Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I have heard way too many diagnosed with T2 who were able to get off all meds by changing their lifestyle. So why would I think T2 is anything but a choice people make, due to laziness?? Oh right, that makes me some kind of jerk just because my experience tells me it is really not a real disease but a choice!!

Hey! If you need an excuse/crutch to say you can't do anything about your condition, then that is your choice!! I am trying to do something about mine even though nothing I have tried so far has worked. I still own it!! It is my issue, my responsibility. Don't agree, well boo hoo!!!

Can't understand why you think I haven't done research into this just because I have a different opinion than you!!

A hospital nurse who said 'I hate diabetics'. I chatted to her gently about this. What she was actually expressing was her difficulty in managing their conditions when they were in her care, because every one of us is unique, and as we all know - no two days are the same!!! So really she was just expressing a frustration many of us must feel - arrrgh what a pain managing BG's can be :)
Also, we're generally a lot more medically informed than the average patient so are a lot more questioning.

ok...so even diabetics can get it wrong...
I just went to a work associate and he had a new person working
with him. I was discussing my health management routine, and the new guy
whips out his novolog pen and says just get this. kinda like to fix my problem.
I said I have tried Humulog... man, its works way too fast. I am type1, 5'09", 163lbs and a light eater. this man was 6ft something, 240lbs with type2. He did not understand about sensitivity to insulin. He just took 15units novolog pen, I thought wow that would kill me. Many people and doctors think insulin works the same in everybody. which further pushes my diabetes into my own hands.

I WAS TOLD BY DR IF I DONT CONTOL MY DIABETES BETTER I WILL DIEUF A HEAT ATTACK THAT WAS PRETTY ANNOYING

Part of reason I just don't listen to them anyway. Don't need their pharmaceuticals, and they have pushed enough of them on me over the years, nor their talking down to me like I haven't figured enough of this out yet. Quite annoying folk for the most part. Have had a few decent ones over the years but a good one has been tough to hang on to for long periods.

http://health.yahoo.net/health/type-2-diabetes/statistics

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Type-2-Diabetes.aspx

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/DS00585

These three were found quickly and all point to what I am talking about but I keep hearing how ignorant I am. Here is another list from WebMD

Anyone can get type 2 diabetes. However, those at highest risk for the disease are those who
Are over 45
Are obese or overweight
Have had gestational diabetes
Have family members who have type 2 diabetes
Have prediabetes
Are inactive
Have low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides levels
Have high blood pressure
Are members of certain racial or ethnic groups

So whether or not you like what I am saying, telling me I don't know what I am talking about doesn't seem to add up to what is readily out there about T2!! Can you explain that?

T2 is a genetic anomaly. I try to avoid talking about weight imbalances, perhaps because I got rather heavy as a T1, and talk about BG control T2 is an evil disease, just like T1 and the common element is to fix the BG. Most people, at least in the US, are inactive and eat lots of carbs, have various cardiac issues, HTN, etc. so I'm not sure saying "T2 are inactive" has a huge amount of validity to fix the problem, which is genetic in nature.

As a society, we often make serious logical errors on things like T2. Here Dean listsed a number of "risks" for T2. A risk simply means an association, it does not mean a cause. Exactly how much is high blood sugar a "cause" of diabetes. Yet, there it is right there in the list list of risks. So we might ask how many of these risks are actually symptoms of diabetes?

Here is my list of possible symptoms of T2 diabetes:

Are obese or overweight
Have had gestational diabetes
Have prediabetes
Are inactive
Have low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides levels
Have high blood pressure

Gosh, that is almost everything. And yet we have made a leap of faith, confusing the associations with causes of diabetes with the result that we come to the illogical conclusion that if you fix the symptoms, diabetes will disappear. And we even have so called medical professionals confusing a symptom for a cause and leaving total confusion in their path of destruction.

"Leap of faith" is a good way to put it! Gary Taubes' books (which I probably read, at least in part, because of Brian's reviews thereof...) make the point that many people who are obese are very aware of it and, in fact, may eat less than people who aren't. It's hard to jump on everyone making uninformed comments linking diabetes and obesity but I think that it's important to do so. I have learned a lot about T2 hanging around here and I try to avoid talking about obesity too much, except for my own experience.

So all those sites are can talk about obesity linked to t2 but you are above that?? The correlations to t2 and obesity are talked about all over the place, but you won't talk about it here! So this is like the White Elephant in the room then I guess.

For me it seems you miss the point. It isn't so much about being obese. It is about the fact that most of us, whether or not we want to accept the REALITY, have a lot more control over what happens to us than we realize. The vast majority of humans can change their lifestyle. Especially if their lifestyle is causing them to be sick. Forks over Knives is a movie which highlights this nicely. But I guess here at TUD we have all the unfortunate souls who don't fit the medical description of t2. Wow, just think of the odds!! (sarc)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service