I read a lot of stories on here about people not getting what they obviously need. There are people who are pretty obviously type 1 or LADA who are misdiagnosed as type 2 and STILL not getting the insulin they need, and driving themselves crazy to avoid it; there are people whose doctors refuse to do antibody tests, there are people whose doctors don't spend enough time explaining things, or don't refer them for the diabetic education they need . . .

In the end, each and every one of us is responsible for our own treatment. If your doctor isn't helping you and you haven't fired him or her, why not?

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is another page which converts A1c to eaG (estimated average glucose). It is not very accurate if you're not an average glycator -- my 10.7, which occurred after months above 300 and weeks of 400-600 BGs gave me an eaG of 260. Not hardly!

http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx
No one knows the time frame for hemoglobin to glycate. NO ONE.

It is NOT true that hemoglobin glycates the instant red blood cells are made.
If this were true, my A1c would be above 10.
Thanks for the info! You're the Tu Glycination Diva.
Thanks I think??

You see, that information is what I got my endo on. She didn't know it either.

Think of glycation like this:

It works exactly like the way radiation works.
Time, distance, and shielding are what determines your exposure.

Time - how long your blood sugars are high.

Distance - how long between the releases of new blood and the elimination of old blood.

Shielding - available glucose uptake.

This is exactly how I can spike into the 200's and still maintain a NORMAL A1C.

Glycation is an average. Well, if your spike lasts 3 hours, but the rest of the time you are normal, the average will be much lower.

When someone can determine the actual release time of new red blood cells, and the duration of that release relative to the instantaneous level of blood glucose, you can obtain a much more accurate value of the test.

How about this:

You want to artificially lower your A1C?

Easy. Donate blood 8 weeks before the test. Eat 4 baby aspirins a day, every day. Get some leeches. Donate plasma 2 times a week, especially right after eating a meal.

It takes about 8 weeks to replenish the lost red blood in normal people.

Also, you could have a blood sugar concentration that is VERY high at a given volume. Now, if you consumed 2 Liters of plain water, your blood volume would decrease. How much I don't know. But it does hence the need for kidneys...

Let's say you had arbitrarily 100 units of sugar per 1000 units of blood volume.
Let's assume that glycation occured and your a1c would be 10.

Now let's assume for the same 100 units of sugar, you drank 2 liters of water/1000 units of blood volume.

According to the laws of dilution, your sugar concentration would be much lower.
The space between sugar molecules slows down the glycation rate.

Also, if it were true that new red blood glycated with exposed to glucose, then ALL the red blood would glycate. Obviously this is not true.

What fills the empty space in the red blood cell proteins if it's not glucose?
Something does or every cell would be saturated with glucose.

There is some mis information on the internet about the glycation of red blood cells. They are just guessing about it right now.

Any thoughts??
Zolar,

I was thanking Natalie:)
I have also found that should you believe your A1c does not accurately reflect your blood sugar averages, there is another test called fructosamine which works similar to the A1c, but it measures the glycated protein in the blood rather than glycated hemoglobin. The fructosamine test characterizes the average blood sugar over the last 2-3 weeks. It does however suffer from similar flaws and anemia or thyroid problems can affect the result. In my case, the fructosamine is more consistent with my meter readings.

It might surprise you, but I have a database of blood sugar readings for like the last five years and I actually compare the estimated A1c from my readings against the test results and that gives me a consistent way of observing over time how my A1c might diverge from my meter averages.
Actually they are legally required to treat you, depending on your local laws and what medical insurance contract they signed and agreed to..

OR you can sue the pants off them for discrimination/breach of contract.

What doctor wants to endure a lengthy lawsuit, possibly exposing themselves and their practice on the news?

I don't usually get lows. My normal BS are around 85-95.

If no doctor will treat me, then I will self treat, while I ensure I am on the evening news LIVE....
LOL ok sorry Gerri.
Note: I have yet to find a doctor that refuses to treat a little kid.

Those doctors have my respect and admiration. Greed isn't their top motivation...
I don't think I've ever had a doctor who was greedy. I do know they're following AMA protocols, which, being standardized, certainly don't fit everyone appropriately. But they were a reaction against doctors who were lazy and didn't properly care for their patients.
The AMA is so screwed up by politics and special interest groups, you can't trust them either...

And most doctors ARE greedy.

Why do you think they only do a few scant tests at a time?
Keeps you coming back for more and more and more...

Job security.

I asked for 30+ blood tests when I saw my endo. She only did about a 1/3 of them.

Now, I have to have the tests taken again, and still won't get the full endo profile of my blood work to see where the problem is.
Took another 25 units of Levemir and 14 units of Apidra. 2 hour PP after dinner was around 148.

And my endo says I am not insulin resistant???

Go figure...

Note: I had a discussion with a girl working at the GNC store here. She thought she knew all about foods and eating right and all. She even said that different proteins don't raise blood sugars the same.

On the contrary, all proteins raise blood sugars the same. it's just the amount of fat associated with the protein that determines the spike.

I had to discuss about fat too.

She kept insisting that animal fat was bad and etc.

I told here that "really?" then how come I had near perfect cholesterol levels eating a lot of hamburger. She couldn't explain it.

I also told her that everything everyone knows about eating healthy is all wrong.
It's backwards.

I told her to look up Paleo Diet and Dr Bernstein.

When I went to nearly non existent carb consumption, I went through a metamorphosis. I lost weight quickly, my numbers went to near perfect, etc. All in a matter of weeks to a few months.

And I stayed there up to now. I been bad. Eating a bunch of bad foods over the past 2 months...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service