Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 19584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would probably have thought the same thing, because when I was 3 years old, I used to watch my grandma shoot herself up in the leg, and I thought insulin was only something old people did. But what do you expect from a 3-year-old mind? LOL!
Yesss!!!!
AGREEEEED! people think i control it by diet and exercise. they dont realize there are different types of diabetes and i give myself shots 4-5 times a day not including testing. they dont understand diabetes and the crap we go through!
I get that all the time Odessa!!! I get "oh, but you look so healthy". Haha!
What does a diabetic look like? Well. from what I understand we look like Pee Wee Herman and smell vaguely of cheese danish...
Eric

AHAHAHAHAHA!

I was diagnosed at 4 and always got the response of "Oh really, you look too young." Then when I was in high school I worked fast food and you should have seen people then. Oh well then you should lose weight and exercise more. I was 5'6" and weighed 130 lbs.

HAHAHAAaaa...YES!
ROFLMAO!!!! Bravo!!!!
Hahaha!
That is a good one Joe. I'll have to remember that one.
AAAAAhahahahahahahaha....classic response, Joe. I commend you!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service