My almost 4 year old son has suddenly become this really cranky kid. Being that he was always such a good kid I tested his blood sugar tonight while he was asleep to make sure there was nothing going on. Me being the paraonoid mom who has been a diabetic since age 7. He was 142. That number worries me, its a little high. 3 months ago he was urinating a lot and I also tested his blood and it was also 140 and I brought him to his pediatrician and they checked his urine and it was negative for sugar. Should I be worried? Why does he run this high? He does like his snacks but tonight his last meal was 3 hours prior to testing, however he had a handful or raisinets an hour prior to testing, would those have affected a nondiabetic like that? Am I being paronoid? Does anyone know if 140 is ok for him?

Links added by the TuDiabetes Administration:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/normal-blood-sugar-in-a-child

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/583967:Topic:124195

General Information on Diabetes can be found here:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/index/show?noteKey=New_to_Diabetes%3F

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Type_1_Diabetes

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Type_2_Diabetes

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/parentsofkidswithtype1

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Other_Types_of_Diabetes

Tags: bg, blood, diabetes, diagnosis, normal, sugar

Views: 14818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My understanding is that it is not uncommon for young children to run higher than would be considered healthy for adults. If its something that is causing you concern, I'd reccomend discussing it with your doctor.

I'd have his peditrician run an A1c & an OGTT, or get a home A1c Now test. Children tend to have lower BG than adults. 142 overnight is high, sadly. Non-diabetics come back into range quickly from an occasional spike from a carb laden meal. They remain within a narrow BG range. Hope all will be well. Hate to see another, especially a little one, join our ranks.

Just wanted to chime in on the "diabetics should not reproduce" nonsense. Children are a fullfilling part of any parents life and as previously said, the choice is a personal one. And that has nothing to do with being diabetic or not. The truth is we roll the dice every time. One child may end up T1, while others are being diagnosed with Down Syndrome, autism, even cancer. Ask any of these parents if they 'regret' having these kids. Pretty sure I know the answer. And these children live fufilling lives. Do they endure hardships? Ya, sure. Do kids that are not T1 have hardships? Everone has their own story. Diabetes is merely a chapter in my daughter's book. Should I start telling my 3yr old that she should never dream to have her own kids b/c of diabetes? Would I tell her she couldn't aspire to do whatever she desires in life. Hell no! Honestly, what a ridiculous notion.

I never said diabetics should not reproduce if they desire to however I consider diabetes a life of suffering and would be devastated if I had a kid gave and it to him/her. I would bet at least some of the parents here would still have had a kid even if the doctor told them "your child will definitely get diabetes" (if there was a specific test for that) and to me that's kind of selfish. I understand many diabetics that have kids are probably not thinking "what if my kid gets this"? Obviously anyone can develop any condition regardless of family history but when you have something like diabetes I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't be far more concerned about passing it on. Besides all that raising kids can be extremely stressful in general without diabetes. I couldn't handle it, no way jose. I can barely take care of myself.To be honest I can't even see myself being in a relationship with anyone let alone kids. In general I am in a disturbed state of well being.

Bingo. Every time you conceive, you are rolling a pair of dice. There are so many genetic and congenital conditions that are FAR worse than T1D. People are carriers for things all the time and have no idea that they are until they go to have a kid. I am thankful that ALL I have is diabetes. I can deal with diabetes. It has rarely limited me and I have done and accomplished so much not in spite of diabetes, but probably BECAUSE of it.

Dear Priscilla,
There is also the possibility that your glucose meter is inaccurate. A non-diabetic friend of mine concerned about her BGs tested at 120 using her own meter, then immediately had a lab test with a result of 75.

Nonetheless, if your son is in the incipient stages of T1D, there is much that can be done to rescue the beta cell function he obviously still has. Although some may reject it, I would highly recommend Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He offers highly scientific ways (and practicable for us) for Type 1s to rescue their beta cell function, avoiding the risks, costs and worries of full-blown diabetes.
Although I do not adhere to it strictly, I have found the general advice tremendously helpful in keeping my blood sugars more or less even. (sometimes I jump off the wagon and then I see the yo-yo effect almost immediately)

Do not try to diagnose T1 with blood glucose testing. Just take this number of 142 and talk to your GP. I would recommend to make an A1c lab test with your child - maybe tryglycerides at well. This way it can be determined if the blood glucose was evelated for a longer period of time.

Hi Priscilla,

I hope your Drs can help you by getting you the tests and answers you are hoping for. This is a big concern for me so I can imagine what you are feeling.

Here is another avenue that you may want to consider if Junior's Doctors do not have much advice. TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: http://www.diabetestrialnet.org/. Read over the link and consider it. If Junior tests positive for antibodies then the researchers may discuss research ideas to help preserve Junior's functioning Beta cells.

Priscilla, you can always enroll your child in trial net. www.diabetestrialnet.org He qualifies since he has a parent with type 1 diabetes. They will screen him for all the antibodies, do an A1C, and they will give him some type of glucose tolerance testing with the antibody testing every 6 months until he becomes an adult (or longer if positive for antibodies). The GTT varies from hosp to hosp. We are moving and they did let us know that it may be a different test at our new local hospital but will give them the same results. My dtr Sophia was dx at 4 1/2 in Sept of '10 and my husband, son (who is now 4), and myself participated in the study. My husband positive for 3 antibodies and son positive for 1. They test every 6 months and so far, so good but at least we know where they stand. Just a thought. It's free and my son even gets a $50 check every 6 months for doing it which he splits with his sister :)

JDRF shows that there is a casual, yet statistically signifigant link between T1D and family http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=103442#hereditary.

1 out of 400 to 500 "Normal" individuals is a 0.2% to 0.25% chance in the general population. A T1 Diabetic has a 15% (3 out of 20) chance of their offspring developing T1D. While the specific genetics of T1Diabetes is not completely known, I think it is reasonable to consider that there is a genetic link.

Hi guys, thank you to all of you who have been supportive, I took my son to the pediatrician this am since last night he had a reading of 180. This morning his fasting was 82 and his urnine was negative for sugar and ketones which I was happy about. They did an a1.c and fasting glucose and regular blood work. They said if his a1.c is anything over 6 they will look into it more and if not we will just keep an eye on it. I guess right now we have to rely on the a1.c results but those few high numbers still sit in the back of my mind and has to make me wonder is it just that the Diabetes is brewing and will eventually pop up? He was such a trooper today and I am so proud of my little guy, he let them take his blood and as long as he got his dinosaur band aid he was happy;)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service