What kind of care should people expect after being diagnosed at a clinic, urgent care or emergency room?

During the diabetic screening, I heard several stories where people had gone to one a medical facility were told they could be Pre-diabetic or diabetic. They were "patched up" given a prescription and left without any long term care plans. Of course I think this is horrible and grossing under serving the community. I counseled the these people and told they need be under the care of an Endocrinologist to get a proper diagnosis.

This just made me think shouldn't the public expect more from our medical facilities? If they were given an HIV/AID dx'd would they have offered all kinds of counseling and resources? I can under stand their position but I also think they can deliver information about community resources for diabetics. I would have loved to have the information about the several diabetic clinics they have here in Los Angeles. I eventually dumped my internist for a Diabetic Clinic that gave me better care.

Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Views: 913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Price fixing. Exactly. Ball-point pens come in a wide range of prices depending on maker, model, materials, etc. Ditto frying pans, tires and ear plugs.

Why should test strips all cost exactly the same?

Very hinky.

Very! Never seen anything as consistently priced brand to brand. Senate investigation sorely needed.

Thanks Gerri.

Alan- I'm a LADA T1 and started on insulin just over a year ago. My husband, who has T2 in his family, has an A1c at 6.5, but his Harvard trained internist is just watching him. He did not diagnosis him! He takes no D meds and counts no carbs. He does eat what I cook, so that is a help. But I do not understand why the MD would not diagnose a 6.5 with a strong family history.

Thank God we can restrict carbs without government approval, or the complication rate for T2's especially would double.

I know several people with metabolic syndrome who are going it alone on low or low-moderate carbs plus ramped up exercise because their doctors are too arrogant/ignorant to offer them metformin or any other assistance until they progress across the magic invisible line of "two fasting readings of 126 or above". My own doctor watched my fasting go from 89 to 105 to 110 without every checking my post-prandials. I had blurry vision the entire time. Grrrrrr....

Your wife is blessed to have you.

Its bad for those who are given that diagnosis but it also is bad for those without insurance. I went without insurance for 5 years and struggled to pay for my appointments out of pocket. Luckily there were prescription assistance programs. It wasn't until October 2010 that I was able to get back on insurance (my husband's) and recently have been able to see an awesome endocrinologist after my primary care doctor told me who was the best to see. He also recommended a Diabetic Educator that is awesome as well. I've heard horror stories, one example is my half brother is pre-diabetic. They aren't doing a very good job with him because he's having issues with high blood sugars that are throughout the night to the morning but then will drop down to normal. The only way he can see an endocrinologist or internist is with a referral and his doctor refuses to give him one.

I am so GLAD that you have posted your concerns, Christalyn. So proud of your efforts.. YOU GO, GIRL!!! Thanks so much to the others who have chimed in with support and anecdotes...
Diabetes education in this country, and in many others, generally, please excuse me...SUCKS!!!.. The horror stories you have all described are the norm, not the exception.
The majority of us on the D.O.C, are committed to self-care, have the background knowledge to challenge misguided medical guidance, and question dubious treatment paradigms..The majority of the diabetic population.. and their medical teams DO NOT KNOW THAT THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW what even begins to be best practice protocols for diabetics on insulin or not.

I think that most medical practicioners follow the outdated treatment protocols they were taught based on the following myths: 1)Diabetes is a disease,regardless of what you do,that will eventually shorten your lifespan and diminish your quality of life greatly.
2)A healthier lower carb diet is both impossible and unecessary for diabetic patients to follow,
3) Too much information in the hands of those poor peple is too much for them , let the doctors do as little as possible, giving them meager care. a (Insurance and goverments say "Look how much it would cost to properly re-educate the medical teams treating diabetics and to educate the patients themselves";
4)Just "Keep them happy, unknowing, and sick..because.. 5)..They are going to rot away anyway."

I resent these unspoken assumptions and want us, as caring, concerned and comitted PWD, to do something about it. I like,Christalyn and all of you.. have seen so many people who are not getting the best care and are suffering as a
result. Even if they do not know it.

God Bless,
Brunetta

+1 Well said Brunetta!

Thanks Brunetta. We have to be able to say exactly what you just said. We are all tired of the lies!!!

+3 well said Brunetta! The moderate if challenging goals sey by doctors who are supposed to be "in charge" can have serious consequences. My experience has been that I'm on my own. The doc is pleased my results are "great" but they are not transferrable or put into practice by any doctor I've run into.

Oh, acidrock23, you're not on your own. You've got all of us in the DOC walking the walk with you every step of the way.

Well...on second thought...I'll just rest here on this bench and save a place for y'all after your run, m'kay? :0)

But I'm with y'all in spirit, even if I can't keep up.

Score one for you Alan! Nothing like a slap in the face with a cold fish to make them think! ... or not.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service