Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 18766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Zoe, This is another thing that burns me up. There are quite a few people who have LADA that are thick/big boned. Don't forget our beloved Manny is a thick guy and he has LADA. Hello? Second, according to the ADA, there is some insulin resistance with LADA. Third, I have interviewed a type 1 that later on developed some insulin resistance as he got older. I really do hate these labels, I really, really do.

-Yogi

First of all, my name is Zoe, there is no "@" in my name. (thanks). I've met with Manny, DR, and didn't see him as being overweight. I'm sorry I don't really know what "thick" means. I disagree that "there is some insulin resistance with LADA". LADA is, basically, Type 1, the only difference is in the rate of onset. And most Type 1's do not initially have Insulin Resistance. They can, of course, develop it over time, especially if they gain weight as they get older. I agree, Yogi, that labels always have exceptions, but there are things that are generally true.

If you ever tweeted before (which i'm guessing not), the @ sign means "a response that is directed to said person". I guess you didn't look at Manny close enough, because Manny noticeably had/has weight when I met him. And I got a very close look! To me, this proves how selective people are in terms of what they WANT to see. Second, LADA and Type 1 are not quite the same. The only thing that is similar about them is that eventually our pancreases will stop working; but you cannot compare these two types of diabetes based on that alone!! Oy vey. I have a headache.

I don't have any interest in social media, though I know what it means. I met Manny a couple years ago and didn't really look all that closely, just had an impression of an average size man.

Please do your homework, DR, because you obviously don't know much about LADA. LADA is a slow onset form of Type 1. It is Type 1.Since LADA is not an ICD diagnosis, our official dx will read "type 1". The only difference is that the onset is more gradual and it occurs later in life, so LADA's can go for awhile (a few months to a few years) before needing insulin. Once they reach that point their Diabetes is identical to other Type 1's. The name, "Latent (slow/delayed) autoimmune (Type 1) diabetes in adults" says it all. I suggest you read Using Insulin by John Walsh, or Melitta's blogs on TuD as she is very well read and very clearly explains LADA as a slow onset form of Type 1.

Zoe, when an adult or child becomes insulin resistant, they are categorized as type 2, right? So why the hell should a type 1 have two category if theirs theirs no real difference, hmmmmmm? Does that make any since? and by the way Linda already answered your question in her previous message. I'm done. I didn't mean for this to turn in to a back and forth battle of who knows the Bible more.

Zoe, when an adult or child becomes insulin resistant, they are categorized as type 2, right? So why the hell should a type 1 have two categories if there is no real difference, hmmmmmm? Does that make any since? and by the way Linda already answered your question in her previous message. I'm done. I didn't mean for this to turn in to a back and forth battle of who knows the Bible more.

Type 1 is an autoimmune condition, where Type 2 is a condition characterized by IR. There is a difference in LADA. It is a form of Type 1 (an autoimmune condition) that comes on more slowly and occurs later in life.

The bible? You'll win on that one...and twitter. Don't know much about either one!

I think that all of these conditions are caused by genetic anomalies and try to avoid too much discussion of the obesity issue since the egg comes before the chicken here.

I have had testing Zoe, and AM a thin Type 2...was fit upon dx, ate reasonably well (balance meal, never to excess etc). My diabetes was NOT caused by being overweight, or by being inactive, or by eating improperly. However, though I was wired for diabetes (and a couple of other things)...there likely was a trigger/switch that got the thing in motion. For myself, I think extreme stress was a factor. I DID NOT CAUSE THIS!
The fact remains that it is genetic on both sides of my family. As well, my dad and his mother were both thin insulin dependent Type 2 diabetics.
I have to say, Dean, that diabetes can never "go away". You can have Type 2, and be so excellently controlled that your bg falls in the normal range....but they are in good range BECAUSE you are a diabetic in good control. If you fall out of control, your bg will creep back up. You are still a diabetic...good control or not.
Zoe....my disdain for the assumption that all Type 2 are overweight, is that it is assumed that you have brought it on. Which is not the case. There are MANY overweight and obese folks out there who will not get diabetes. People assume I'm a Type 1....when they are told that I'm a Type 2, either they will tell me...1) "You don't look like a diabetic"
2) "You can't have diabetes, you're too thin", or
3) " Oh, you're a Type 2, so what did you do to cause it?"
I have asthma also, I didn't cause that either.

I appreciate your response, Linda. Yes, there are certainly exceptions to every rule and you seem to be one. I'm assuming though you are not overweight you do have Insulin Resistance?

Please, please, do not misunderstand me. I do not believe that anyone has caused their own diabetes. Insulin Resistance is a difficult issue that can easily cause weight gain and it is not your fault. I do understand your disdain based on the attendant belief that "it's your fault". And I agree that the etiology of Type 2 has many factors including genetics.

But yes, "thin type 2's" are the exception, and a large number of them are misdiagnosed type 1's.

Zoe....no worries. I do NOT blame you in the least....rather, am answering your question :)
Yes, I am insulin resistant. Dosage for one WITH resistance ON insulin goes along with oral meds, which are meant to reduce the said resistance.
I think it might all be easier if it were not for other things I have had the luck of being wired for!!

Understood! Diabetes all by itself is enough. Jobs? Relationships? Other conditions? Definitely overload. D is a fulltime job - whichever Type!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service