I know everyone is different but I keep getting these swings of needing not very much insulin and then needing a lot and it is very frusterating.

Right now(this is one of those bad times) my I:C is 1:10-12 and ISF about 25. most of the time its more like I:C is 1:18 and ISF of 40-60 depending on time of day, activity and mood

So whats yours????

And is this swing norm??? It will be like a week of hell and a few weeks of norm

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I:C of 1:15 for breakfast and lunch, 1:18 for dinner.

ISF of 1:75
What is ISF?
Insulin sensitivity factor. How many points one unit of insulin lowers your blood sugar, used for correction purposes. Mine is about 1/40. One unit of insulin will lower my blood sugar 40 points.
How do you figure out your ISF?
A T1.5 LADA in honeymoon is likely to be very different, so I hesitate to give any recommendation.

The best way is to test - if your BG is high and you don't have any active bolus insulin (and your basal is set correctly), then see how much a unit of bolus brings your BG down. That is your ISF. But if your pancreas is still working (LADA and honeymoon) then your BG may come down on its own, which makes your ISF harder to measure.

It can be guessed at using equations starting with TDD (total daily dose): the 1500 rule etc. But these are designed for T1 not in honeymoon. They are in the Using Insulin, Pumping Insulin, Think Like a Pancreas, etc. books and also can be found online.
You got it. But to get an accurate result you need to wait until all the rapid acting insulin has had a chance to complete its action - and that can take 4-5 hours. So your sensitivity is likely even bigger than 1:100. Next time assume a number larger than 100 and treat based on that; then hopefully it'll settle down nicely without needing to treat with orange juice and after the four or so hours you'll get an even more accurate number. As with all this diabetes stuff, it takes several attempts before you can settle on a number. (And then of course things change in a month so you have to do it all over again!)
Wow thats a high ISF...I think from my insulin to carb ratio one unit only drops me maybe 50 points but I have not tested my ISF without food just to bring down a high so I will need to test this out soon.
Thanks Jag. Yes I did read about this in Using Insulin but I believe it was called "testing your correction factor" so I was a little confused. I have not done this yet but don't seem to be very sensitive to humalog.
People vary widely, partly because of eating and exercise habits, but also according to how much insulin resistance they have (yes, Type 1's DO get insulin resistance -- usually none to mild, but sometimes significant!)
In my case, my I:C ratio is 1:8, and my ISF is 30. I do have some mild insulin resistance, but according to my endo, I'm not far off the mark. And looking at the answers here, I am also reassured! :-)
I believe for my size and being a honeymooning LADA I am not very sensitive to insulin. My I:C ratio is only 1:8-10 so at my size, how much I exercise, and being in my honeymoon I would consider myself to have some insulin resistance which my endo said most LADAs are insulin deficient AND resistant and I believe I fall into that category.
Interesting -- I fall into that category too, although my diabetes showed up 20 years ago. I'm only slightly insulin-resistant, and don't see any reason to mess around with Metformin, because of its GI side-effects, and the fact that I'm usually under 40u TDD. I'd almost certainly be lower if I'd exercise more! :-S And my hospital stay proved that I'm definitely insulin deficient, although I've never had a C-peptide. I'm saving that for next year when I start the process to go on Medicare.
I'm typically 1:5 and ISF 25. Being 5 months pregnant, I'm 1:2 in the morning and 1:4 the rest of the day. ISF still 25.

It think it's normal to have to change your I:C a few times per year-
I have to change mine when I have my menstrual cycle. haha.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service