Today I realized I get very scared about lows, not waking up, acting crazy at work, being needy and dependent on family members, and losing my job and family members. Maybe that's why I haven't been testing my BG's enough! I don't want to face reality.

Views: 1967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, it's a shocker, isn't it? I get scared by all the same things as you, but my biggest fear is the feeling of absolute loss of control. I can try damn hard to keep my blood sugar in line, exercise, eat the right food, etc, but I don't know if I will ever have the security of control that I had before.

I also work as a nanny, and I am always scared of messing up with the kids that I work with. I tend to let my sugar run a little higher when I am working, because I am petrified of being too low with them.

But girl, you gotta check your blood sugar! This is your reality now, it's not going anywhere!

To be honest, I don't worry about any of those things. I had a scary low when I first started insulin (due to my own lack of knowledge). I live alone and I was unconscious, but my liver kicked in and I came to and was able to treat. For awhile after that I was scared of insulin. But I learned more and knowledge is power and as I got to know how to manage my diabetes, the fear went away. I haven't had a low I couldn't handle in the 2 years since.

The only thing that scares me is not being able to get my supplies. I'm retired so it would take my county going bankrupt or a major disaster so it isn't real likely, and I don't think about it much.

I do have less responsibilities and freedom that if I'm low I just can wait to go anywhere or drive until I'm ok.

One of the good things about being in your 60s (mostly it sucks..lol) is knowing that you will be ok, because you have so many times before.

Uh, isn't your country a bit in the hole Zoe? http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Although I agree that insurance/ supply issues are my main concerns. Like now, here we are in February and I'm still waiting for the first load of test strips for the year, about 4-5 weeks after I started calling about them. WTF?

I can loan you some of my freestyle lite, if you use that type, just got my first load of the year.

Thanks Karen, I have One Touch so those won't help.

I hit E-Bay when I ran out, AR, they aren't as cheap as insurance, but waaaay cheaper than the drugstore, especially if you buy ones almost expired.

Those eBay strips may have come from the "gray market".... strips that people acquired via their insurance and never used, then sold to these resellers for pennies on the dollar. (See http://kuow.org/program.php?id=25844 ). I suppose you do what you've gotta do, but it might trouble me, personally, to know how they end up marketed at those prices.

I won't support the "gray market" at all so I will be justified when I go launch Titleists through the BCBS office windows. I can schwing out of pocket but it p***es the hell off out of me. I feel like I should send them an invoice for all the stupid phone calls. They sent me the form with which to seek reimbursement for my out of pocket crap but didn't tell me where to send it. I guess they want it wrapped around a golf ball launched through their window?

I have extra OneTouch Blue strip if you want some.

I guess I don't see that as a bad thing,("everybody's looking for something") but I can understand not wanting to support it!

Yeah, it's one thing if we run out from using more, but another if we run out because a supplier doesn't have their act together!

Oh, that is a truly grim link, AR!

I'm actually a bit more worried about my county which I call a "third world county" as they are one of the poorest in California. There are county designations from urban to rural. Mine is one step beyond rural to frontier which is pretty funny, but not so funny if they declare bankruptcy.

knowing that you will be ok, because you have so many times before.:that is my philosophy , too, Zoe. I am 3 years shy of 60, but 43 years in with the "D", so I have the experience of knowing that "This too, shall pass"

You will get to that point, too, LAB.
God Bless,
Brunetta

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service