What´s the most empowering comment you´ve ever gotten about diabetes?

The opposite discussion - What´s the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes? - have got 196 comments as I write this. It made me think about the other comments, the ones that make us empowered.

My boyfriend once silently observed me doing my math and my diabetes things wondering what on earth had happende this time. Then he suddenly said with warmth an honest admiration in his voice "You just never give up". It had never occured to me before that I actually don´t. I never give up on me handeling my diabetes. I had never thought of this before and it made me proud of who I am.

So what´s your story?

Views: 1000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wonderful breakthrough, Kate. True words spoken sometimes have that power. Thank you for sharing.

This made me cry, MegaMinxX. Thanks.

I met with a very dear friend around christmas and we spent some time together, and as we were sitting together over a glass of wine she said that seeing me handle my diabetes, only six months after diagnosis, surprised and amazed her. The fact that I seemed so in charge of my illness and so informed already, tackling all the issues with this kind of discipline and commitment was fascinating to her and actually was inspiring her to rethink her own relationship with her body and her health.
She said she felt huge respect and admiration for people with diabetes, she asked many questions and was very curious to learn and understand more about it.
The way she looked at things as a non-diabetic person left me feeling stronger and more courageous – it made me realise how important the right perspective can be when it comes to diabetes. Of course I m sure there are harder times ahead and I won't feel this positive all the time, but I m also sure I will remember that conversation for a long time and it will help me get through those tricky phases easier.

Years ago when I was expecting my daughter and was "boarder line" for gestational diabetes I was working with a midwife. I was on a restricted diet, but no medication. And at one of my checkups and I noticed that she was wearing a medic alert necklace. When I asked her about it I said that I didn't realize she was diabetic. She responded so proudly and thanked me for the compliment.

It made me wonder why she took a statement as banal as "I didn't realize you were..." as such a compliment. Years later, after living with diabetes and becoming aware of the stigmas, I can only imagine what kind of comments she heard over the years...

I had a chance as an Advocate with the CDA to visit Victoria , BC a few years back for the ASK for insulin pumps .I was introduced by my MLA ( Member of Parliament ) during the visit to the House ,beside my name MLA said " fearless and relentless " ...there is a record of this in the Hansard , parliamentary debates. http://www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/8-5.htm ...his introduction made me smile a lot !

I ran a "live" diabetes group in town, for well over a decade. What was empowering was when I made a comment related to diabetes, the group listened! Unlike certain doctors!!

From my optometrist: "Your eyes don't have diabetes".  Not sure it's empowering, per se, but it sure made me happy :)

I've been told the same thing. It makes me proud :)

My empowering comment came from here, and with a little para-phrasing:
You are not your number.
Whether it is my A1C, or current BG, I have to remind myself every once in a while that I AM more than just that number.

My old endo was sometimes a little critical of my questions on treatment and managment and my knowledge of diabetes. It definitely rubbed me the wrong way but then he showed me that he actually respected me. He once said to a medical student (in front of me): This patient knows more than you will likely ever know about diabetes.

my son, 11 yrs old, has had T1 for almost 5 years now. several times, he's been told by his doc that he's a rock star, and that he's had the best A1c in the clinic that day. i know that really makes him feel empowered, and makes me proud of him, and of myself too!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service