Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 19508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son was thin before being diagnosed with type 1. His need for extra insulin has been the cause of his advance in weight, according to the doctor. Everyone is different I suppose.
Diabetes is hard. Becoming obese is hard. Having both conditions is harder. Having to deal with size predjudice as well is intolerable.
Using insulin doesn't cause weight gain. How did the Dr. justify this? I know its tuff because we sometimes splurge more due to our hypos. But it really does come down to our diet and activity level.
Something to do with extra insulin need during puberty. She said that the extra insulin causes the body to store fat. Don't get me wrong, I did not mean to say that insulin is the only reason. His BG being on the roller coaster, thanks again to puberty, causing the hypos that he tries to fix with excess carbs plus the neuropathy pain in his legs add to the issue. So you are absolutely right there. It does come down to diet and activity. We are trying to figure this all out. He is taking a swimming class to exercise with less pain and we have started counting carbs rather than just doing the sliding scale. Dr. says his weight should even out after puberty when the insulin is easier to dose because his hormones will level out..
I replied to the post because I read the obvious size prejudice being expressed. I had to respond to that. It should not matter whether a person is fat or thin. Diabetes is not prejudiced.
Rose, love your positive attitude about size acceptance. I also wanted to mention that a lot of boys get fat right before their growth spurt -- they need the energy for growth, and can't eat enough, so the body stores fat in preparation.

I'm sorry your son is having pain in his legs and I think swimming is an excellent idea. You just keep up the good work!
Oh gosh, I sure hope I didn't come across as prejudice to wgt/size. That's not me.
I was diagnosed very young too. I am passionate about this disease. I do fitness/wellness/nutrition and focus on seniors and people with chronic illness such as diabetes and hypertension.I also work w/ kids (teach boxing). Years ago in my 20's, I worked in the dialysis field and it opened my eyes so much.
My son was/is a big boy, it has always concerned me. I just made sure to keep him very active and try my best to educate him. Now he is in college and on his own.
I agree with you about puberty doing a number on young people. But I strongly disagree that insulin causes wght gain. Bottom line...this is a metabolic disease which makes wght gain or loss difficult unfortunately. I hear what you are saying about your son having a double whammy to deal with. I am so sorry. It must be so very difficult.
When I take lots of insulin, it does add weight. Of course, if it were under strict control, I wouldn't gain weight.
I've gotten that one so many times too!
Thats what I ALWAYS hear!!! You are too skinny to have diabetes! Seriously!?! People are soooo uneducated about diabetes!
i have adult onset type 1 and was hospitalized for my diagnosis. on the way home i stopped at the store for glucose tablets and stuff. the guy behind me in line made the same comment. DKA led to diagnosis so i weighed just over 100 pounds.
I am adult onset T1, too, and I get that comment a lot- It is the most ignorant compliment in the world!!! LOL I will take it though, I struggled with my weight for years before I got T1, (I lost 100 pounds about a year before I was diagnosed- after all that work to get healthy, T1 was the biggest kick in the teeth ever! so if people want to tell me how thin, I am, I'll take it, even if they are completely ignorant about diabetes!)
I too am an adult onset type 1 and after I lost a lot of weight I was in the hospial with DKA. Well, since trying to get my blood glucose normal I have gained a lot of weight and gained being depressed. I hate when people think that because I am overweight that I can't be type 1, like I want to make that up.
Shortly after I was diagnosed I went to the pharmacy to pick up my insulin, and the person at the counter said.."awww are these medications for your grandma??". I was really annoyed by that comment, I hate when people make assumptions, because apparently I looked too young or too "skinny" to have diabetes!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service