Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 19008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"You really don't strike me as the diabetic type... not a fatty or anything" Although it's hard to be annoyed when I was that ignorant myself just a few weeks ago

When you test your sugarlevel and people ask it is insuline that you inject in your finger..
Or when I tell people I have diabetes and they ask me if I was once really fat so that it is my own fault...(i've always be slim) grrrrrrr!!!! But you know, you can't blame people about it..you can't expect them to have knowledge about diabetes...but it is very annoying.

The most annoying comment I've ever gotten came from a friend, actually. We were planning for a time to get together over the weekend during my fifteen minute break at work and she made a comment about not wanting me on my feet too long.

"Why?"

"Well, you know, the feet are always the first things to go for diabetics."

And then she walked out the door and I had to fume in silence because I had to go back to work.

I got asked: "How come you haven't had the stem cell shots that would cure your diabetes?"...My reply: "I'm not interested in a cure. I'm gullible and believe the evil doctors and I'd rather die a gruesome death after having my limbs amputated and being on dialysis for years first, you effing moron. What's wrong with your brain mom?"

I hate when if someone happens to see candy in my purse and they don't mind their own business and they say ... What are you doing with all that candy in your purse you're a diabetic! Thank god I'm not near them when I'm having a low sugar! But they do make you feel horribly guilty cause even after you try to explain it to them they don't get it!
"my mom died from insulin shock"

I hate when people will preach to you without havin any idea what insulin even does or knowing that sometimes you need sugar and sometimes you need insulin. It seems they are always the ones who are the first to have a voice on what I should be eating or not be eating

three weeks after i was diagn0sed, i went t0 my ma´s f0r christmas dinner, ready t0 sh00t up with my back t0 the table bef0re the meal. my m0ther says, d0nt d0 that here in fr0nt 0f every0ne, y0u might gr0ss s0me0ne 0ut. thanks ma. and shes a nurse.

You know what they say:...Nurses be crazy...lol

My god fathers wife (Who I am not the biggest fan of for multiple reasons) Would always encourage me to take her 'poop' powder and try her products because "I have diabetic clients and I have cured them!" I remember wanting to scream at the top of my lungs that they were type 2 you moron!!!!!

The worst one is"Ohhhhhh im so soooorrryyyy, i hope you get better soon"dear god he makes me feel like its a flu or a virus.

Or those that come on as is you were going to drop dead in the next moment!!
("OMG....I'm SO SORRY!!!")

Here’s a conversation I had recently with a clueless supervisor:

CS: I wonder which would be harder: being lactose intolerant or diabetic...
Me: I think I might be extremely offended by that comment.
CS: Well, I just think it would be really hard to not eat anything with cheese, especially pizza.

I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and politely explain to her the seriousness of diabetes and the time/effort that goes into managing it.

Her response: Wait, which is the one where you can’t eat ANY sugar?
Me: NONE OF THEM.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service