Hi, everyone, I´m new to this site, thankyou all for your welcome and sorry it´s taken so long to reply. I´m Loobyloo, english and living in Portugal since 2005. I was diagnosed as being diabetic in 2008 but since reading and researching all I can, the whole thing is still a big mystery to me. I don´t seem to ´fit the profile ´and was wondering if anyone can help. It all started on a wednesday, I was feeling a bit ´iffy´ that night and went to bed early and started to be sick. Everything got worse and by thursday night I was in intensive care and stayed there 4 days although I don´t remember anything much. Total stay in hospital - 18 days due to fever and infection. I was put on 1 injection of Lantus and 6 injections of Humalog a day. I was told to see the family doc asap and he told me I was type 2 as I was then 43 years old. After some research I wasn´t convinced so at my first analysis I asked the consultant and she said I was LADA - Yikes ! what´s that ? Where I come from, Lada is a model of car ! Anyway, my family doc who didn´t speak english had put me on aspirin and cholesterol tablets and told me I would need these for the rest of my life - omg ! I decided to change docs, and managed to find one who spoke english, and when bringing her up to speed on all that had happened to me, I was talking about LADA, and she asked how I knew what type I was. I told her I had asked the consultant and she said YOU DON´T NEED TO KNOW WHAT TYPE YOU ARE - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THAT YOU HAVE DIABETES AND WE ARE CONTROLLING IT -uuuummm- excuse me ? are you for real ? I thought it would be helpful to know whats wrong with me seeing as it´s my body and I have to deal with it day in and day out and you only see me once every 3 months ! Anyway ( sorry to go on so long ) my point is, after reading up about LADA, how it is slow onset type 1 and how everyone is thin with LADA, I am left wondering as it was certainly not slow for me and although I am not huge, I´m not thin by any standards - anyone have any suggestions ?

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Anthony, I will certainly do that.
Loobyloo xx

Hi, AnnBemrose, thanks for your reply, I´m glad you said managing instead of controlling because I think thats what we do.The docs say they control it but they don´t - we manage it ourselves. My BG is fairly stable most of the time and I have analysis 4 times a year and don´t take anything other than insulin.My cholesterol is 160 ish and blood test results are good for everything else, so I suppose I am managing quite well. Thanks also for the link, I have so much to get through from everyones help and advice, that it may take a while !

You don't have to be thin to have LADA. It is mostly distinguishable by having GAD65 antibodies.
This is a handy little chart.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service