Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did....now I have one who has become rather indifferent! Sigh....can't win!

I'm type 1 and had someone ask if I lost weight would I get better?

When I was a kid and first diabetic I was riding a train from Chicago to Taos NM. I was giving myself a dose of insulin and as i did I dropped the vial and it rolled on the floor of the train. As the vial rolled on the floor it passed two older ladies and one said to another pointing at the vial, that boy uses insulin, its addictive. Ahh you think?

This is a funny question. When I was 18 I was involved with this girl and we had a big Christmas dinner with her entire family. At the table her great grandmother, whom was very senile and in some weird crochety way adorable, looked at my girlfriend and said "You need to break up with that boy. He's sickly, he's got the sugar dia-betus. Just look at him. You need to be with someone whos stronger, who can take care of you, you're just gonna end up taking care of him your whole life."

Makes me so sad, my daughter is 12 I hate to see her move through life with this disease, marriage is stressful enough as it is, how do you do it with diabetes too?

With someone who loves you....all of you, Type 1 included!

I was at a conference recently and there was a panel of family members and one woman kept referring to her husband's Type 1 as his "affliction". "Affliction??" and this guy who was about 65 years old was a very active racing cyclist and D advocate - nothing about him seemed "afflicted". If I was 18, diagnosed with Type 1 and dating, I would be looking for guys who saw me as the strong self-sufficient woman I am, not someone "afflicted" or who had to be "taken care of".

He is a lucky guy! I don't know about women with this, but I do know myself and my brother, who both have had trouble keeping people in our lives. T1 causes issues with mood, especially when low, which can make us difficult to be around. I know my brother's wife left for that reason and I myself know it has caused problems with my relationships. Not saying it will, but just so you know the pitfalls it can cause.

Yeah, that's how I see it. A friend of mine ask me this question a little while ago, "If you didn't have diabetes what would you do differently in your life?" I sat there thinking about all the wild adventures I've had in my life, and that I plan to keep having, and I said "Ya know man, my life would be exactly the same. I already do whatever I want to do, diabetes doesn't restrict me at all...it just makes me a little more precautious when I'm climbing or skiing or whatever."

My life would have been very different if not for T1. Had planned to join the military, let them pay for college after a few years. I could not get in with T1 so had to figure that out on my own. Took about 13 years but did get it done on my own. Who knows where life would have taken me if only.....

Girl at school: "You can't have chocolate, can you ?"
Me: "Of course I can eat chocolate. I can eat anything I want."
Girl: "Ah, I know, that's what you've got your insulin for."

In the last few years I've met so many people who think diabetics only need insulin when they want to eat sweets. Most people at my school know of my diabetes. But they are totally unaware that I have to take insulin for non-sugary foods too. This girl was shocked when I told her that I have to take basal insulin even if I don't eat anything. Her reaction was like "Well ... I think I couldn't live with that."

Personally I think we'd all be better off if Diabetic educators went back to suggesting people needed to limit sweets and other carbs in their diets.

For adults, I definitely agree. For children, it's a tighter line, because all their friends are eating candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and pizza and soda and hamburgers, etc. And teenagers, especially, mostly want to be part of the crowd. So I think the emphasis needs to be to learn how to eat that stuff appropriately (like one slice of pizza instead of the whole thing), and how to dose for it.

With that said, a major problem I've observed over the past year is that children with diabetes grow into teenagers, with their parents still taking most of the responsibility, and then all of a sudden, they're adults, and they really didn't understand what was going on, and they've moved away from home, and don't have a clue as to how to manage their diabetes, because it was always done for them. I think ages 15 - 30 are a crucial time for young adults with diabetes, and that's the time to teach them about carbs, and appropriate eating and calculating ratios and handling stress, exercise and illness, and all the other things that mess with BG control. In the past, insurance companies (if they had insurance at all) wouldn't cover the intense education they need at this time in their lives; I don't know if that will change with Obamacare, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe someone will cheer me up in this department!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service