I was officially diagnosed this morning with Type 2, and it's hereditary from both my grandmothers and my mother, so the odds were already stacked against me. I eat very well and I am active. I guess I'm going through the, "Why me?" phase of the diagnosis. I got my pills and strips today, my machine I will receive by next week.

I guess I have to take the bull by the horns and hunker down even more on my diet, and increase my exercise regime...

I have been given a list of things to eat, which I already do, so I don't know what the dietician could tell me..."Please keep doing what you're doing"? I guess my next step is to buy a scale and start by reconfiguring my portion sizes? 

When will I be able to dine out with my husband or my friends again? 

What is the first thing should I do? Clean out my fridge & cupboards? What did you do?

Tags: 2, Type, first, steps

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How are you doing Sweet? Sounds like you are hanging in there. The diet is a challenge for me too. That is funny about the water. Actually I believe that how much water you might need is dependant on your weight so smaller people may not need that much (I'll have to find the website where I saw this). But since I recently ended up in urgent care because of dehydration and the nurse told me that diabetes are more prone to dehydration that non-diabetics. Not to scare you but just to keep in might - of course you don't have to have all your liquids be water of course - you will get alot from your veggies etc.Soup will be good too! I have been having some Emergen-c which has vitamins and electrolytes in it which I need right now. For me, I love water. I drink it all day but yeah, I know most people get sick of it. I drink filtered water so I like the taste of mine. :). I do miss oj though and juicy fruits. But I glad I am rebounding back for my dehydration mess and my body is letting me have my water again. :) Right now, my challenge is more protein and finding out what to eat there. I have be more creative I guess. Btw, are you taking any meds? Just wondering how it is. I am nervous about mine (side effects etc). I will be taking Metaformin.
I was also very surprised when I found out I have Type II diabetes on January 2010. I have been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old, I am 5'7'' and weight 130 pounds, I just turned 32...and most important...I don't have a family history of diabetes or even obesity. My doctor didn't explain much, he said that it can happen to anyone and that mine was probably caused by my pregnancy (I had gestational diabetes), and that for many women it goes away, but that I was one of the few that stay diabetic...I don't know if I had it before, I was never tested, but my doctor thinks that it all started with my pregnancy because the A1c they did when I was 28 weeks pregnant was 5.6, so if I had it already, it would have been higher than that. I had an A1c done on January (3 months after my baby was born) and it was 6 already. I am not on medications yet, my doctor said to try diet and exercise first. I have an appointment on April, I will ask more questions and I hope to see my A1c lower than 6%. I still question myself every single day, why me? what happened? But I know that is nothing I can do to change that, what I should do (and what I am doing) is take care of myself to have a better life. I don't want to end up blind, or with renal failure, etc..But if I ever get those complications, at least I would not blame myself because I will know that I did everything that was on my hands to avoid them...I am doing it for my kids, for my family, and for myself because I love life, I love it more than ever!! I just wanted to reply to your post because it caught my attention that other people who have a healthy lifestyle also got diagnosed with Type II...I guess there is still a lot of research that needs to be done to find more answers and, most important, the cure to this disease. Good luck and take care!!
Hi Aquarius,

Thank you for the encouraging words, I do appreciate it. I hope your pre-diabetic status stays in that range and does not get worse. I had the highest reading for the week--10.3. I was discouraged for a minute and then had to snap out of it because 1) I was at work and 2) I cried enough this week.

Eight days ago my life changed. I am now 8 days old, tomorrow 9...

Take care of yourself, as well.
Jo
I ate "normally" for the first 3 days after I got my meter, and I tested and kept a food/BG log. It was my weekend to work, and I wanted to know how I was doing, since I'd already been cutting down on carbs for about a year. It was a relief to find out that my "typical" lunch food is okay. I also wanted to know how much of an impact was the coffee with sugar and cream that I sip on all day long.

Then on day 4 I lowered my carbs to less than 30 per meal, got the sugar out of my coffee and really got to work.

Keep learning! You'll do all right.
I got diagnosed the day before super bowl !! that sucked. Don't get down too much about the diet. My dietician said that nothing is really off the table but you will have to limit several things, mainly carbs and sweets of course. My current meal plan is for 60 g of carbs at each meal, and 15 g at each snack time (3x a day). The good news is veggies are mainly OK, so have some extra salad of carrots, does'nt sound like fun but you will get used to it. The good news for me has been that since I began eating better I can honesly say I've felt the better than I have in a long time. If your levels are high, give it time they should come down as you change diet and meds. Best of luck
I think the best resource for new diabetics is called Blood Sugar 101 www.phlaunt.com/diabetes
It changed the way I managed my diabetes . I eat low carb (30 a day) and exercise 1-2 hours most days. I found when I gave up grains and cereals and breads my numbers went way down.
It sounds like you have some good habits in hand already. Good for you, most of us start out needing to form those habits. I don't think you need to completely clean out your cupboards or frig, although I haven't been in them, but you might want to go through it and look at labels a little more closely. Check for carbs and levels of carbs...that's a great place to start. What can the dietician help you with, well, how about carb counting, how about knowing how to eat out with your husband and friends? Those are all things that I learned when I went. I see mine once every 6 months for a tune up on my skills, and I have been at this for 10 years so far. Since what you put in you is as important as your exercise and meds.....it is a great idea to have this person on speed dial for questions etc. I used to think that cheese was completely off the plan...but come to find out that cheese in moderation is a good thing....who knew? Not me. The first thing I would do is make the appt to see the dietician.....that's a good start. Then keep the exercise, and learn to track what you eat, your emotions, your exercise and of course your numbers. You don't have to do it all at once, but work yourself into it....and remember we are here to help, support and encourage you. Welcome to our club!
Eat Test Test :) Thats what I had to do to figure it all out. Everyone reacts differently to different carbs. I dont measure carbs, but try to make the best choices I can based on what is presented. Any yes I slip, a lot! But In 3 months l've lost 29 lbs buy avoiding carbs, trying to eat less, and walking...for at least a half an hour...more if I can...its been working for me...I hope you can find the right mix for what works for you! Trial and error my friend! :) dont get discouraged.
oh hunny welcome to the club no one wants to join.
I keep little or no food at home. I keep snacks for my husband that I don't like.
Sugar free jello is your friend!!
You will find lots of help online, the d'sibs will be along shortly but I suggest you read this site, and Diabetes Daily is helpful too.

Hang in there and remember that is is way better to be D now than 100 years ago!!!
Karen
I can tell you what I did. I was diagnosed almost a year ago. I had a blood sugar reading of 267 and an A1C of 11. Fortunately, I have a good friend who has been diabetic for over 50 years and is in better shape than most people half his age and nondiabetic. He told me to go on a very low carb diet, like Atkins. I did and stuck to it miltantly. In less than 2 weeks, my blood sugar readings went down to between 90 and 115 and has stayed there since. I have been off any pills for the last 6 months As of my last blood test, my A1C is at 5.5. It has been a year and honestly, I am more healthy than I have ever been. I did not even get the flu or a cold this last flu season and no seasonal allergies...REALLY. The nutritionists will freak at a low carb diet but it has worked for me and everyone I know with diabetes who has done it, it has worked. I cannot tell you what to do, but that is what works for me. If you stick to the diet, you can go out with your husband and you can enjoy a mostly normal life with just a few adjustments in diet.
what of the kidney issues that arise by eating such a high protein diet?

Can you offer a few meal plans that yu might choose from for lunch or dinner?
No ceral or oatmeal for breakfast the either eh
I freaked out, that's what I did. Not exactly the best thing to do, but what else is there when you get told your diabetic and have to start doing things differently. I was diagnosed back in June of 2007, drank a lot of regular pop and wasn't active at all.

The dietician may say to just keep on doing what you are doing. However, you could also ask what you could change and what are some things to notice. How often are you eating and what signs do you have to tell you when to eat are a couple of other ideas that you could pass along. The dietician is there to help you so do ask questions if you have them.

If I could do it again, I'd probably start with a "Where am I?" project listing what I eat, when I eat, and those kinds of things as that will help to identify the problem spots. One of my big ones was not eating breakfast. Now I eat breakfast quite regularly.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service