There's a massive difference between the temperature at work (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) and that at home.

At work it's 23-26c / 73-79f
At home it's 17-21c / 62-70f

Can anyone provide advice on how they think this would affect the amount of basal (Lantus) that should be taken.

Presumably there's a case for taking less for work days.

One problem is that someone messing with the controls can mean you can do get reasonable temperature occasional in the office.
It's air conditioning and nothing to do with the weather, so it's hard to predict what they will do...

I'm currently on 1 injection before bed taken around 12-1am.

Tags: Background, Basal, Lantus, Temperature, Work

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yikes, I am one of those really temperature sensitive people, so I feel your pain. When I get warm/overheated, I go low and need far less insulin. Too bad you're not on a pump, because this is one of those situations that is great for a pump (you would just set it at a different basal rate for the times you're at work).

Maybe try decreasing your lantus one unit at a time before bed until you're not going low anymore during work.

Are you going low now during work?

I've been working on my basal and have just gone back into a hot office after the Christmas holidays.

I've been avoiding worktime hypos up til now by reducing the novorapid for breakfast and lunch.
All these little adjustments were masking problems with the basal, and generally making it hard to manage.

The (possibly over-simplified) advice I've always been given assumes the same daily basal dose.

I was thinking along the lines you suggest of taking 1 unit less the nights before work.
This is one last push towards getting my basal right before considering splitting the Lantus, which might make this easier as I'd be adjusting the basal half dose that covered work.
There's plenty of discussions on the splitting, but not much detail on temperature.

I find once it gets to 24c/75f then I really start to feel uncomfortable.
(Relative humidity is well controlled by the system at 50%)

The other difference is that my activity levels vary at the weekend from doing nothing to digging in the garden etc.
Maybe the temperature is a minor(or major?) part of the activity level thing and that's what I should be thinking about?

For me, activity and temperature affect my BGs equally. I use about 5-10 less units per day in the summer months, both the result of being a bit more active and the temps being warmer. Not long ago, my office building increased the indoor temperature during the summer months as a result to save costs, and I immediately began to see some more work-time hypos. It was a bit annoying, but with the pump I'm able to adjust on the fly.

Is a pump not an option at all for you? One thing pumps are really good for is making small adjustments to basal rates for different activities. So, if you wind up being really active on the weekends, you can decrease your basal rates and if less active increase them. I use the temp basal feature SO MUCH on my pump because my activity level is always changing. I also have a different pattern for the weekend to account for more activity, sleeping later, not riding public transit (something that always makes me drop) and eating a bit more. Works VERY well for me.

As I understand it: you have to present a case for getting a pump here and get someone on your care team to recommend you, even if you'd be willing to pay for it yourself. (UK N.H.S)

I think you have to show that you've made every effort to make the adjustments manually first.

Currently 27c/80f degrees for no apparent reason as it's cold outside...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service