Does anyone know a creative way to get strips for a discount? We recently lost our insurance and are about to have to re-stock for the month. How in the world can we afford more than $1 per test strip?? We test a ton now that the weather is better and she is moving non-stop. Help!

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check with the manufacturers web sites...they sometimes work with people in your situation. I have bought meters when they are being promoted (they often offer a rebate which makes them free,) just for the 10 free strips that come in the box with them. Grocery and drug stores have been promoting their store brand meters and strips and are sometimes great deals. You could check with the pharmacist to see if they are familiar with any promotions. Your doc might be able to dig up some samples or know of a subsidy program. There has been some discussion about this in the past. Research the older forum questions. Good luck.
I buy my strips on Amazon and usually get them for 50-60% off. Also Walmart has the Relion Meter with 100 strips for $39, pretty cheap. Check the meter websites. I got a Bayer Contour USB meter free and it had 25 free strips. Sometimes pharmacies will have them on sale. I buy them just for the strips. CVS had them last month for $9.99 for the meter with 25 free strips. Bayer also has a "Simple Wins" Plan you can sign up for. I think your copay is $15 for a certain number of strips. Also sometimes they have coupons in the coupon section of the Sunday paper. I always look. Also online pharmacies like www.healthwarehouse.com have pretty good deals. They have four or five versions of every strip. The boxes look different but the strips are the same inside. I buy the cheapest ones, usually around $25 for 50 strips or less.
Gosh, I'm sorry you lost your coverage. Can you get COBRA? It might be less expensive than you think. Of course, it won't be cheap, especially for a family.

I recently ran out of test strips on a Saturday night and couldn't get to my HMO pharmacy. I paid over a dollar per strip at the local commercial pharmacy. What a racket!
I would check out the side kick, from Walmart. 50 strips for 19.99. It is as accurate as my son's other meters and is small and easy to transport. I would also look into your Medical assistance program in your state. Sometimes, if a child has a chronic illness, regardless of income, they will cover that child's health care needs. Pennsylvania has this program.
So sorry about the insurance.
Check out this website: www.americandiabeteswholesale.com it has a lot of specials on all diabetic supplies. I get a lot of my supplies and friend's supplies there since we don't have insurance either. You might also want to join the group Free Stuff, there are people putting up websites with discounts and free supplies on there. Hope this helps.
thanks for all the tips! we just could not afford coverage anymore ($1200) and co-pays for pump supplies were actually MORE than cash payment - plus we were paying that $1200 per month! crazy, i tell you!
I know what you mean, our premiums were just raised to over $1000 a month and we still have a $6000 deductible. So why do we have insurance. We are thinking about dropping it, too. I know people who buy strips on E-Bay, if you are brave. Also check out Bayer and Accu Check, they advertise some program for $15 a month but I am sure there are condiditions.
I believe Abbot has a program with their Freestyle Lite and I think their regular Freestyle where they will give you a meter and then you can join a program where your monthly supply of strips won't be over a certain dollar amount.
Prescription Assistance Program.

This place is reputable, and is for ANYONE that needs help with prescription assistance.

Trisha

DX July 1984 IDDM (=250.01=Type 1) ~ member since 2/15/2011 on TuDiabetes
NEVER DOUBT the power of Diabetes OR the power of diabetics >>>my ADA blog

~ Born with IgA Nephropathy (= a diabetic autoimmune kidney disease)
~ Retired Trauma Radiographer (Level II trauma centers)
~ First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again - PAL (me)
~ He is most powerful who has power over himself -Seneca

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service