My doc has just prescribed an insulin pump--actually, he first referred me to an endo, but that doc wants 6 weeks of classes, $750 for the initial visit, and doesn't take Medicaid. :-( So I've been referred to the rep who supplies pumps and training directly.

I've been on insulin for 20 years and still can't control bGs, so I am more than willing to try the pump. But I have NO idea what to look for. I read a thread on the topic from January, and saw a lot of opinions. Many like the Animas PING, but I don't know if there have been any developments I should know about.

I am 65, female, no danger of wearing a bikini, "brittle," so I think I need CGM. Now using Levemir and Novolog. I have autoimmune diseases--am a bit concerned about site reactions.

What pump or combination of devices should I look at? Thanks~!

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As you have learned, if you have read a number of pump threads, most everyone likes their pump best. After reading dozens of people who ask the same question you do, here is my response. (I have used MM since 1/01.)
1. How much insulin do you take total each day? If it is above 40, I say go with a pump that has a 300 ml reservoir. The company line is "50 u or more." Only MM, of the popular ones in the U.S., does this. That is why I started with MM but I have liked it and stayed with it.
2. Those with low vision seem to like the Animus for its screen.
3. How important is waterproofing to you? Only Animus guarantees that. Though any pump with a hairline crack will allow water in and ruin the pump. I don't swim or get in water otherwise so it is not an issue for me. Well, except for showering and I disconnect for that. You cannot disconnect the pod for any reason but you can either the Animus or MM.
4. All pumps are under warranty for 4 years. So if anything happens to them, they will replace it free.
5. Medicare will not replace a pump for 5 years unless it breaks before then-and preferably not within your fault. So you will have the pump for 5 years under Medicare. My second pump is still going at 5 years and 6 months.
6. From what I read, both Animus and MM work about equally well. Some say that the MM has fewer button punches but that may be evened out by the better screen on the Animus.
7. MM takes a beating from some because they say that customer service is not good. I have never experienced bad customer service from MM. If I were MM and had to replace 5 pumps for one customer I might not be so friendly either. Not that all complaints are that bad. Some sound quite legitimate, but I have also heard some complaints from Animus customers and certainly from the Omnipod pumpers. They are companies; they sell machines; machines can go bad. But my view is that both Animus and MM have great safety records. There are a few horror stories but you have to decide if you will take responsibility for learning how to operate, monitor, and follow all the guidelines for proper pump use. And hope that you remain in the safe group!
8. My best advice is to go to Animus and MM websites and download the user manuals. Then open them both on your computer and compare their features and basic use instructions. Never mind the advanced options. Neither is technically better than the other--but that is my opinion, others may differ.
9. My other best advice is to request a hands-on demonstration of both pumps from their reps. If they will let you try their pump for a week with normal saline, go for it.
10. Read more threads but do your own research with the companies.
Best wishes to you.
Magnificent exposition! I've spent the afternoon looking up info online. I am pretty much enamored of the PING, although I sure wish the Vibe were available here already!

It may depend on what insurance will cover, but at least I now have a clue what to hope for. :-)
Insurance should not care which pump it is besides the OmniPod. I know medicare will not cover the OmniPod and Medicaid in your state may be the same. Otherwise it shouldn't matter.
OK, I just got a call to say I qualified for a pump and that it is being shipped today.

I was so excited that I completely forgot to ask the right questions. I don't even know what model they are sending, although I gather it's a Medtronic.

When I first spoke to the supplier, I asked about the Animas. He indicated that I could decide later, but I was never offered any trials or asked about my preferences. CCS just requested a C-peptide test and a fasting bG (which was done yesterday), then called to say I'd been approved today.

Is this usual? Have I been snookered? Can I still change my mind?
I would call back and tell them you HAVE NOT made your decision. Do not let anyone send you a pump before you specifically tell them exactly what pump you want. Put the brakes on the train :-) And yes I believe someone is pushing you to get on a particular pump. Not sure WHO called and I think the Medtronic pump is great but this type of behavior wouldn't suprise me from them. Tell them you want to check them out first!
Call them ASAP and tell them no one asked, and you want a Ping. Worth a shot.
I agree with MossDog - call them and tell them that you have not decided which pump you want. CCS has a tendency to "push" what they want and that is not necessarily what is best for you. You are the one uing the pump, no one else. You need what fits your needs, not what fits the supply companies income statement.
You were snookered
Only mm has a 300? nope.. Accu chek spirit does too, its 300ml, though its not popular in the us since the pump doesnt do the bolus calculations for you. Animas is around 200ml. You really need a try before you buy on choosing the pump and even getting a hold of a rep and having a demo can tell you how the company is to deal with.
Nice overview, Nell. I went with Animas 2020 before the Ping came out because of the waterproof issue and because the pump screen had bigger font lettering and was in color.
This is a big issue for me, too, as my vision gets really wonky with variation in bGs.
The Medtronic reps REALLY push the button pushing thing. After about 2 weeks it was a non-issue for me. I switch back and forth between the pumps frequently and it does take a little getting used to but not a big deal. I actually read the product manual for the Vibe and their new software pretty much takes care of ALL the button pushing issues.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service