Today I realized I get very scared about lows, not waking up, acting crazy at work, being needy and dependent on family members, and losing my job and family members. Maybe that's why I haven't been testing my BG's enough! I don't want to face reality.

Views: 1958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My scarey thoughts about diabetes are about the same as anything else...Bottom line is I dont want to ever be in a position where I dont have control of my body...It really doesnt matter if I get into a bad accident or diabetic complication, its all the same to me...So I dont focus on what could happen with my diabetes because I could live my whole life complication free and something other could randomly wrong. I just do my absolute best to control my BG and enjoy today...thats all I can do

What a great discussion. It is comforting to know that the fear of being low and out of control is something a lot of us T1's feel, makes me feel not alone. I am going through a preconception program right now for pregnancy, and the hardest part of the whole thing is accepting lows. It is something that happens and is a reality of pregnancy, but I am having such a hard time letting myself get there. It is a process and I am slowly getting towards more acceptance, but it is frightening. I have actually been seeing a therapist and doing some cognitive behavioral therapy to help. I am a big advocate for any one with diabetes seeing a therapist on a weekly basis-- we have so much on our plates and so much worry, the extra support really helps. Best of luck to everyone here!

wow, its funny how often my sugar drops a few hours before im awake and i usually have to wake up because it gets harder to breathe? funny thing is that, most of my dreams drift into me finding food to eat right before i actually have to.
Also is being occasionally needy and dependent really because of diabetes, because if it is then i can finally blame something else. hah! :)

There was an actress in the 60s? named (I think) Toti Fields. She was T2 and lost her legs. Scares to S**T out of me. (I think I imprinted at a young age :>) with this fear)

But it is now 2012, and two of my coworkers have grandparents a little older than I, with T2 who have lost limbs. I think denial is an ultimate disaster.

PLEASE test and control; it is the only way to succeed.

I am old enough to remember Totie Fields. She had severe heart disease and blood clot problems, and she died of a pulmonary embolism. Heart and blood vessel disease are a very common cause of death among all diabetics.

And yes, amputation is a great fear. What saddens me is that your friends' grandparents have lost limbs because of T2. T2 IS a treatable disease, and just as disabling and deadly as T1, but so many people deny that fact. When they say T1 is the BAD diabetes, they don't know what they're talking about, because ALL diabetes is bad. One of my friends with T2, maybe a little younger than me, recently lost a leg to diabetes, and it makes me want to cry because it shouldn't have to happen.

It may be partly denial (oh, I only have mild diabetes) but it's also partly because the insurance companies don't want to cover diabetes education, which is just as essential for T2's as it is for T1's. My own insurance company granted me a lifetime education benefit of TA-DA! fifty dollars. WTF????? All I can say is, it's a good thing that I am an independent learner, and found diabetes sites on the internet, and asked a LOT of questions, and read a lot of books and articles (some of which were garbage). But most people don't have the ability or determination to do that -- they just depend on their doctors, and what the insurance company will cover. T2 is one of the most poorly treated diseases in the world, because controlling ANY kind of diabetes is really thought and knowledge intensive. And requires MUCH support and education.

So I definitely agree with you -- testing and controlling is the only way to succeed for ALL of us! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?fbid=10150877303473066&set=o.145981605445953&type=1&theater

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service