Please share with me what you love and hate about your particular pump. I am trying to figure out which one to go with. Your opinion is valued here.

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wear an Animas Ping and I love it. I chose it primarily because they are slated to combine with the Dexcom CGM in the near (hopefully) future, and I really wanted the Dexcom. I have used MiniMed back in the day (it was a MM 508-old school, I know) but it was pretty good too. I don't think the differences between the two main tubed pumps are so substantial that if you got one over the other you'd be really annoyed. Mostly it's a matter of preferences. If you're thinking about eventually getting a CGM, however, I would seriously do some research as the MM CGM system is a lot different than the Dexcom. I know if you're interested in the Omni Pod they'll send you a trial pod (with no insulin) to wear to see how you like it. Other than that, you might want to check with your insurance co. to see if they cover one more than the another, and take that into consideration as well. When it comes to "concealing" it, I don't really bother. The tubing and cannula are normally under my shirt (unless I've got my cannula in my arm), and the pump itself just clips on my belt like a cell phone or pager. It doesn't get in the way, usually, and no one really notices it. Good luck choosing one!

Omnipod:

The tubeless design is top of the "like" list. It's completely waterproof. Easy to set up and use. Once it's on, I pretty much forget about it until I have to change pods 3 days later. Ut's durable and will remain functional under some pretty extreme conditions. If your body can tolerate what you are doing, the chances are pretty good that the pod can too.

Top of the "don't like" list would be the 10% failure rate. If a pod malfunctions, you will lose insulin. It's very wasteful in general. I always have leftover insulin that has to be trashed along with the dead pod every 3 days. You will generate a lot of trash.

The PDM is easy to use and has it's own BG meter, but it's big and bulky. If you have to carry it around, it takes up a lot of extra space. You can leave it home for short trips, but you'll end up carrying around most of the time.

My son has worn Omnipod since 5 months after dx (20 months), we have been very happy with it. I researched a lot. Read what others liked about their pumps too. Watched insertion videos. Went to company sites, then we had a diabetes expo and we got to handle different ones. It really came down to features and personal preferences, my son had never liked shots in his abdomen, so Omnipod ease of putting it in alternate places was the biggest selling point. Others include tubeless in the sense of it catching on stuff (plays with 5 year old brother). Don't have to disconnect for swimming and showers, withstands the boogie boarding in the Ocean. Meter built-in, new strips take minuscule drop. Size doesn't bother him. Rotates upper-arms, top of the thighs and flank (along with his Dexcom sensor) when his backpack isn't a concern. Future cgm integration. Pod Changes are fast and easy once you've done it a few times. Like the auto-insert, he's never dreaded changing it out and leaves barely a mark that disappears by the next change. No problem with customer service, not many pod failures for us but they will replace and have always pleasant and helpful. Best of Luck. Emily

I have been looking for a document that I sent several friends who I convinced to become pumpers, but can't find it. I created it the Spring of 2010, right after I got the Animas Ping.

I have been using a pump since Jan 1, 2000.

I started with a MiniMed 508 and then had a Paradigm 511. One pump died and they replaced it overnight. No customer service problems with MiniMed except for them mis-billing me $475 automatically from my debit card and it took me three weeks of trying to get it through their billing dept Mgr in Los Angeles that they made a mistake. I finally asked a friend who was their District Sales Mgr to intervene, and he got it corrected.

After that problem, I looked at alternatives and ended up with the Deltec Cozmo pump which was near perfection for me! I gushed about it non-stop. They had so many features that I loved like a reminder to take a bolus for each of the three main meals, and if you did, it wouldn't beep at you like a dumb timer you quickly begin to ignore. I am 6'4" 230# so I take 140U of insulin daily. The Cozmo held 300U, which worked perfectly for me. And customer service was stunning! I work in call center technologies and managed large customer service centers over the years, so have an expectation of good service. Deltec never ceased to amaze me with their excellent customer service staff! But sadly Smiths Medical decided to pull out of the insulin pump market, leaving me with no replacement path.

Given the lack of a replacement should I need it, I got an Animas Ping pump in Jan 2010. I gave the Ping many chances, but absolutely hate this pump in so many ways! After four months of wanting to throw the pump at a brick wall, I wrote a document comparing the Ping to the Cozmo for my friends. That's the document I am looking for. Essentially I have been telling my friends to skip even looking at an Animas and compare all the rest instead. I have had nothing but extremely poor customer service from Animas; e.g., I ordered infusion sets 19 days ago and have not received a single notification of where my order is. I called yesterday (they were closed) and left a voice mail, halfway through the following day, still no call back. I am comparing other models right now, planning to dump the Ping next Jan when my insurer will cover a new pump. I sure hope that I can find the comparison document, if I do, I will upload it here. What do I like about the Ping? Color screen that my previous pumps didn't have. There is not one other positive that I can think of.

My advice is to do your homework and don't take one or two people's advice before jumping. Good luck with your endeavor and I sincerely hope that it works out well for you!

I'm so glad you asked this because I'm switching from a Medtronic Paradigm to an Omnipod and I love hearing that people like it. :)

I am on the mm 723. I have nothing to compare it to, since being new to pumping. However, it is great for keeping control, with the bolus wizard, small basal increments. Downsize is that it takes getting used to being tethered all the time, especially when sleeping.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service