Today I realized I get very scared about lows, not waking up, acting crazy at work, being needy and dependent on family members, and losing my job and family members. Maybe that's why I haven't been testing my BG's enough! I don't want to face reality.

Views: 1966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Kelly. I think I will try that tonight. Should I not eat dinner so I have a fasting number? I think I will order that book. Seems like everyone talks highly of it.

It's a must-have book IMO. You said elsewhere that you're new to pumping and can't get your daytime numbers in the 100s. Do you mean all day, or just when you wake up? Are you working with a CDE or pump trainer?

My daytimes are perfect. It looks like its anywhere from 3:30 am to about 5 am where my sugars go into the low 200's. I am working with a trainer and I am planning on trying a cgm for 3 days to see where DP starts. When my blood sugar goes up above 200 it wakes me up. Seems to be around 4:30 ish every day. I miss Lantus and a good nights sleep.

I would say do what you normally do for dinner, he suggests while you are basal testing, don't do any corrections til you go over 250 so you see what happens. Whether you go to bed at 100 or 130 doesn't matter so much as you see what happens to your readings over time.

Thanks for the advice Kelly.

Yeah - Like Acidrock says you have to wake up and check a bunch. Drink water or something to wake every couple hours... Then tweak the rate up a couple hours before you're seeing the rise. My basal now goes 12am - .3; 3am - .325; 6am - .350; 8am - .6.... just an example. I get mine right, then it shifts on me so I keep having to boost a little here or drop it a little there... apparently due to freaking menopause! Grrrrr - but it can be done. And once you get yours right, it'll probably stay there.

I highly recommend a CGM for this. I got one and it has helped me see the trends of what happens over night. After wearing it for just two weeks I was able to identify the time my dawn phenomenon kicked in (for me around 4:30am) and I have been able to tightly adjust my basals so i fluctuate only 20-30 pts from bedtime to fasting numbers. I use to fluctuate 70-90 pts! They are expensive, but some insurances will cover it. It took me a year of going back and forth with BCBS to get it covered, and ultimately they did. Good luck!

1) Retinopathy
2) Kidney Failure
3) Passing it on to my children (when I have them)
4) The UK is slowly moving towards a USA style of healthcare, which means disparity in quality of care based on income, increased cost and a reduction in service quality.. Profit over healthcare. ££££
5) Night time hypos, dead in bed..
6) Erectile Dysfunction! Been diabetic since 12, would still like to be able ot have a decent sex life when I am older.
7) Being old and not being able to manage my treatment anymore..
8) Having a hypo whilst on my motorbike and stacking it into on coming traffic and killing myself and injuring someone else.

I obviously try to minimise the risks, I test before during and after I take my bike out. I take ALA vit d, I test 14 times a day, I excercise and so on..

It really is a devil of a disease though, slow and steady..

I am complication free at the moment and my last HbA1c was 6.2, but I am sure diabetes will bite me in the bite in years to come, either financially or in terms of complications.

Happy Wednesday Ha.

:)

I'm terrified of the complications and having a hypoglycemic episode at night which could put me into a coma..

perhaps a bit OT but I have always classified "coma" as hyperglycemia, leading to shutdown and death (e.g. Jerry Garcia...:-() vs. hypos which are sort of different. Over the years, a lot of night hypos I had seem to have self-corrected, waking up w/ sweaty sheets @ 200+? Not "good" by any means but well, here I am?

My ringtone comes from the same album :)

What scares me the most? The fact that anything can change your sugar/insulin dependency levels. I hurt my shoulder not to long ago, and my diabetes changed from needing 20 units of novolin to about 15 with meals. In other words I crashed a few times before I adjusted. Now I know, things like scraping your knee, anxiety, lack of sleep and many other "normal things" can change you either up or down. Definitely test.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service