Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Girl at school: "You can't have chocolate, can you ?"
Me: "Of course I can eat chocolate. I can eat anything I want."
Girl: "Ah, I know, that's what you've got your insulin for."

In the last few years I've met so many people who think diabetics only need insulin when they want to eat sweets. Most people at my school know of my diabetes. But they are totally unaware that I have to take insulin for non-sugary foods too. This girl was shocked when I told her that I have to take basal insulin even if I don't eat anything. Her reaction was like "Well ... I think I couldn't live with that."

Personally I think we'd all be better off if Diabetic educators went back to suggesting people needed to limit sweets and other carbs in their diets.

For adults, I definitely agree. For children, it's a tighter line, because all their friends are eating candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and pizza and soda and hamburgers, etc. And teenagers, especially, mostly want to be part of the crowd. So I think the emphasis needs to be to learn how to eat that stuff appropriately (like one slice of pizza instead of the whole thing), and how to dose for it.

With that said, a major problem I've observed over the past year is that children with diabetes grow into teenagers, with their parents still taking most of the responsibility, and then all of a sudden, they're adults, and they really didn't understand what was going on, and they've moved away from home, and don't have a clue as to how to manage their diabetes, because it was always done for them. I think ages 15 - 30 are a crucial time for young adults with diabetes, and that's the time to teach them about carbs, and appropriate eating and calculating ratios and handling stress, exercise and illness, and all the other things that mess with BG control. In the past, insurance companies (if they had insurance at all) wouldn't cover the intense education they need at this time in their lives; I don't know if that will change with Obamacare, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe someone will cheer me up in this department!

When I meet parents of those with kids with T1 I try and stress to them that they need to teach their kids to take care of themselves. We are all primarily responsible for our own health and well being, and these kids need to have as much information to take care of themselves. Parents need to let them, too!

I think I just see a larger cultural attitude of self-indulgence. We all seem to feel it is our entitlement to eat carbs, sugar, etc and not to in any way be deprived of anything. I think the change of doctors attitude from advising Diabetics to not eat sugar and lower carbs to "you can eat anything you want and bolus for it" is symptomatic of that incredibly spoiled entitlement that's become almost the hallmark of our materialistic culture.

Oh! I do that because I want to "live" my life, or did in the past anyway. I eat much better now than I ever have. However, I don't listen to doctors either. After so many years of T1 I know as much as I need to know. Most of the doctors I have talked with don't have as much experience with this as I do, and don't live with it either. They are a necessary part of getting my meds and testing, but otherwise I haven't gotten good or new advice from one for years.

I think my point is that our cultural value defines "living our life" as indulging every whim, satisfying it immediately and to excess and anything less as "being deprived".

I don't think they market it correctly. It's way more self-indulgent to do less work and I am 100% certain that eating less carbs is less work. I don't totally low-carb b/c I'm sort of nutso and enjoy experimenting and risk taking and taking little boluses and jellybeans here and there to "cover" experimental variation but it's important to have a strategy and I don't see how the medical industry hasn't figured out the benefits of lowering carbohydrates and all of that.

Although the last couple of years, I guess I've seen places tossing less fries on plates and stuff like that but I wasn't sure if it was medically oriented or more a consequence of the restaurant industry struggling with the economy.

The problem is that "normal" is, in fact, WRONG and that societies as a whole need to consider all of the evidence. We had the "food pyramid" molding people's thinking for decades, telling everyone "fat is bad, carbs are good" so it should not suprise anyone that, 50 years later, we are seeing what we are seeing. It's sort of weird that we then react with ***alarm*** at T2 penetrating new demographics when science suggests that's exactly what would happen. I think that carbs are very much an input/output thing and that the number that we need is quite a bit lower than what dietetics would prescribe. At least the Taubes' books (my main source, plus the posts around here...) suggest that there's not a consensus about what the "high end" of "low carb" should be but I would think that would be a critical discovery, like a longitude of food ("longifood?"), that would allow everyone to say "this is IT" but, since we're still in a contentious phase, we're not quite at the point to install a new reality, one that might allow us to more readily manage our societal approach to diabetes more effectively.

I see what you are trying to say, but it sounds a lot like you are relying on the "experts" or "authority" to tell us what to eat. This is a problem because it takes away the responsibility of the individual. It doesn't take rocket science to know that eating more fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and whole foods, is going to be way better than processed carbs!! I don't understand why people want others to tell them what is okay to eat, as if we don't know as a nation that eating fast food on a regular basis leads to all sorts of health issues!! Pure insanity!

Hard to be in a spot where you know that many of what people complain about has to do with how they treat their own bodies and what they put in them, but no matter how well I eat, I will never get better!!

...what I'm trying to say is that people with diabetes, particularly those of us who test our BG relatively frequently, are the people with "The Right Stuff" who can provide data to prove or disprove theses about food. But we are looked at as fragile or corrupted and they don't look at our reams of data.

I see!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Helmsley Charitable Trust Renews Support for DHF

HELMSLEY CHARITABLE TRUST GRANTS SUPPORT TO DIABETES HANDS FOUNDATION FOR FOURTH YEAR  Funding in 2015 to support major transitions in programs and leadership at Diabetes Hands Foundation BERKELEY, CA: February 18, 2015 – The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Read on! →

Spare A Rose, Save A Child for Valentines Day

Here’s a new way to celebrate Valentines Day: Buy a dozen roses, spare the cost of one (about $5) and donate to IDF’s Life for a Child program. By doing this, you will help children in need of life saving insulin. Those of Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Melissa Lee
(Interim Executive Director, Editor, has type 1)

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, has LADA)

Emily Coles (Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Director of Operations and Development, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2015   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service