Hello,
I have been an incredibly hard time managing my diabetes the past year because it seems like my ratios and or basals change almost every couple of days and i can't keep up with it. Never used to be like this when younger. Any idea why?

Views: 1605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree on the CGM. Makes it much easier to correct afterwards. Are you familiar with the differences between types of activities, and take that into account? Muscle Building activities tend burn your liver and fatty tissue more to increase glucose in the blood stream, and cardiovascular activities tend to decrease the glucose in the blood stream and improve the insulin sensitivity.

So lifting may increase sugars, and jogging may decrease sugars. High heart rates will also increase sugars, counter to what seems logical.

On the meter, once I tested myself on 4 different meters at the same time. One was a BD and three others were different types of One Touch Ultras. All of the ultras read a sugar between 60 and 75. The BD meter showed a 143.

Lastly, illness is a big problem on sugars. I've had a cold for the last week and a half and have had to set my basal rate at 140%. And that doesn't even cut it sometimes. Once I called my doctor when my sugar was over 350 for about 8 hours straight. I hadn't eaten anything but I had taken 6 units of novolog each hour with no effect. He asked if I was sick, and attributed it to that.

The fact that they do change is reason why health care professionals must keep an attitude of accepting facts, analyzing them, and helpfulness, and not ever, ever, let their own frustrations come out in emotional criticism of the PWD to whom these changes can become justifiably overwhelming.

I agree Leo. That should be the first thing taught and ingrained with the medical community who treat diabetes. Blaming the PWD causes more harm than good.

When I was first diagnosed, Type 1 but actually misdiagnosed as Type 2, and the oral meds weren't working, I remember a nurse telling me "if you don't start taking care of yourself, you're going to die, is that what you want?"...all the while I was begging to be put on insulin because I was so sick. Moved to an endo after that and got proper treatment.

don't you think too, there's a big emotional - psychological component built in to all this, at least there is for me. frankly, while still being some what of a rookie with this, I get a bit fearful of increasing my basals at night not knowing what my body is going to do, having to do corrections - dropping like a sky rocket, etc...frankly, it's scary. health care professionals need to take this into consideration too. this is not an easy thing to manage. every time I see a high number..I'm like crap..now I have to correct, hope i get the right amount..and then I just want to test like every minute to make sure I didn't give myself too much. ugh!

I completely agree Type1Gal. I've developed this nightime problem where I'm dropping like 60 points overnight beginning shortly after midnight. Only it doesn't happen every night. If I take less basal at nightime, I run high. So not knowing if it's going to be "one of those nights" where I drop like crazy, I am fearful of correcting at night.

But, yes, health care professionals need to take into consideration the fear involved with trying to correct problems that crop up. My endo and CDE listen but the way they respond to my concern and fear is to want to adjust my settings so that I'm too high.

Space aliens.

i guess i just don't know how to adjust to it quickly enough because usually adjustments take trial and error over at least a couple of days- and by the time i got that nailed down my body is doing something else.

Yep, that's just like me. Except sometimes I get angry and rage bolus out of impatience..which starts the high/low roller coaster ride.

I agree with the whole "phases of the moon/space aliens" thing. For awhile I tried to figure out the reason for variations, and sometimes there is one which is great. For awhile I thought I might be having "LADA spurts" - making periodic insulin which skewed my results, but there was never a way to know for sure and given how little I was making when I was tested 3 years ago, I doubt it.

I was looking for answers to some particular craziness on here one day and someone responded something like, "there are a lot of possible reasons, but mainly I would just suggest responding to what's going on without worrying about why." Most of the time (except when there is an actual reason to learn from) that is what I do. I seem to go through "clusters" myself, where everything will be stable and then I need to make a bunch of alterations for a few days; mainly my basals, my I:C doesn't change much. I do encourage you to continue with your show pace of adjustments, because otherwise you risk the old roller coaster ride.

Fritz Perls, a famous Gestalt Therapist had a saying, "understanding is the booby price" - I think it relates to D management very nicely!

Don't know where to reply to everyone, but this is why diabetes sucks. No matter how hard folks try, no matter whether they do everything right, there are variables in their sugar readings very often and no explanation it seems. One endocrinologist said it can be hormones affecting it, and sometimes with type 2, everything clicks and you needed less insulin or more, but there was no way to tell that ahead of time. Seems like it is all guess work. Its what makes diabetics want to give up and do nothing but you can't. You keep doing the best you can and accept there can be highs and lows anyway. The moon is full now...who knows, but I have not seen it causing a corelation in readings on my husband. I didn't know that exertion could affect a diabetic for more then one day, nor that one day of laying around could affect readings for more then a day. Thanks for that info

that's how i'm feeling right now, while still on MDI's..i think we're both about to go on pump soon, yes? I just want to keep taking a bolus, MDI to get these stupid numbers down..I know my issue is with my Levemir, basal..high, low and it effects everything. UGH!

So true, Leo..great post. The job of becoming our pancreas is so ambigious, I'm most certain I don't have the qualifications for this 'job'..but, what's the choice..none. So hatin' this stupid disease!

Yes I go on the OmniPod at the end of this month. I pushed back the training because I have to attend a retreat type meeting for work at a camp in the middle of the woods...spotty cell phone reception. I opted to wait until after this work meeting for pump training.

As it is, a little nervous about dealing with potential nightime lows and dexcom alarms in a dorm type sleeping situation. I'll probably just let it run a little high on purpose but I hate having to do that.

So I share your frustration with the lack of flexibility in dosing with MDI now that I'm close to a pump. It's worked for me for years but my insulin needs were stable for many years, now not so much.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service