Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This happened to me in class the other day. It was so funny how my teacher reacted to my super low bg (39) but then annoyed me when she acted like me eating fifteen carbs wasn't enough. Talk about humiliating, I was like who has had diabetes for nine years and I pretty sure you going crazy isn't helping. Plus I didn't feel so good either at the time.

The teacher was probably just panicking and trying to help. Unless you have taught HER what to do and how much, then she is not likely to know. But try teaching her BEFORE another episode, when you are compus mentus and can remain calm!

The most memorable judgment I've ever heard was right after I was diagnosed in 5th grade (10 year olds are so mean). One of my classmates turned to me and said "You got diabetes because you ate too much pie." When I told her that wasn't true, she said, "I know because my grandma has diabetes and that's how she got it." Then she walked away.

I've encountered so many situations like this that I'm numb to it but I will never forget that one because it was the first one.

im 16, and sometimes people joke about how im 'taking drugs' when i do my daily injections, its like seriously, grow up! and when people automatically assume you can't eat chocolate and silly things.

The latest one I got yesterday was "your overweight, how could you have a low blood sugar"? Grrrrr &(*&(*T&^%R&^$%

-Yogi

Tuesday night, I was out with friends after class, and I ordered a slice of pie (yes, I know). When it got there and I was drawing my insulin, one of the girls was like "Teowyn, should you eat that?" I just looked at her straight in the eye and said: "Don't worry, I'm not planning to eat the crust." sigh. My guesstimate of the pie (it was a creamy thing with coconut on the top) must have been accurate because I didn't go high later.

Then about an hour later (when everyone who had been drinking were on their second or third glass) someone offered me some wine, and when I said I didn't drink, they said "But you eat pie." sigh again.

Of course, this comes after the day before when I was in class, explaining why I think diabetes doesn't make good story (there's no arc unless we're dealing with a crisis, just part of life) and someone else piped up "But what about the Babysitter's Club" (which I don't remember reading by the way) where apparently, one of the girls has type 1 which makes her really skinny and wet the bed all the time. I was stunned into silence (although thinking back, that kind of proves my point, the books had a character with diabetes, but the books couldn't be about her struggle--they were about babysitting, with diabetes as a background part of the character) that this is the thing they associate with the disease.

Teowyn....you will NEVER make non diabetics understand fully! It's the way it is. People (no matter how close they are to you) will not fully understand 'till they have to deal with it THEMSELVES. That with ANY chronic condition.
Bet you felt like pushing the pie in her face though ;P

Amen, I am seriously finding that out the hard way. However, in truth, sometimes the same things goes for diabetics too. There just doesn't seem to be an urgent need to read, unless you are forced to by some circumstance.

-Yogi

re. pushing the pie in her face:
Nah, I'd already taken my insulin. On the other hand, I felt like pointing and making rude comments when she got her second beer.

No long term story arc, but some short term ones. Comedy could be done on after seeing someone inject and assuming they are an addict (happens enough in real life). OK besides the above sitcom style arc the rest I can think of would surround background or character development.

I'm sometimes nervous after injecting in public, especially if there's a cop around, but no one's ever given me grief about it yet (touch wood). I've heard the stories though--but a series of vignettes on the funniest things that ever happened because of diabetes would be fun, but wouldn't make a good novel.

Had a friend who is a local LEO send his new partner over to harass me when I was shooting up at a diner that was a cop hang out. I looked at him needle still in my arm and asked him if he thought a junkie would shoot up with a table of cops 20ft away. Then pointed at the vial of insulin on the table and said real slow "Insulin", then pointed at myself and again real slow said Insulin"Diabetes". Then proceeded to tell him my friend should buy him a donut for making him look foolish.
I also had a bar tender flip out one time and call the police on me for shooting up in a bar one time. Another LEO I knew showed up and proceeded to chew out the bartender for wasting his time.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service