Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My god fathers wife (Who I am not the biggest fan of for multiple reasons) Would always encourage me to take her 'poop' powder and try her products because "I have diabetic clients and I have cured them!" I remember wanting to scream at the top of my lungs that they were type 2 you moron!!!!!

The worst one is"Ohhhhhh im so soooorrryyyy, i hope you get better soon"dear god he makes me feel like its a flu or a virus.

Or those that come on as is you were going to drop dead in the next moment!!
("OMG....I'm SO SORRY!!!")

Here’s a conversation I had recently with a clueless supervisor:

CS: I wonder which would be harder: being lactose intolerant or diabetic...
Me: I think I might be extremely offended by that comment.
CS: Well, I just think it would be really hard to not eat anything with cheese, especially pizza.

I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and politely explain to her the seriousness of diabetes and the time/effort that goes into managing it.

Her response: Wait, which is the one where you can’t eat ANY sugar?
Me: NONE OF THEM.

Oh Courtney...WHAT A JERK!!!! Yes...totally CLUELESS!

Let's just say that I am patient as I explain it to them the first time and my patience depletes rapidly upon having to be firm and explain it a second time. My swear jar overfloweth.

OMG Andy I love 'My swear jar overfloweth' LOL With your permission I may just steal it ;)

You know what would be great? If DOCTORS knew what diabetes is and how it is to be treated. I've run across many DOCTORS who do not. Instead of running across them, I feel like driving across them...ARGGGGHHH!!! It would also be cool if nutritionists weren't in Big Food's back pocket as well. Eat processed foods at your peril.

I remember once showing the doc a graph of my bg (hand drawn...in the days before computer generated ones)...depicting a concern. The doc says..."OH...good idea", all I have is a BA...you'd think someone with a doctorate would have thought of that!!

Interestingly enough, I used to draw graphs, too. With normal range highlighted in yellow. But my doc was never interested in them, so I stopped. And now, I have the CGM to draw graphs, so I don't think I'll do it again! :-)

Yes...had tried to show him in written form (sans graph)...and I'm sure he thought I was but a bored house wife...yet give him something that covered by far more paper surface...and he was impressed!

It must have been the pictures. He obviously doesn't understand numbers. I'd run away from that bozo.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service