I was just reading on a low carb diet forum and a type II posted that they use Lantus, metformin, and Regular and I was wondering if anyone here uses Regular or knows why on earth it would be better for anything than Humalog or Novalog or isn't there another similar new one. I was thinking maybe there are some people who have a bad reaction to the better fast acting insulins? I just cannot imagine any scenario that would make Regular seem like a good idea. For one thing, I never think, "hmmmm, I am really gonna be hungry in five and half hours, so I'd like to do some insulin NOW." lol

If anyone here is loving their Regular, I mean no harm. I'm just really curious about this. There is probably something I'm missing...

Views: 1141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Annie,

I use Regular & Apridra. Ratios are diffferent. Regular takes around 45 minutes to kick in, compared to rapid acting that starts in 15-20 minutes. It also stays in the body longer. Not a dumb question at all:)

Gerri, how do you manage that complexity? I would think calculating insulin-on-board would be tough when mixing types, and one of the insulin vials would likely expire before I'm done with it. I'd love to have some Apidra lying around for the really stubborn highs, but I know it can be quite time-and-temp sensitive and when I needed it, it would probably not be any good anymore.

Never mind, I just read Trudy's and your comment below. It still seems tough to manage!

It is!

Yep, It really, really is!

Related to using Regular for pizza: if you have slow digestion, as I do, or worse yet Gastroparesis, Regular can be very useful. When I eat a fairly large mixed meal (usually dinner), I take 1/2 or 2/3 the total insulin in Apidra and the rest in Regular (two different shots, not a mixed shot in one syringe). The Apidra covers any potential spike, and the Regular gives the long lasting effect necessary for slow digestion.

I use the Regular at one other time: first thing in the morning, I need some insulin to give me some basal until my morning dose of Levemir begins to act. For this I do mix the two insulins in one syringe: one unit of Apidra and one of Regular.

It's hard to stay stable on MDI with slow digestion, but using Apidra, Regular and Levemir works for me.

One reason R is used despite it being an older insulin...well a couple of reasons...for one it is a considerably cheaper insulin, for those who are under insured or no insurance it is considerably more cheaper to use. Even with really good insurance I pay around 77 dollars a month for my 3 vials of Humalog.

I agree it is a lot harder on R/NPH, I was on that for over 27 years. The nightmare highs and lows were AWFUL.

That's a big co-pay! My copay is 25 no matter how many bottles, but I'm going to have a ton of co-pays pretty soon. Right now it's Humalog, Lantus, and strips, but I'll be adding two more drugs I think, a statin and something protective for my kidneys. I can't even imagine what this would be like w/o insurance.

Both my Humalog pens and my Lantus pens were $60 copays. And since Im now on a pump and am getting 3 vials of Humalog my copay was around$77. Even Levemir for the month I tried that mess was a $60 dollar copay. Unfortunately most of these newer insulins do come with higher copays. You are really fortunate with your you are getting Humalog and Lantus for such a low copay.

I'm T1. I use Regular, Apidra & Levemir. I have gastroparesis, a neuropathy effecting the vagus neve that causes delayed stomach emptying. Digestion is highly unpredictable with gastroparesis. With Apidra, I have lows after eating & then highs later when food hits & Apidra is gone. I need the longer action & slower response of Regular. I use Apidra to correct highs & for breakfast & lunch bolusing. Dinner is the most frustrating meal regarding digestion. Regular works beautifully for my evening situation. So, yea, I love it.

Regular takes about 45 minutes to kick in.

I'm happy there's something that works right on your time frame. That's kind of cool.

For a low carb meal with protein in it... humalog can just kick in too fast.

Regular really is a pretty good match to a lot of complex meals. Meals that aren't necessarily high carb but have proteins or fats.

I used Regular and NPH for 23 or 24 years and by the end I had really gotten pretty good with using it in a basal/bolus MDI routine. Yeah, I had to take regular well before many of the meals and the NPH was spread over 4 little shots 6 hours apart, but given those timing details it worked out pretty well for me.

Now I use Lantus and Humalog and I'm getting better at it but I'm not honestly sure I'm as fine tuned as I was with NPH + Regular.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service