What main dish do you consistently cover the best? Us- A bowl of chili.

Son boluses full carbs of the chili then extends another 30% over 2 hrs. It always seem to turn out good. Today he had it as after school snack and flatlined in the 80s until dinner.

Tags: covering, food

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pizza is the tough one. The carbs(crust)....1-2 hrs. The cheese and pepperoni 3-4 hrs..and of course the sugar in the sauce and the sodium. I will never get it just right .

Us too, if he eats it out, so that's rare. I make it at home fairly often and I roll the whole wheat dough real thin and the toppings are not over the top so it's not such an enigma to cover.

Peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread with 6 ounces of Yoplait light and a couple pieces of dark chocolate, with a serving of pistachios for lunch. Bolus 75% to cover the meal and 25% over 2 hours postmeal. I'll have that 4 out of 7 days and haven't missed a 1 or 2 hour postmeal target (140 and 80) for that particular lunch in 3 weeks. Of course, I've been eating some version of that same lunch 4 out of 7 days a week for the last 25.5 years.

Most home made stuff. I'm really careful counting carbs & portions, and know there's nothing hidden in it. Usually not a lot of protein/fat.

Good topic ;)

Thanks jrtup, been thinking about some others too, but for tonight wanted to be lighthearted. Staying up til Nate comes back up and levels off before getting him in bed. Have to change sites too. Always at bedtime, I know, not the best time.

Because I homecook from fresh and whole foods (most of the time), I still use my gram scale a lot. I've been to a few Type 1 group meetings and they seemed so surprised by this, even the newly dx'd parents of T1kids. I told them that if I get the carb count right then that one less variable to content with and I'm closer to knowing what works for him.

I usually have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and often stay under 120 on CGMS.

I use frozen strawberries, blueberries, almond milk, protein powder, flax and greek yogurt. Sometimes I vary the frozen fruit or add peanut butter.

Depending an various factors (starting BG, exercise, stress, etc), I can either sip it slowly, or down it quickly. Keeping an eye on my Dex helps me decide.

Second most consistent is salads, but more variation due to the different veggies and dressings I use, and not as precise on the measurements.

We do salads and smoothies too, salads are covered pretty easily too. Our smoothies are banana, frozen berries and mango, protein powder, reg. low-fat plain yogurt, water and ice. Sometimes add a tablespoon of malitol syrup or sugar-free Torani syrup if I'm out of bananas. Ours is probably a bit sweeter, 3 of us share a blender any leftovers is frozen in popsicles, 5 grams per.

Don't get that McDonald's Smoothie......Banana/Strawberry one is almost 80 carbs! Packs quite a punch. Diet pepsi for me.

10 oz of our smoothie, 25 carbs with a good amount of protein. Steer clear of smoothies on a menus, done them at home years before he was dx'd, but have slashed the carbs a bit since then.

When I was using good old regular insulin I found that I could match pizza quite well with R's slow but steady march and long tail.

It's actually quite a bit more difficult to match humalog to pizza. It comes on too fast and runs out of steam too early. Pumps have the "square wave" and "dual wave" which together can with finagling, do what R did quite naturally!

Nothing in particular. I guess I do ok w/ my regimen during the week as I don't vary it much at all. I am so embroiled in stuff at work, I eat in like 3 bites and get back to it. I don't usually bother w/ the square or dual options. I've tried it a few times when I thought it might make sense, like longer cocktail parties or whatever and I get better results from more smaller regular boluses.

Pizza, I stick to really thin crusts. We like them better anyway and don't feel like I'm making a sacrifice and they work out ok. I love chili, it's one of my favorite things to make!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service