Whats the most annoying comment you've ever gotten about diabetes?

I've gotten quite a lot of really annoying and sometimes even hurtful comments about my diabetes...

When i told a family friend who (by the way) is an assistant nurse about my condition she said "really? but you will get better right? it will go away when you start taking care of yourself?"
and i said "no, i will always be a diabetic and i will actually get worse since my body will eventually stop producing insulin all together"
and she still kept insisting that I would get better in time and that my condition would go away...

i couldnt believe she knew so little

Views: 20655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think my point is that our cultural value defines "living our life" as indulging every whim, satisfying it immediately and to excess and anything less as "being deprived".

I don't think they market it correctly. It's way more self-indulgent to do less work and I am 100% certain that eating less carbs is less work. I don't totally low-carb b/c I'm sort of nutso and enjoy experimenting and risk taking and taking little boluses and jellybeans here and there to "cover" experimental variation but it's important to have a strategy and I don't see how the medical industry hasn't figured out the benefits of lowering carbohydrates and all of that.

Although the last couple of years, I guess I've seen places tossing less fries on plates and stuff like that but I wasn't sure if it was medically oriented or more a consequence of the restaurant industry struggling with the economy.

The problem is that "normal" is, in fact, WRONG and that societies as a whole need to consider all of the evidence. We had the "food pyramid" molding people's thinking for decades, telling everyone "fat is bad, carbs are good" so it should not suprise anyone that, 50 years later, we are seeing what we are seeing. It's sort of weird that we then react with ***alarm*** at T2 penetrating new demographics when science suggests that's exactly what would happen. I think that carbs are very much an input/output thing and that the number that we need is quite a bit lower than what dietetics would prescribe. At least the Taubes' books (my main source, plus the posts around here...) suggest that there's not a consensus about what the "high end" of "low carb" should be but I would think that would be a critical discovery, like a longitude of food ("longifood?"), that would allow everyone to say "this is IT" but, since we're still in a contentious phase, we're not quite at the point to install a new reality, one that might allow us to more readily manage our societal approach to diabetes more effectively.

I see what you are trying to say, but it sounds a lot like you are relying on the "experts" or "authority" to tell us what to eat. This is a problem because it takes away the responsibility of the individual. It doesn't take rocket science to know that eating more fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and whole foods, is going to be way better than processed carbs!! I don't understand why people want others to tell them what is okay to eat, as if we don't know as a nation that eating fast food on a regular basis leads to all sorts of health issues!! Pure insanity!

Hard to be in a spot where you know that many of what people complain about has to do with how they treat their own bodies and what they put in them, but no matter how well I eat, I will never get better!!

...what I'm trying to say is that people with diabetes, particularly those of us who test our BG relatively frequently, are the people with "The Right Stuff" who can provide data to prove or disprove theses about food. But we are looked at as fragile or corrupted and they don't look at our reams of data.

I see!

Well, when, Lake Wobegon to the contrary, half of the population is NOT above average, and there is a fast-food joint on every corner, and the grocery store is LOADED with boxed, highly-processed, high-carb foods proudly proclaiming themselves to be low-fat, and the high-carb food pyramid has been SO ingrained into our national psyche, I DON'T think you can just write it off to personal responsibility. There are LOTS of people doing the best they can with what they know, and it's mostly not their fault that what they know may not be correct. Even the "experts" are arguing about it -- what does little Joe Schmoe or his wife Josephine know about it?

And then they don't know how to cook, anyway, and it takes too much time to cook from scratch when they're both working, and the Hamburger Helper box makes it SO much easier! Sure, natural foods, but do you know how intimidating all those round things are when you don't know what to do with them? Grandma did, but she's gone, now, and cooking is NOT part of the high-school curriculum!! (In my day, it was a jr. high requirement for girls, but not for boys)

I guess I've got my dander up, because it's so much easier to criticize than to help. And to make assumptions about what we as a nation know, when there is no such thing as the nation -- only individuals trying to make their way in the world. Affluent, educated people probably know a good bit about what might constitute good nutrition, but they aren't the whole nation, by a long shot.

Sorry for the rant!

Well I don't mind helping as many people as I can. Every chance I get to educate someone I do. Just did it today in a group I was in. These people have little idea about the different types of D, or at least nothing other than knowing there is two types. Agreed about the level of ignorance out there!! T1 caused me to educate myself, so perhaps there was a blessing in disguise. Much as I wish it never had happened!!

One of the most annoying comments I have received is, "what did you do to get diabetes?"

Another is. "you don't look like you have diabetes."

And a third is... "You're on insulin? I'm so sorry!!."

ALL ANNOYING!!!

Since I got diagnosed a little over four years ago, I've spent more time educating people who know very little or nothing at all!! I get so annoyed about comments regarding my supplies that I carry around, how often I test, who's grandparent had diabetes & never tested, etc. etc. etc. And then there is the infamous Diabetes Police, "YOU CAN'T EAT THAT!!"

I wish I could say there was one comment that stands out, but there isn't!!

Usually, I don't let uninformed comments get to me, but the holiday season found me struggling with major bg fluctuations and ignorant comments from family members who should know better by now...

From my sister-in-law right after I had served Christmas dinner (I served many low carb options so that I could have control over what I was eating): "My friends said that if you walk every day, your diabetes will go away". Wow, why didn't I think of that? (especially since I'm Type 1).

Texts from my brother and my daughter on New Year's Day: "Did ya'll eat black-eyed peas today?". No, I chose not to carb load with my bg stuck over 200 for 12 hours while I figured out if it was a site problem or a hormone issue (apparently hormones again).

Thank you for letting me vent. These comments just really rubbed me the wrong way because I've been struggling in a major way with control.

Where do I start?

Being told I need statins with a cholesterol of 4.5 mmol/l. When earlier use left me in pain with a cholesterol of 6.4 mmol/l. I now eat butter no marg too, heh heh.

Being told we are at more risk of just about anything. IMO we're monitored more, period! Also the self fulfilling prophecy aspects of this are disturbing. How about focusing on keeping us healthy for a change and without chucking chemicals at the mere distant site of an 'abnormality'?

Being told that a sugar of 27-33 mmol/l (500-600 mg/dl)is not grounds for admission if there are no ketones (you still rapidly dehydrate), and due to ongoing abnormal bleeding from sets and injection sites.

In my experience we make a lot of medics nervous. Simply because we know more about ourselves and the condition than they do.

I could go on!

It ain't easy being D!! Especially when you bring others, who don't have to deal with it on a day to day basis, into it!! I generally do just fine with my control. So much so that even on the odd occasion where it impacts me enough to do something others are not familiar with, they have to remind themselves that I have this condition. It can just be that easy to not remember for them, while I can not really relax about it, no breaks or vacations for us!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Joins Diabetes Advocacy Alliance

Diabetes Hands Foundation is incredibly honored to join the Diabetes Advocacy Alliance, an organization with the drive and potential to affect a powerful, positive impact on diabetes and healthcare policy. Diabetes Advocacy Alliance is a 20-member coalition of leading professional Read on! →

Helmsley Charitable Trust Renews Support for DHF

HELMSLEY CHARITABLE TRUST GRANTS SUPPORT TO DIABETES HANDS FOUNDATION FOR FOURTH YEAR  Funding in 2015 to support major transitions in programs and leadership at Diabetes Hands Foundation BERKELEY, CA: February 18, 2015 – The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Melissa Lee
(Interim Executive Director, Editor, has type 1)

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, has LADA)

Emily Coles (Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Director of Operations and Development, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2015   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service