Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 19007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't usually see the need in including others, as much as possible, with my lows. Needing others to take care of me is an uncomfortable thought. Haven't cared for it in the past either, when I was helped by others. Glad they did help me, just believe I should be able to take care of myself, and encourage others to do the same!

Dean, I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, my dad (who had T1) always insisted he was fine when he was having a hypo and refused to eat anything. Everyone in my family had to save his life many times and there were some scary moments over the years. I think my family worries that it will be the same with me, but thanks to my dad's example, I'm vigilant about checking my sugar and doing my best to avoid and treat lows.

And with a low I know I too can be quite uncooperative, even aggressive. Not sure people realize how that can affect ones behavior but I know I wasn't ever in control during those episodes, was just told about them after coming to my senses. I have seen the scared look others close to me get when I am struggling with a low too. So many reasons to stay in good control but I also believe taking care of it myself has caused me to become heartier as a T1.

The worst for me was a fellow Type 2 that said to someone else in my presence" Gary takes insulin now." He said it with pity in his voice like I have a much worse disease than him. I don't need to be pitied because I think I'm doing great and would venture to guess that I have better control than him. I don't need to be pitied because I'm exercising my best treatment option.

Gary

It's amazing how hurtful other people's ignorance can be.

Or the idiots who suggest that it's a punishment from God....because I did not surrender or trusted him enough or whatever! HELLO....it's life...s@@t happens!!

I work in a hospital laboratory (we run the tests that give A1c results and stuff like that). I am a Type 1 in my 20's.

A morbidly obese co-worker commented on my food choices during a holiday potluck. She said, in front of the rest of our staff, that I must want to lose my feet and go blind.

As she ate a Triple Whopper with a piece of pie beside it.

omgosh Red....bet you nearly smacked her!!

Don't about Red but would have taken great effort on my part not to, Even more effort not to use a few four letter words.

Oh my goodness! That's horrible. Who says stuff like that?! There are all kinds out there, that's for sure.

I've experienced a lot of annoying comments but probably the most annoying was a former co-worker. When she found out I have diabetes, she said "Oh, well, I better not sit near you then. You're contagious."

At first I thought she was kidding. She wasn't!

I was in an argument with people I knew through a friend online and four of them kept stating that I was just lazy and didn't want to cure my type one. Another person insisted it was because I ate meat and my parents ate meat, even though I'm a vegetarian. And someone else said it would be cured if I did some research and ate a raw diet.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service