I had a long discussion with a Type 2 diabetic woman who was scared to go on Insulin. I was wondering what were some of the common fears/myths a Type 2 may have if they are faced having to go on Insulin.

Views: 2770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, in my humble opinion, many dietitians are in dire need of re-education.

I am an atypical T2 and during 2 recent sessions, I recently had one Nurse Practitioner challenge me when I said I could not possibly eat 30 carbs in one meal without spiking, even on my meds (Onglyza). She said "Are you sure you aren't a Type 1?"

I said " My antibodies are negative." she did not have a comeback.

In the last session, the CDE told me I absolutely HAD to eat 30 carbs per meal or I would risk spilling protein into my urine and that could lead to kidney failure.

I said "But my glucose spikes up over 200 if I eat 30 carbs even with my medicine."

She said: "Then take more insulin."

Eat more carbs. Take more medicine.

That is what the woman told me.

And I had actually tried that. And I felt like s**t. More carbs + more insulin makes me feel like I just went on a bender (as in too much Jack Daniels or one too many martinis).

NOT WORTH IT!!!

So, this is a really long way of saying that I'm afraid I do not hav much faith in the educators. Especially if you are atypical in any way. Like me.b

Even the MD's have trouble dealing with an out,ire like me...with the CDE's....fuggeddabouttit!!!
I hardly ever use the letters after my name . Usually only if someone tries to blind me with science
Hana
I think at least from my narrow viewpoint that weight gain is a legitimate concern for some. Uncontrolled blood sugars are not an alternative. My brother had severely gangrened feet and it was not a pretty sight.
You're absolutely right that sustained, uncontrolled BGs are not an alternative. But insulin need not cause weight gain if a person is willing to strictly limit carbs, and do whatever exercise they are capable of. If you're willing to eat enough protein and fat, hunger is not a problem, and many people find they lose weight when they seriously limit carbs. And insulin doses go down, too. All is not hopeless!
It has been found that it's not uncommon for teens to leave off their insulin in an attempt to be fashionably skinny.
i read an article about a young girl who lost her sight that way.
Hana
Hana...are you saying these poor girls literally let themselves go into DKA? Gosh, really sad. Are they Type 1's?
April, there are some of those girls on this website. Their blogs make heart-wrenching reading.
They would have to be Type 1's, because it takes an almost complete absence of insulin to lose weight while still eating. Type 2 girls who omitted their meds would just get hungrier, eat more and get fatter, because they are dealing with insulin resistance, not deficiency. If they kept at it long enough, they could drive themselves into a coma, but they wouldn't lose weight.

Ditto about what Lila said -- it's a terrible thing to deal with diabetes along with the emotional struggle of anorexia, which is basically what these girls have. (Some people are calling it diabulimia, but same difference). People CAN recover from anorexia, which is bad enough WITHOUT diabetes, but it's a long, hard road. And everyone who reads their blogs tries to be as supportive as possible, but seems like there is so little we can really do. :-(
Natalie: I think that it also works with Type 2. My brother has stopped all his meds and he is thinner than he's been in years. :( It's alarming because his numbers are literally off the meter. I am also a typical Type 2. I spent two months feeling very ill and eating very little and yet my weight and numbers increased. When I stopped the medication, I lost the 20 pounds I had recently gained. It was gone in just over a month. I have been forcing myself to eat so my numbers are much better. Perhaps with the Type 2 girls, a change in meds might help. For some Type 2s, eating actually helps to lower numbers. This is very difficult to do if one fears eating because of the weight gain. Stopping meds is dangerous enough but stopping meds and food too could be fatal.
When I've lost weight, the doc always asks me "are you trying" which makes me think that losing weight is not generally healthy unless you need to.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service