how old was everyone when they got diabetes ? and how does everyone cope with it ??:)

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had just turned 33 when I was diagnosed with Type 2, last November 17th, 2009... 3 days after World Diabetes Day, and 6 days after my birthday. I cope as I can, one day at a time... one moment or second at a time, sometimes. I do a low carb diet, and it helps keep me from swinging a lot, or from taking pills or insulin... for now, anyways.
i was 7 years old, .and i cope day to day like everyone else, im so glad i found this group to help me cope with it even more because you all help each other through it and its so amazing the amount of support that is shared in this wonderful group of people. and wow thanks eveyone for the different stories. diabetes has touched everyone in so many different ways it cool to see how u got it and how u cope with it :)
I was 6 or 7 ('67/'68) - I went undiagnosed for awhile as children with diabetes was still a rarity in my days - parents thought I was iron deficient - therefore - liver EVERY friggin' night - and my reward for eating that crap (parents ate calves liver - we kids ate the old cow liver - mean parents) - my reward after eating that ... a CANDY! Then my bed wetting got too much for my pristine clean freak Mum (I think she really regretted having me at that point) - then it dawned on my parents - something was amiss with Miss Piddily Pantaloons (moi) - oh and I was losing weight quite rapidly so my pants wouldn't stay on me - as I told George Simmon's today - I could have become a stripper and made good money!!! Placed in the geratrics ward of a nearby hospital - and had a ball raiding the kitchen fridge at night time when I slipped out of my caged bed (I was hungry - what do you expect?).
Ahh, the memories of a crazed diabetic child - and still crazy :)
Hi Nicole, I was diagnosed in 1979 at the age of 14. I rarely think about my disease. I'm a busy internal medicine physician and i spend my day seeing patients. I use my pump whenever i eat and only test in the morning and before bed. So far so good -- no vascular or neurologic complications, i've never been hospitalized, and i feel great. Good luck to you.
I was dxd. with Sugar Diabetes(Type 1) when I was age 3 in the No-Meter-Days. Not much knowledge of Diabetes back then either especially in the country. I remember seizures and pains in my calves when my urine test showed orange-4+++.

I resented not being allowed to eat sweet stuff like my Friends did. After all, I was still a Kid who had a Sweet Tooth like most other Kids did and I Really didn't believe that I would die from eating it, when I was young. I did my Best not to.

I learned about Diabetes, little by little mostly on my own through the years by reading and Thank Goodness we got on the Net in about 1998, so I learned a lot more especially from personal experiences on Diabetes Communities from about 2002. I found that It wasn't all correct because advice and studies change frequently but I take it as it comes. I'm doing much Better with Diabetes, so it's a natural routine to me.

Bleh! I still hate liver. :-/
Agree with all you said there Terri
Hey Danny I'm the oddball here. I like it.
LOL!
I love liver and onions also! Went out to eat last weekend and had some. It was great!
Sorry, only it its Braunschweiger. Then I love it!
Liver and onions at Friendly's. Yum.
45 but was misdiagnosed as type 2. Was 47 when the tests were finally run to correct the diagnosis to T1 (LADA)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service