Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zoe....no worries. I do NOT blame you in the least....rather, am answering your question :)
Yes, I am insulin resistant. Dosage for one WITH resistance ON insulin goes along with oral meds, which are meant to reduce the said resistance.
I think it might all be easier if it were not for other things I have had the luck of being wired for!!

Understood! Diabetes all by itself is enough. Jobs? Relationships? Other conditions? Definitely overload. D is a fulltime job - whichever Type!

And how can you be so certain you have T2? What makes that any different than a T1 if you are on insulin? Please educate me!

I have heard enough stories from people who were told they had t2, were on all sorts of meds, but then changed their lifestyle and got off all the meds and are now living a disease free life. So you are telling me all those people were lying??

Type 1 is an autoimmune condition, Dean, and Type 2 is not (it's characterized by insulin resistance). The definitive test for Type is antibody testing. If you have antibodies you have Type 1.

I'm not sure who you're addressing the question about Type 2 to, but I'll let someone else respond to that.

Dean....if the question is directed at me....I have already answers.

Dean, there IS such a thing as thin T2. There's even a group for them here.

If the definition of T1 is antibody positive, then what would you call someone who is antibody negative, regardless of their weight or use of medications?

Then, of course, what do you call someone who is antibody negative, but not insulin-resistant?

The point I'm trying to make is that you CAN'T fit everyone in boxes, and overgeneralizations just don't work. Not all T2s are fat, not all of them are unfit, and not all of them eat badly. And not all of them can get off meds, even if they kill themselves with diet and exercise. So your blame game is unfair, and doesn't help even the ones who ARE large and unable to exercise vigorously. I'd much rather see you help people rather than criticize them -- why don't you become a health coach for obese people, the MAJORITY of whom will never, ever get T2?

It wouldn't let me reply down the thread. I read back and don't see any difference! I am T1, insulin dependent, and thin, never been over 195 pounds, down to 170 now. The only difference that I can understand based on what I know is that instead of your t2 coming on fast like t1 did for me. Yours came on slowly, you built up resistance to insulin over a long period and eventually had to go on insulin, right? That would be the only difference other than you call it something else. Any other reason would just mean you have T1.

This thread is getting really disorganized. Judith, I'm not sure who you're talking to. I don't see an argument, or even a debate going on. What I see is an attempt to clarify misconceptions, which is exactly what you are proposing. What am I missing?

Dean, the major difference between type 1 and type 2 is that type 1 is an autoimmune condition; type two is not.

It was directed at Linda G. I am still confused by this, and I am not as ignorant as many may want to believe. Been dealing with T1 for long enough, seen enough T2s in my life, and without fail they were all overweight. Unlike you, I do believe letting oneself get overweight is a, if not primary, cause of T2. The correlation of increased obesity and increased diagnoses of T2 in the US is a pretty clear indicator. Take the fact that kids are also getting bigger and are being diagnosed with T2 and even more proof of such. Plus those that are overweight who change eating and exercise habits and get off all meds. How much more do I need to say to convince you why I believe the way I do?? Yet the responses I am getting keep telling my ignorant I am about T2, which I still believe is a choice.

So if Linda takes insulin, like a t1, yet claims to have resistance, so takes meds too, like a t2, then she has real issues!! But that is what I am understanding. Otherwise it comes across as a "poor me, no one understands what I really have, and look how different I am than everyone else" which I find really annoying. It also goes along with the T2s I have seen, overweight and not interested in taking responsibility for their own health, who whine about their condition. It is truly sad!! Yes people are responsible for their own health, some things cannot be avoided, but we are all responsible for what we do with our conditions. So many here won't do a thing until they "check with their doctor". In my opinion, that is about the lamest thing I know. Educate yourself, quit relying on someone else to responsible for your own health!!

I guess my new most annoying comment comes from others with D who act as if they have no control over their own health and well being because it is easier to put that on someone else!!

Thank you for letting me rant a bit!!

Hi Zoe, I don't why it burns Linda but I do know why it burns me. I think that the premise that if you are fat you are T2 or if you T2 you must be fat just clouds the issues and even prevents some people from being properly diagnosed. Way to many doctors only look at the scales and a persons girth when determining a person type

Not all are as enlighten as you and realize the connection between insulin resistance and weight. Weight is an issues used by way to many to lay blame when what is really needed is understanding.

I understand, Gary. When I was misdiagnosed as Type 2 I had been losing weight at an incredible rate but still was somewhat overweight. That, plus my age were the sole basis on which, I believe, the incorrect diagnosis was made. I wish we could just let go of all these ideas of blame as well as the oversimplified characterizations of Type. Then we could all move forward to 1) ascertain our correct Type and 2) treat it the best we can.

To be honest: If I were, in fact Type 2, I would feel exactly the way you and Linda feel.

This kind of stupidity burns me up every time bro. And I've always said it boils down to our belief system; and the problem with belief systems is, it doesn't inspire you to read more about what you think you know. There is so much stupidity going around I could cry

-Yogi

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service