From reading people's comments on TU Diabetes over the years, there appear to be a large number of people who at one point or another made a positive shift in their diabetes control of cosmic proportions.

After over 35 years of diabetes, for me it was my cardiologist telling me out of the blue that my A1c was crap. I'd only heard about the existence of A1c a week earlier. I just started searching the Internet and also ordering books. It took me over 6 months to fully clean up my act. I gave up depending on my Doctors to fully look after me. I realized that it was my job.

I'd like to hear other people's experiences. What was the catalyst? What was the process that followed for you? Do you find it easy to stay focused?

Views: 815

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

2 near death experiences (2 diabetic seizures due to massive lows - I should be dead) and the fact that if I didn't get it together I wouldn't live to see then end of 2004.

Got it together, have run marathons in Ottawa, Melbourne Australia, competed in 4 triathlons, lost 20 pounds and changed every single thing in my life for the better.

Hey Super_Sally,

Well my best friend lost 90 pounds after watching me cross the finish line of one of my triathlons. She said "if you can do this with diabetes what's my excuse for being over weight."

She then came to do a marathon with my in Melbourne Australia. We crossed the finish line together and cried and huged! The greatest day was to see her do it.

So Sally - I set out to change my life and ended up helping her to change hers too. :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service