i mean when i eat sth containing full carb i inject and i have balanced blood sugar but when i eat high protein or fat i get low blood sugar in the short term.
so i wonder how long does it take to get mix with blood for those 3 macromolecules?

Tags: blood, carb, carbonhydrate, diabetes, fat, protein, sugar

Views: 1060

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can tell you what these do in ME! YOU have to figure it out for how they are in YOU! In ME, glucose tablets start within a minute.
Fruit, a carb, starts within 5 minutes. And it depends which fruit.
Starches, carbs, differ. Cereal starts in about 10 minutes. Pasta in 20. Vegetables depend on how starchy they are, I guess. I get away with very little spiking with veg, minimal with squash.
Protein doesn't hit me til a couple hours.
Fat doesn't seem to change my blood glucose for 3-5 hours depending on what it's with. And then its a low mound, not a spike. If, however, I eat pizza, a combo of fat and starch with some protein, the fat slows down conversion of starch and protein. They hit in 3 hours.
If you only eat protein and fat, check your blood sugar in 2-3 hours and inject then.
If you eat only carbohydrate, it will start changing to glucose in 10-30 minutes.
If you give insulin and eat only protein & fat, you will get low blood sugar because the insulin acts before the protein and fat change to glucose. You will not see a change in blood sugar for the first hour after eating protein alone. But later on 50-60% of the protein changes to glucose. Takes awhile before it shows.

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. What about fat. I mean 50% of the fat changes to bs just like the protein?

I have a pretty similar take to Leo2. Generally, all digestible carbs convert to glucose. Simple carbs, right away, within a few minutes, complex carbs (i.e. whole grains) longer, perhaps up to 1-2 hours. Carbs that supposedly cannot be digested are called fiber, however it turns out, most people actually digest significant portions fiber and your body absorbs this over a long period 3-6 hours as blood sugar and fat (yes, fat). Some people get a real blood sugar rise out of fiber.

Protein is absorbed over a 3-5 hours, some of which is absorbed directly as protein and the rest (as Leo2 notes, 50% or so) is converted to blood sugar. Fat eaten alone is directly absorbed as fat and causes no rise in blood sugars. Some people find that eating fat with carbs slows the digestion and enables a higher blood sugar rise. As a result, some historical ways of counting (like the TAG method) suggested counting 15% of fat as converting to blood sugar. Since I follow a low carb diet, I don't consider fat as contributing to any change in blood sugar.

well, i just ate protein and fat to see what happens and they started to affect my bs after 2.5-3 hours. however half of the fat calories seemed to effect my bs as well. maybe since i am type 1 diabetic i have different metabolism..

Leo's a Type 1. I'm also T1 & experience protein & fat as he does. The effect fat has for me is slowing down digestion so that carbs & protein take longer to hit. I bolus for protein, but not for fat. You may be a good converter of fat to glucose, but it's still not a large percentage. Fat is calorie dense, of course, & go by grams not calories if you decide to bolus for fat content.

I do not know really...
Protein and fat does not seem to effect my bs till a couple of hours, then a spike occurs. for example, through sleeping if i eat fatty stuff such as walnut about 50 gram i got really really high bs through morning although i do have good bs normally.
And according to what you people say by 15% of fat and %50 of protein calories convert to blood sugar, normally an extra long lasting insulin unit should be enough to balance what i eat, though it does not for me...

Musi - Are you saying 50 grams of walnuts by weight? That's about 6 Tablespoons?
Honestly I can't eat that many walnuts without trouble. Short acting Insulin doesn't cover it for me due to the time lag. Long acting isn't appropriate - lasts too long.
That many walnuts have 7.2 gm carbs, 9.6gm protein, and 28.2gm fat. On a 1:4 insulin:carb basis, I would need about 2 units early on, 1 unit in a couple hours, and a half unit in 3 hours. I usually solve the problem by eating a couple walnuts and stopping there! I have sworn a pact with myself not to let myself spike!

thanks for the reply and let me ask sth :)
if you have 1:4 insulin:carb ratio and if %50 of protein and %15 of fat changes changes to glucose why you do just 1 unit and .5 unit of insulin later on?
what i mean is with some math calculation, 9.6 gram of protein equals to 38 cal and taking 50% of it you almost need to do 1 unit of insulin(which you admitted as well!) but 28.2 g of fat equals to 252 caloris and taking 15 % of it you will need to do 2 units of insulin instead of .5 as you said. so can you explain me why you do just .5 of insulin for the fat?

If you just count half the protein as carbs, then the total effective carbs would be 7.2 + (50% * 9.6), which is 12 grams. So if you have an ICR of 1:4, then you would need 3 units, two which you can take early on and another later. This technique is called an a split or extended bolus.

If you choose to use the TAG system (I don't, and I speculate that Leo2 doesn't either), then you would count 15% of fat as carbs. I don't.

Hi, I am very interested to know: HOW do you exactly know when will the carb start to take effect in your body?

Do you have a way to test it?

Fussy, you test with your meter.

I don'think there is an exact answer to this question. In my own experience for many years, you can eat the same exact thing at the same exact time every single day...and no two days will result the same. I have resulted low/high/perfect, for no good reason.

I think you can test and figure out when certain foods begin to "mix with blood", but don't forget that what you do each day can be a factor, stress and even elation can be factors, and just sometimes nothing at all can be a factor.

When you figure out the answer to this question, publish it...you will make millions!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service