Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 18982

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG....what the H is wrong with those people!!!!!

I second that Linda. Although it does sound like a case of stupid to me

Believe me. It gets worse...

-Yogi

You shouldn't have kids because they will be diabetic.

I have had people say to me..."are you supposed to eating that?"...
To which I reply... are you supposed to treating your spouse with love and respect?
basically I am telling them your relationship is more sick than I am.

They say "You should not eat that your a diabetic?"
to which I say.."well, what am I supposed to eat?" they have no answer.

This is a personal disease and only when I own it myself is when I can some level
of control to manage it.

It's funny, I see this comment on the board frequently (which, yes, is definitely annoying!). I've never gotten this comment, what I get is the opposite: This restaurant has great (vegetarian) pizza for you, Zoe! Basically, "I thought it's just sugar you can't eat when I refuse the lasagna, pasta, cereal, rice, bread or potatoes." Oh yeah, and when I occasionally treat myself to potatoes with breakfast when I'm eating out, in a puzzled tone, "you don't want the toast??" One of the advantages of being D: Knowing that both toast and potatoes is way too many carbs!

I was in my hospital room the day following my admission when I was diagnosed. This is a "learning" hospital meaning that interns are all over the place. You get to see several interns before seeing a doctor. The first intern came in and upon looking at me sitting on the end of my bed watching TV, stated, "Well...you're not a really big guy." with a very perplexed look on his face. At the time, I was diagnosed with Type 2 and the medical community thinks that everyone with Type 2 is overweight.

The next neato thing said to me was by a customer of mine. "So...guess you ate to much sugar." My response was, "Nope. Diabetes has nothing to do with that." and just left it at that.

There have been so many others. Way to many to name at this point.

Oh Thalamos....this association of Type 2 to being overweight burns me!!!

Can I ask why, Linda? Most Type 2's are overweight. This doesn't mean they're bad people or that it's their "fault"; it's just a common consequence of Insulin Resistance, the hallmark of Type 2. To me when someone describes themselves as a "thin Type 2" my first thought is, "perhaps they've been misdiagnosed and are, in fact, LADA/Type 1. If Thalamos' doctor (or mine) had followed that thinking through and explored other factors that are uncommon to Type 2 such as insulin sensitivity, low c-peptide, other autoimmune condition, time to needing insulin, and of course, Antibodies, he/she would have come to the correct conclusion that we are in fact Type 1 and saved us (or me, speaking for myself) a lot of time, energy and money wasted on the incorrect treatments.

I know a guy who originally told me he was Type 2, thin, a runner, quite fit, but still went straight to insulin. Saw him some years later and he told me that he was told he was mis-diagnosed and was actually a Type 1. Type 2 seems to be the gradual onset of insulin resistance, brought on my poor diet and health. I am no doctor, but seems to me if you go straight to insulin and are not in an unhealthy state (overweight and don't exercise) then you probably have Type 1. If you can exercise, lose weight, eat better, and your diabetes goes away, then that is definitely type 2. Something very different than type 1, in my opinion. And that is a big problem because it detracts attention from the, still incurable, type 1.

@ Zoe, This is another thing that burns me up. There are quite a few people who have LADA that are thick/big boned. Don't forget our beloved Manny is a thick guy and he has LADA. Hello? Second, according to the ADA, there is some insulin resistance with LADA. Third, I have interviewed a type 1 that later on developed some insulin resistance as he got older. I really do hate these labels, I really, really do.

-Yogi

First of all, my name is Zoe, there is no "@" in my name. (thanks). I've met with Manny, DR, and didn't see him as being overweight. I'm sorry I don't really know what "thick" means. I disagree that "there is some insulin resistance with LADA". LADA is, basically, Type 1, the only difference is in the rate of onset. And most Type 1's do not initially have Insulin Resistance. They can, of course, develop it over time, especially if they gain weight as they get older. I agree, Yogi, that labels always have exceptions, but there are things that are generally true.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service