Do you eat bananas even though you know you will spike later?

Views: 831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can only eat them if I weigh them and bolus for the exact correct amount of carbs, otherwise I can never guess correctly how many carbs one has. They don't make me spike.

Funny how every body reacts on food..but I eat 2 bananas a day..and it gives me a more time released sugar and never gives me a peak..When I eat an apple my sugar go's extremely high..direct..and when I eat watermelon and pineapple they give me an extreme peak too. My diabetologist is doing research about obesitas and foods..and told my I was right..there is the same amount of sugar in an average size apple as an average banana..but the sugar in the banana is slower and in the apple fast..

A banana is a very healthy snack..better dan any granola bar (those are full of preservatives and fat and sugar) So I eat my banana a day..and it keeps the doctor away...

I absolutely love bananas--they're the one of the few fruits I like. They're on my ever-growing list of non-negotiables (along with coffee, dresses, and the occasional small piece of chocolate). I didn't know that they generally made people spike. I've only been diabetic for a couple of months, so there's a lot I don't know yet. I haven't really noticed any spikes, but I don't know if they don't happen or if I'm just not looking for them.

I like your list of non-negotiables, Nel. Mine are coffee, wine, also dresses though I haven't yet worn one with my pump, and being vegetarian.

I also don't spike from bananas. I eat one as a dipper for nut butter (yeah, weird, I know!) and my blood sugars are fine afterwards. If you check two hours after eating Nel, that is when you would see spikes if they happen.

The only fruit I have too much trouble with to be worth eating are mangos, oranges and pinneapples.

I do not like the taste nor the smell of mangos.
Can eat oranges without a spike if I bolus for them 15 minutes prior to consumption. I LOVE canned ( in natural juice) or fresh pineapple, but they spike me so quickky, they are like candy. Only eat them when I am lowish (65-70), though I love them so. And Ms. Zoe, I do dresses all the time. Much more preferable to slacks in the summer. Message me for tips on how to pull it off ( oops: I meant wearing the dress, not the dress itself, not in this thread LOL)

God bless,
Brunetta

God bless

LOL. I agree about summer; I've moved back to the hotlands from the cool Bay Area (triple digits except with thank goodness low humidity). I have already found sales on a couple long skirts which I love but also have a couple sleeveless dresses I haven't worn in a few years. I have tried the bra thing which didn't work for me because I've finally found a bra brand that fits perfectly (I know, TMI). I'm going to order and try the thigh thingies.

I also eat bananas and peanut butter. So yummy. :) I also tried bananas and icecream--also really yummy. I had about 15 g carbs' worth of icecream with a banana and peanuts on top. They went well together and kept the bowl of icecream from seeming too small. Yummy! :)

Not big on peanut butter - I like every other nut butter though - almond, cashew, macadamia. Same thing and I think the protein (I don't exactly eat teaspoons of it!) helps limit the spikes.

I eat 20g carb worth of banana - yes, I weigh them - in my morning oatmeal almost everyday. No spike.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service