Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 19606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When people say " stop testing so much, you really dont need to" UGH!
the more the better when it comes to testing. you should do it more just to irritate them and then laugh at them for being callous and ignorant
I've done this.

"Why do you test so much? The girl in my other class doesn't."
"I'm sorry. I happen to have a good A1C and care about my health."

And then i proceed to check my sugar again :)
Tell them what you are really testing is how much of a moron they are....
amen to that joe.some people can say the silly things like you do not look like a diabetic.what the hell does a diabetic look like
NOW I HAVE HEARD THAT ONE SO MANY TIME AND I SAID THE SAME THING. I WAS LIKE I GUESS ALL DIABETICS LOOK EITHER SICKLY OR A FEW 1000LBS IN PEOPLES MIND. IT IS SO CRAZY THAT MOST OF THE NATION AND WORLD KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT.
so sick of this not to brag but im a pretty tall skinny brunette everyone assumes that i have some cancer and im on a stict diet and then i tell them l am a betic and they still don't understand
mind ur own business ;\
ya, I've had it since I was 16 I had always been pretty skinny, not so thin that people thought I had cancer 5'4" 100 in hi school and 120 as a twenty something. Then my thyroid went bad in my thirties and I put 50 lbs on in 5 months, and my old doc said it was normal for my age. Found out it was my thyroid after I changed docs. Thought all I had to do was take a pill, ha ha. I had to work at it to lose, and still have to watch what I eat, so be grateful for your skinnyness while you have it, although it is soooo rude of strangers to ask if you have cancer anyway.
well just a thought but maybe she wasn't just copping out I get ravenously hungry when my sugars are high and the more i consume the higher they get the hungrier I get. When your already overweight and you have diabetes you can almost bet depression goes hand and hand with that, then what about her life what was it like at home was she stressed was she abused? There are so many factors and we say we hate it when people judge us and make remarks about diabetes but here you are a diabetic saying the same thing a non diabetic would say she was copping out blaming her diabetes. Diabetes affects everyone differently so weather you are a diabetic or not we all have our misconceptions and we all voice them sometimes at inappropriate times. The best thing to do when someone makes a comment that shows they are not understanding look at them and smile and say "oh honey you really need to educate yourself about diabetes we're not in the dark ages anymore, were kickin clear into the 21st century now." I am sure if may make them stop and think but just a thought. Everyone have a great day much love April
Right on, Pooh! I think that being overweight and having T2 can be a viscous cycle that it is hard to break out of- insulin resistance makes you gain weight, weight gain contribute to insulin resistance, high blood sugars make you hungry, eating gives you even high blood sugars, just like you said- and there are so many factors beyond that- keep speaking the truth and keep a sense of humor about it!
Are you kidding me right now? Because I was the over weight girl in high school that everyone made fun of and thought that I was just a fat hog that sat at home and ate Twinkie all day! Well I got news for you that is not the case I was/am very active and in fact don't sit at home and eat Twinkie all day. The fact is that I have diabetes as well a hypothyroid so I would like to someone have that and deal with it and lose weight. All I have to say is that I think that you should be ashamed of your self for saying this.
Maybe she had Type 2. And there are lots of skinny people who eat fatty foods quite regularly too, especially in high school! I doubt she was any worse than anyone else. I think YOU are the one with misconceptions about diabetes -- not everyone, even in high school, is a thin Type 1. Heck, even among Type 1's there are obese people!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service