Hello,
I have been an incredibly hard time managing my diabetes the past year because it seems like my ratios and or basals change almost every couple of days and i can't keep up with it. Never used to be like this when younger. Any idea why?

Views: 1612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i've pushed my final pump training out too, delay of actually going live on insulin, for a week, too much activity planned, don't want to go low, etc. Ya know, I must say...when I get my numbers right (today was a good 85 - 100's day) it's amazing to me how truly GOOD I feel, it's night and day; all my aches, pains, headaches, eye pain, excessive sweating - chills, exhaustion..etc...it all goes away..all of it...I LOVE INSULIN..but seriously, it makes me so grateful that we do have these 'new insulins'. Makes me also realize how much my body truly needs insulin, when it doesn't get it, it's sick..well, that's basically the same for all of us. Our drug of choice!

Thisis the reason I found all u people here.I was looking for help after 5 days with readings not lower then 350 and perfect atempt to do everything right.To this day I dnt know what happened.I changed from belly to leg to belly again and it seemed to work on my shoulder>Go figure :( Pumps paly tricks on you too :(

Hi Tom,

It might be easier to find an answer to "Why does the wind blow?"

If you're struggling with insulin adjustments related to exercise, you should get a copy of Sherri Colberg's Diabetic Athlete. It's available on Amazon and everywhere else.

Good luck and cheers,
Mike

Zoe, I love 'understanding is the booby prize'. I may have to put it on my fridge. I tend to being OCD-ish about my numbers, and I really WANT to know the 'whys', but I've come to realize that I can't, always. Not that I like it one bit.

Tom,
I have been experiencing a very similar thing lately as I get more aggressive with my weight training schedule. It used to be I never wore my pump to the gym because I would experience lows. Now on days when I lift especially close to my max I feel like I am all over the place. Some days I will leave the gym and my bs will be 42 some days it will be close to 200. I have maintained tight control for years so this is very strange for me. I am trying to figure out if it is something specific to the stress response to lifting. Like a release of corisol or something else. Anyway, just thought I'd share that I am experiencing something similar after years of no trouble.

I'm thinking its growth hormones perhaps.

I actually bolus extra for weightlifting. I've come to believe that the stress hormones, adrenaline, cortisol etc cause a blood sugar rise. Without the bolus, I would regularly be 200 mg/dl after lifting. I have found that by eating before and bolusing, it can help buffer against the rise.

I also experience a stronger overnight Darn Phenomenon after lifting. I believe this is growth hormone, which often surges overnight after training days.

I can almost set a watch by the lows I experience 6 hours after lifting. I'll go up to 200 or so 2 hours afterward, but that 6 hour point? I better have some food nearby.

I attended a diabetes support group where we were told that almonds stabilize blood sugar and we should eat 16 almonds each day. I followed that advice and, to my amazement, it helped. I am on a pump after 55 years of diabetes and still enjoying life.

A lot of things can make ratios and rates change. Some wouldn't apply to you (ie women's hormones), but others might. I know for me....lately I've had to make a ton of changes. I think that some of it is due to eating a bit lower-carb than I was previously. My body seems to handle the lower-carb meals in a different way and both my I:C ratio and my basal rates have decreased.

Full Moon!!!

That is why we test and correct every two hours. Once I am close to fairly good numbers with basal and bolus dosages. I test and correct.

One very bad endo I went to, who was a Type 1, said every day is different and I have added it is not an exact science.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service