Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think everyone should be above that as it doesn't help. There are innumerable case studies of people self-reporting these issues who do what they need to do, according to medical science, but still face challenges with weight and blood sugar control.

I so agree with you Acidrock23. Not only that, leading diabetes research organizations that breath diabetes 24/7, such as The ADA, Joslin, JDRF, can and have done studies and come up with slightly different statistics, results, and even recommendations (depending on how the studies were done). There are sooo many variables it's not funny. In addition, we have to be so careful, because the wording of many of these so called "statistics" from sites other than an accredited organization that not only specialize, but dedicates themselves full-time to diabetes research; because many of them make it sound like diabetics are like gingerbread people; as though we are equally the same, and we are NOT. No type 2 person is the same, and neither are their circumstances. No type 1 is the same; no LADA, MODY, Gestational etc, etc. Each diabetic is as unique as a snowflake. Even amongst each other, we don't always give ourselves the benefit of the doubt.

Also, a link to something, doesn't necessarily denote cause.

-Yogi

Well many of those sites also use words like "preventable" and such, but your right, what I do know. Society has it wrong so you say!

No were in my message did I blatantly say society is wrong and I am correct,please don't get it twisted. I'm just saying, information is only as good as the day it is given. And there is a stronger likelihood that the latest diabetic findings would more likely come from the organizations mentioned. In addition, don't forget, there is that element of indirect "economic/financial motivation".

-Yogi

And the economic/financial motivation in telling people to take responsibility for their own health is??? We can all lose weight and eat healthier if we so choose! So odd how you make all these excuses, as though the evidence I presented you is somehow wrong or misguided, but it is the exact same information I have heard for years and years!!

Face it! The majority, and I mean vast majority, of those with t2 can improve their condition, even to the point of never needing any pharmaceutical or insulin, with diet and exercise! It is a choice to live with that version of diabetes!

Stop being such a drama queen and grow up. You are taking my comments waaay out of context. There is also the assumption that everyone who is fat, wants to be fat, which is absolutely false. Second, it is not always choice. So convenient we ignore genetics. Yes we can all do better to eat healthier, but even within that their are challenges, in terms of affordability. At times I feel like i'm punished for being overweight. The bad part is, I don't think I'm even that big, yet I pay way more money for cloths, and high quality food.

-Yogi

What %age of people with T2 don't need medication and control it w/ diet and exercise? I've met people here who've succeeded at that but I've also met people who describe what they eat (very little...) and exercise, sometimes 3x/ day (post-prandial...) and still struggle with weight. Like Brian said earlier, the obesity is a symptom of T2, not a "cause" of it. The cause is the genetic defect or defects that cause the problems processing food which can include weight gain and hyperglycemia and other challenges associated with our "club". I agree that exercise and diet are beneficial for everyone but I don't agree that T2 are causing their condition.

I think that another problem with the medical industry that sort of feeds the desire to avoid medication and aggressive maneuvering to help treat diabetes, particularly the T2 "flavor" is their tendency to move slowly towards evaluating the nascent stages of T2, "tolerating" the higher or even above the higher edge of "normal" BG without taking steps to attack the highly dangerous condition which could be confirmed through more aggressive labwork. "Gosh, your BG's a little high at 120, it might lead to prediabetes [ya think?]" conversations are reported here and I've known people in the same boat, folks at work when they do health screenings, etc. This slow approach leaves these conditions un and undertreated for too long.

Well said ar, thanks. We, and especially, the media, often seem to ignore the difference between 'cause' (or trigger) and 'symptom'. T2 is not curable; as you said there's a genetic component. Some people can become asymptomatic, but that doesn't mean they no longer have D.

Blame is useless, and no, not everyone can lose weight, 'cure' their D, or 'do better'.

So many great excuses for your conditions here!! We are not, as humans, designed to be so overweight as we are in this country. Hence the myriad of health issues that go along with being that large! Your assertions that there is nothing people can do about it is a load of crap!! If people went to as much a raw food diet as possible, preferably all raw, drank more water, avoided processed foods and sodas, and moved around a little more, you cannot help but shed pounds and do wonders for your health. Most clearly don't have the ability to make the hard choices to better their health. So much easier to whine about how you cannot heal!!! Well the body is also designed to heal, but you got to treat it right!!

well said ar

Dean, no one is saying that being overweight is good. No one is saying that many people don't eat well, don't take care of themselves, don't want to lose weight.

What we ARE saying is that T2 ISN'T curable. What we ARE saying is that there are people who aren't able to lose weight despite their tremendous efforts. What we ARE saying is that not everyone with T2 is overweight, doesn't eat well, doesn't exercise. Blame is a useless exercise - how about a little compassion?

i highly doubt that the majority of t2s could cure themselves with diet and exercise.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service