelly beans or drink beer to get a 250 down quickly.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service