I was officially diagnosed this morning with Type 2, and it's hereditary from both my grandmothers and my mother, so the odds were already stacked against me. I eat very well and I am active. I guess I'm going through the, "Why me?" phase of the diagnosis. I got my pills and strips today, my machine I will receive by next week.

I guess I have to take the bull by the horns and hunker down even more on my diet, and increase my exercise regime...

I have been given a list of things to eat, which I already do, so I don't know what the dietician could tell me..."Please keep doing what you're doing"? I guess my next step is to buy a scale and start by reconfiguring my portion sizes? 

When will I be able to dine out with my husband or my friends again? 

What is the first thing should I do? Clean out my fridge & cupboards? What did you do?

Tags: 2, Type, first, steps

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I freaked out, that's what I did. Not exactly the best thing to do, but what else is there when you get told your diabetic and have to start doing things differently. I was diagnosed back in June of 2007, drank a lot of regular pop and wasn't active at all.

The dietician may say to just keep on doing what you are doing. However, you could also ask what you could change and what are some things to notice. How often are you eating and what signs do you have to tell you when to eat are a couple of other ideas that you could pass along. The dietician is there to help you so do ask questions if you have them.

If I could do it again, I'd probably start with a "Where am I?" project listing what I eat, when I eat, and those kinds of things as that will help to identify the problem spots. One of my big ones was not eating breakfast. Now I eat breakfast quite regularly.
Yu are doing a good thing, gather info, share storioes with others that have been there. We all have something to share both good and bad experiences, just rememvbeer to sort out what you here and watch the bigger picture, as thru the internet to a lovely place to share ideas...rememvere it is the gammit of peopl;e withj may extenuating mental health issues, and or other dianosis that do not pertain to you. But it givrd yu a good amount of info to learn, share ( give the proper amount of ponderance) to what you read., If you know what I mean?

decide what method of testing, which meter you will use and incorporate thje testing into your lifr so long periods of time don't go by without testing. consistantly.

What meter have you slected?
How often will yu be testing and were goals set as whjat yooue=r waking numbers shuld be vs a cxol hour after meals?
Hi! I cut out butter and only drink no fat milk and eat 12 or 15 grain bread. Mostly I just backed off on the snacks and bedtime ice cream! Went from 298 to 282 with 90 more lbs to go. I'm type II and just smaller portions help. I average around 130 to 150 and take metformin twice per day. I also found a pepsi with 0 cal, 0 carbs and 0 sugar even some with no caffeine! THAT'S helped a lot! Good luck!
First thing I did was get a blood glucose meter and a LOT of test strips.
I tested in the morning, right before each meal, 2 hours after each meal, and at bedtime.

I tracked what foods did what to my blood sugars. Foods that spiked me too highly, I either ate less of them, ate them at a different time, or stopped eating them.

I went on a nearly all meat diet with as few carbs as I could get by with, sometimes only 10g of carbs per day, the rest meat cooked on a George Foreman Grill.

I looked up my basal metabolic rate and ate only that for months.

Eventually my blood sugars dropped like a rock, and so did my a1c.

My only a1c's were:
6.8 at time of diagnosis
5.7 six weeks later
5.8 three months after that
5.3 just a few days ago (and that's with huge spikes into the mid to high 200's too).

Let your meter be your food boss, not a book, not a dietitian, and certainly not a doctor.

By the way, I managed to lose 60 pounds of body weight, and got nearly all my numbers nearly perfect. WITHOUT going to a single diabetes class, or following some unrealistic diet plan/scheme. Oh, and all without taking a single medication whatsoever.

Since it got hot and humid outside, my postprandial blood sugars have soared, double, triple, and once quadruple.

I asked my doc for insulin. They gave me my first Humalog pen the other day so I can take 'corrective' insulin dosages. This means when I spike into the 200+ range, I take a shot to bring it back down.

As long as I avoid carbs and especially stay out of the heat, my blood sugars are pretty well controlled.

Don't toss out everything food wise. Your hubby can eat it, your kids can eat it, other family members can eat it.

I had over a 6 month supply of canned foods that I couldn't eat at first. I told my doc that I couldn't afford to eat right, but could only afford to eat cheap.

So, I ate what little I could, the wife ate the rest. We still have some foods that haven't expired yet. It will take time to eat them, but far cheaper than tossing everything and restocking the fridge.

If you take metformin or insulin, many times you can still eat some or most of the foods.

Now, my birthday is coming up. I WILL eat a piece of my own birthday cake with 1 scoop of ice cream come u-know-what-or-high-water.

I will also do this on the holidays too, except I know how to pair my carbs with protein, and how to keep blood sugars more under control. And if that doesn't work, my backup plan is insulin if needed.

YOU rule diabetes, not the other way around.

Look up Dr Bernstein or Atkins or South Beach diets.
Be a good diabetic and once a month you can enjoy some of the off-limits foods without guilt.
Just so you know, any of those diets above can drop your A1c significantly and in a hurry.

If you have medication(s) and they can counteract high carb meals, then you can dine out with your hubby & friends -0 just avoid eating the desserts and high carb stuff. You CAN eat a lousy ear of corn or mashed potatoes, but watch out for the gravy - it sneaks up on you when you're not looking.

Avoid ANYTHING that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup - as of January 17, 2010 there have been links to getting type 2 diabetes and pancreatic cancer.

-Personal observation- I noticed that a lot of newer T2's used to be Mountain Dew addicts... Just something to ponder.
HI ALL

The first thing i did was stop using processed sugar, Coffee is now sweet free, look at not eating white breads.
Learn eat less at a meal.

Change habits nothing can trip one up as quick as an established habit especially eating habits/

Oh n no soft drinks or energy drinks

Hoss
EGM
great suggestions/advice!

However, my coffee is not sweet free. I use the "pink Stuff" (artificial sweetener) - he he

Regarding bread - I try not to eat a lot of it, but I have to.
Ever eat a peanut butter sandwich without bread?

In today's awful economy, I can only afford to eat cheap & on the run.
Eating healthy costs far more than buying medication to control blood sugars.
Two books I really like:

Gretchen Becker's book "Type 2 Diabetes, The First Year". Its like a day to day week to week hand holdng guide through everything you need to learn to do the right things for you. It really helped me.

The second book I got was the Diabetes for Dummies. I got the 3rd edition. Lots of good information. Its a good reference.
Hmmm, diabetes for dummies.....

I wonder if they got a 'wife for dummies book?' LOL

Just a big dummy here. And that glass of chocolate milk tonight tasted soooooo good too!

Note: I can easily burn off any blood sugars under the right conditions. And without a single med too.

However, I prefer to use insulin and lessen the stress of having this disease.

Not much of a life eating, then exercising until I eat again, over and over, day in, day out.

At least with insulin, I can exercise when time permits instead of having my whole life evolve around blood sugars.

Maybe when you come visit, you can bring the book with you? Perhaps take a glance at it?
HI ALL

DA, eat in moderation, I also found that since I've been eating home-baked bread. My sugars have leveled out as well, Processed bread really is full of crap n all the goodness has been refined out.
I seem to be good at around 8 in the morning ? but if i go below 3.5 LOW SUGAR is a major problem

till I'm a bit off a walking GORILLA that may be the reason, different strokes for different folks hey

Hoss
E G M

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service