I had a long discussion with a Type 2 diabetic woman who was scared to go on Insulin. I was wondering what were some of the common fears/myths a Type 2 may have if they are faced having to go on Insulin.

Views: 2709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm impressed that you have the stamina and courage to continue to attend these sessions, and more so that you are willing to tell the truth. :-) Of course, you don't have letters after your name, so that MUST mean you know nothing and are stupid to boot?????

I think we should invent letters to put after our names, like EED for Experienced, Educated Diabetic! LOL!!
Ha Ha Well in truth, I am attending these classes as a companion/ pseudo family member for my Dear Friend and Adopted Mama, Marsha, who was dx'd in m
march with BG's over 500 in March. Here we are in July and shevi still regularly seeing tastings in the high 200's or over 300. She's on 1500 mg Metformin + glipizide + actos. And still not in a good range . Her diet is stellar...low carb and she exercises nicely for someone in her mid-70's. Water aerobics 3-5x per week and strength training 2-3x.

I feel her doc is way too laissez faire! And she had swelling in her ankles the other day!!!! Acts....heart failure??? They told her not to worry unless she had trouble breathing. Hmmm....
Hmmm...
I wonder whether the docs and other professionals will ever figure out that everyone's diabetes is different.

I spent some time with an 85-year-old friend today, who was told she has diabetes, and should avoid carbs. So she is avoiding them almost totally. She's not on any medications. BUT, she also had colon problems, and had her colon and part of her small intestine removed years ago, and is emaciatedly thin . I asked her about her eating habits, and she really takes the carb avoidance seriously, but 4 hours after lunch today, she got 87 on her meter, so she's not really having a lot of trouble processing glucose. I'm not really sure she even has diabetes, in that everyone's pancreas deteriorates as they age, and the standards for the super-elderly (over age 80) need to reflect daily health maintenance, rather than avoidance of complications that they may not live long enough to develop.

Mind you, this is different from your friend, who is probably not emaciated, and is not in the super-elderly category (although I hope she gets there! :-) ) What I am trying to point out is that different people have way different needs, and the dietitian who terrified my friend about carbs really did her a disservice. I am so afraid that she'll catch a cold, and it will turn into pneumonia and snuff her out. She so desperately needs a little fat on her, just to maintain.

Doctors, dietitians and CDEs are SUPPOSED to individualize treatment according to the individual, but we know they often don't. :-(
Yes, I agree...but individualization seems to have gone out the window....
Christalyn EED

I like how that looks!!! I want to start this trend!!
Well, *I* like it!! :-)
I don't think that much has changed regarding type 2's, esp older folks, being unwilling to go on insulin. I still hear those comments about failure and fear of progression in my support group. For me there was some of that, but much stronger was the opportunity to have immediate control over the blood glucose levels. The down side has been weight gain every time my overall dosage goes up--it took a while to see that connection, because nobody mentioned it to me ahead of time. Now I ask myself: 'is this treat worth another pound?', which works much better than guilt as a motivator, lol. Weight reduction comes from reducing carbs which leads to reduced insulin--and hopefully a net loss from both.
Why not do insulin? Most people who don't know very much about insulin and diabetes, think that that treatment is the end...there is nothing after insulin. If they don't manage their diabetes with insulin, then they are 6 ft under so to speak.
But with new advancements that they aren't aware of, this could be the beginning of all the tries and miss hits on the right kind of treatment for themselves. I think insulin treatment even with the advancements is something you must be ready to take on....it's an inner adjustment to the idea...and a lot more education that most people go after.
It's too easy for doctors to promote insulin as the answer and it's too easy to think that it can solve all difficulties. In my dealings with MANY diabetics of several types, I have discovered that what you eat is the most significant thing in Blood glucose control. Just thinking that "a bit more insulin" will do the trick is a trap.
I have met a grossly obese T2 diabetic using U500 in a pump, who still wouldn't even consider altering his diet. It was a while ago and I wonder if he's still alive.
We live in cultures of instant gratification and it's killing too many of us
Hana
I can tell you in the african american culture, to even bring up the idea of nutrition and changing the diet is extremely difficult and will cause arguments. I also try to encourage people to walk around the block. If they don't want to eat healthy than lets do some exercise and get 20,000 steps a day!
I wonder if a big part of the problem might be that doctors *punt* discussing food and turn that over to dieticians? If the doc doesn't talk about food, which 100% of people need, and dieticians are inadequate, as seems to be the consensus in the dietician thread, then that leaves a fairly large hole in the defense that the enemy can storm through?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service