What scenario do you fear the most because of your type 1 diabetes

I was recently watching that show lockup , only because there was nothing else on tv. This is a reality show that documents real life criminals behind bars. Believe me I'm not interested in becoming a criminal ! However I couldn't help and wonder what happens to someone who is not only a type 1 diabetic but is also on a sensor and a pump . Common sense tells me that they wouldn't let that person die , because I have never read a news report about an incident like that ,but I wouldn't be surprised if there were many type 1 diabetics out there that came close to death while in jail . Here's probably what I can imagine is a common scenario when a type 1 gets arrested ..... I believe that the officer would force the person to take there pump off and sensor and as they are demanding this there telling the person to shut the beep up because the person is trying to explain that if they take off their pump they have no longacting insulin in their body nor do they even have 1 needle along with some lantus . Now the officer ( if he doesn't know someone personally with type 1 ) is gonna scream at this person and then tell them something stupid like " nobody ever died from missing one nights worth of their medicine .I get all anxiety ridden just thinking about how this persons night would be and just imagine that they got arrested right after correcting a high blood sugar because I know with me personally 9outa 10 times I always end up going low at least 2 hours later . Another scenario , imagine a diabetic gets arrested on a day that they were suffering from insulin resistance and were having one of those days when there running 250 all day no matter how much insulin they keep taking to get it down . These are my worst fears as a type one I'm not worried about this ever happening to me but I have heard of those people out there who get wrongfully accused 
I really think that there should be a law that a type 1 who has a pump should be aloud to keep it on at least until they meet with the staff doctor about what kind of method they will be required to switch to . There is not enough knowledge out there about diabetes people who don't have this think that all you have to do is stay away from sugar and them you'll be ok 

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was in the hospital 2 years ago for Asma type symptoms and they gave me steroids to help with my difficulty with breathing , in the emergency room they were very good with my type 1 diabetes . It was a different story after I got admitted , because when I woke up the next morning my bl was in the high 300s and I was also starving cause I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before . So I tool a bolouss with correction and I still managed to stay at 300 all day and when lunch arrived I was around 340 and when I told the nurse that laying in this bed all day with a 350 bl is only gonna make it worse since I'm not moving much and she just looked at me and said you are eating to much and I told her I'm only eating the diabetic foods from the meal plan that they have me on ( very bland food , horrible ) As a nurse she didn't know that the steroids were making me high , I was even told from the doc that they even make non - diabetics sugar rise above normal 

At least in the US, a pump/ CGM is generally paid for by employer benefits which would generally cease if you were arrested as your employer would likely fire you? There'd be COBRA but it would be impossible to arrange supplies without a phone/ mail so you'd likely be left with whatever state-funded treatment would be made available to someone in that situation.

My dad was in the hospital a few years ago and his sugars were consistently between 350 and 400 while he was there. All they are trained to do is keep you out of hypoglycemia because it could end in fatality. When I was in the hospital a few weeks back the doctor told me most diabetics come in with 250 to 300 sugars and they see no reason to be concerned.

I've heard similar things, which really frightens me. With a T2, there is natural insulin production, so while running a BG that high can cause damage, the person is generally not going to slip into DKA. However, with T1s, a BG of 300 can quickly become a BG of 600+ and result in DKA. My endo, who is a bit more knowledgeable of T1 compared to most other adult endos I've seen, told me once that this is a not insignificant problem in the hospital setting. She has always emphasized to me that should I end up in the hospital, she needs to be contacted because of this very issue. Serious quality of care issue as far as I'm concerned, because it amounts to a medical establishment not understanding the basic condition which they might be treating!!!

I think the reason hospitals are hyper about hypos is because a hypo would obligate them to "HURRY!" which is one thing hospitals, except maybe the ER, are extremely poor at? If you "need" juice, the nurse who stumbles upon you twitching on the floor, has to take emergency measures, the doc has to evalute you, then he has to write an order for some dude in the cafeteria to get you some juice, then the juice arrives and, since that will probably take 45 minutes, they don't bother waiting and crank your BG up to 400 w/ IV dextrose and glucagon.

This is so true , about a year ago I was considering becoming a nurse but then I changed my mind cause I would probably get fired . I would be to sensitive to all diabetics needs that when they would have a low I would probably hand them some of my glucose gels and tablets . It seems like the hospital staffs are still trained to care for a diabetic the same way they did before we even had blood sugar monitors . It's so outdated I think that they should have a wing in all hospitals thAt would only be for diabetics 

Marie, now there's a thought. I would love a wing for diabetics, although it would kind of depend on your reason for being admitted in the first place. When I had a knee replacement, my doctor gave orders for me to take care of myself on my pump, and I did. The nurses were interested in what I was doing, but I did it myself. But there was no substitute for being in the knee replacement wing, where we all learned to walk again.

You have a good point there , but even if there was a diabetic with a knee injury staying in the diabetic wing they would still be aloud to leave and go to the floor where they do rehabilitation 

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service