I often hear people sharing that when they were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, their doctors sometimes (often) told them a rather specific time-frame for a cure - in the next 5 years, in the next 10 years....it surprises me, as I was never told anything of the sorts. "Diabetes is a life-long chronic disease, and that's that" was the message pretty much.

Maybe I did not have the most optimistic doctor...but I wonder what is worse - given hope for a cure that is not met, or not being told anything at all?

What did your doctor say when you were diagnosed?

Tags: 1, cure, diabetes, industry, research, type

Views: 1118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old (27 years ago) and I seem to remember hearing the doctor tell my mother that a cure was right around the corner.

26 years ago, 10 minutes after I was diagnosed, I was told there would be a cure in 5 to 10 years.

The 10 year mantra sounds familiar to me.

I was diagnosed in 1973 and my Dr then told me that a cure would be in the next 5 years. I kinda think he missed it. 39 years and counting. When my daughter was diagnosed in 1999 that's when I finally heard from her dr that it was a life long disease that no "cure" was on the horizon.

I did not get the cure promise, I got the worse case scenario lecture. I gave up on "cure" more than 30 years ago when I realized the cure was not going to happen in my lifetime and the folks who claim a cure is on the way are just looking for money/support for their effort. We have had some pretty amazing advances in management, though.

Until the cause of my own condition - T1 autoimmune is identified...a cure will not happen.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago and I recall the pediatric endo telling my mother that any day now there would be a cure. I don't know that he truly believed it based on the research at that time, or if it was a sort of standard comment to lessen the blow. I'd long forgotten the statement until I read it a few times when I joined Tudiabetes and I thought to myself, "Hey, that's what my doc said". Oh well, we can always hope.

I had the 5 year promise when I was diagnosed in 1987. I have gotten that same promise 1000 times since then , It is to the point I tell a new doctor that I am seeing, " Please don't tell me the 5 year LIE "

The best we can hope for in 5 years is better or easier control.

I've never heard anything about a cure from doctors or, really, anywhere besides diabetes oriented message boards?

So true! And on those same boards we can even find claims from folks who ARE cured!!

There are lots of places working on a cure, and they are happy to take your money. I am going to put my money toward those jet pants Tim mentioned :)

See, same thing for me pretty much. When I was first diagnosed, and the subsequent months, no one said anything about a cure...it seemed like a fact that we would have type 1 for life. Than you come on the DOC and you find out there is hope at least...something to fight for. Being/feeling on your own with a chronic disease is not a good thing...a wider community is needed.

Whether it is today or 50 years ago:

5 to 10 years till the cure for diabetes.

5 to 10 years till cheap clean fusion power.

5 to 10 years till hover cars.

5 to 10 years till jet pants.

Really, still five to ten on those jet pants? But I've been saving up my nickels. So want a pair....

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service