White House Petition to Standardize TSA Screenings For Diabetic Persons Wearing Devices

This we can ALL get involved with... It only takes a moment to sign your name and help us all - Type 1, Type 2, Type EVERYONE...

Please share this on your FB page, in emails with your friends in family... this can make a difference!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/standardize-tsa-screening...https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/standardize-tsa-screening...

Tags: TSA, airport, scanner, security, x-ray

Views: 1478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't say what they want to standardize it to! so I wouldn't sign this.

Zoe,
There is a standard already published on the TSA website. Unfortunately, many of us have found that depending on the airport, some TSA agents follow the standard, while other airports don't. We want to ensure that all TSA agents receive the proper training to follow the standard that has already been set.

Here's the TSA current standards for diabetes: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes

Exactly and getting the White House to pay attention to following existing protocol consistently can't hurt.

My T1 son who wears a pump and travels all over the world has NEVER had a negative experience with TSA and screening. He says they are always very respectful. I tend to believe the people who receive bad service while going thru security with their pump, supplies, etc. have a bad attitude to begin with. My son is always very cheerful and shows them his pump and the officers take care of the rest.

Your son is very fortunate that he's always had positive experiences when going through screening at various airports.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that those who receive bad service have a "bad attitude to begin with".

The founder of tudiabetes and the Diabetes Hands Foundation, Manny Hernandez, had a "bad service" experience less than a month ago at San Francisco's airport.

Top diabetes blogger and social media advocate, Kerri Sparling, creator of Six Until me, wrote a blog post about her "bad service" experience here: http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2013/03/i_have_the_right.html

Please take special note of the almost one hundred comments, some of which are stories from Type 1 parents with children.

If you've ever met Manny or Kerri, you will know that they are cheerful, sometimes to a fault. There are always bad apples in a barrel and I've seen those in the TSA security line without diabetes.

We are asking for standardization across all airports and TSA agents. I wish we could ask them to all be as cheerful as your son and the rest of the diabetic community, but this is a start.

I'm not saying that ALL have a bad attitude to begin with....I should have clarified this better as SOME have a bad attitude. I've seen it numerous times first hand.

I agree with your comment Christel... I aways tell the first TSA agent who checks ID and boarding pass about my pump - they always tell me that I have to wait and let the screener know. By that time I am being pressured to put my purse, computer, other belongings on the x-ray belt as I am explaining my situation to the TSA agents. Typically, my belongings are already on their way through the x-ray as I am almost always told "it's OK" to go through the screening with the pump - once I explain that I can't afford to void my warranty, my personal belongings are out of site. Sometimes, I have to stand out of view of my belongings while waiting for a female agent and sometimes they bring me right through for pat down pretty quickly - but I have no way of knowing. I have asked to be allowed to keep my things in view but this seems to work less than half of the time. I am always very polite because I know that they are in control of the situation. I experience great concern that someone will walk away with my computer or purse (accidentally or otherwise). I have never had a bad experience during the actual pat downs, but the worry of losing sight of my things is extremely stressful - this is a terrible thing to have to go through every time I fly.

We have two T1D kids. Both have respectfully and cheerfully approached TSA Most of the time they are fine. Most TSA agents behave professionally.

Still I have seen one breeze through and the next left in tears by behaviors outside the TSA guidelines. So I have a hard time generalizing the idea that those who are recipients of less than professional treatment by the TSA agents acting outside professional standards are responsible for the TSA agents behavior.

If it is passage behavior that is the issues my bet it was the previous bad attitude who upset the agent who is unprofessionally taking it out on the next unusual situation in line.

Isn't there something already in place with TSA?
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes
Are you saying TSA agents need to be specifically trained to handle diabetics and their needs while going thru the screening process?
My very good friend is a TSA agent and they are thoroughly trained for these procedures. I believe the true problem lies with people's attitudes and behaviors while dealing with the public and their jobs on a daily basis. Also, the turn over with TSA agents is overwhelming so this may cause a problem as well. What this world truly needs is more empathy towards one another.

Also, is everyone traveling with their "Notification Card" for Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions?? My son also told me he whips out this card and begins the screening procedure with ease.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/notification-card

My hope would be a consistent level of training across TSA locations.

This is especially needed with the turnover you mention.The seasoned veterans like your friend most likely know what to do and follow the guidelines. Some TSA agents insist a device can be X-rayed when the manufacturer says it should not. This while TSA has existing processes that recognize the device should not be x-rayed. Like you say it may be turn over and like you say empathy matters and that is a two way street and the same expectation you hold the public to the TSA should uphold as well.

Hey Dino's mom!

Like Dino I've been very lucky too. I have even skated through TSA screening while my travel companion (who is also a type 1) got hassled.

I signed this petition because even if I haven't had problems with TSA inconsistencies, I don't WANT to either.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service